Sponsored

Warning! Ford Accessory Install online pricing not honored!

Catmandu1999

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Triumph Spitfire
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I decided to use some of my rewards points from @Ford Motor Company to purchase a keypad. I went online to ford.com, selected the appropriate device for my Bronco, and then added installation as well. I then scheduled the installation with my local dealer right there and then on the website. Easy peasy.

Well, I go to drop the car at the dealer today, and was asked to sign off on $189 for an hour of shop time to install the keypad. I stated I purchased installation online already, should be there on the work order. I was told that they would not honor the pre-purchased installation, and that I would be responsible for any and all time it took to install, with a minimum of one hour to be charged.

I immediately got online to chat with Ford. After explaining the situation, I was told by the representative, "After reviewing my resources, it does seem that the dealer sets the final service price and the installation with part is an estimate. In this case, as the dealer does set their own service pricing, we are unable to intervene. Additionally, as this is not a vehicle concern repair there are no programs that would cover the cost."

Funny, it does not say anywhere during the online purchase process that the installation price shown is an estimate. This is bait and switch at it's finest, NOT a good look, Ford! Buyer beware.
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only $24 to install the keypad? That must not include programming LOL!

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I understand the principle of your complaint, and I agree it's BS that dealers can do this, buuuut...

How hard can it be to install a keypad yourself? 🤷‍♂️

MNBronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I understand the principle of your complaint, and I agree it's BS that dealers can do this, buuuut...

How hard can it be to install a keypad yourself? 🤷‍♂️
Installing is easy . . . if you just want an ornament. It's useless without being programmed and for THAT you need the dealer.
buuuut...
I'm sure you knew that.

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Last edited:

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don't need the dealer, you can do it yourself with the right adapter and a $50 temp license for FDRS. There is a how to around here somewhere. I plan on doing this someday ;)

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So if one diligently follows the instructions in the article to which you linked (congrats on discovering Google!) how will that do ANYTHING to enable the external keypad the OP is asking about?
I don't know, dude. I guess it can't be done. Probably gonna have to sell the Bronco.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Catmandu1999

Catmandu1999

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Triumph Spitfire
Your Bronco Model
Base
Okay, so maybe my servicing dealer isn't so bad after all.

I am having an issue with the modem where FordPass will not activate my Bronco, so they are working through TSB 232108 to try and fix it. Literally five seconds after I clicked "order" on Amazon for the VXDIAG tool to install the keypad myself, my service rep called and said they would do the programming for me, since the tech was already deep in the modules working on the modem.

But I do have to struggle with the adhesive myself, since I want it in the gas door.

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Okay, so maybe my servicing dealer isn't so bad after all.

I am having an issue with the modem where FordPass will not activate my Bronco, so they are working through TSB 232108 to try and fix it. Literally five seconds after I clicked "order" on Amazon for the VXDIAG tool to install the keypad myself, my service rep called and said they would do the programming for me, since the tech was already deep in the modules working on the modem.

But I do have to struggle with the adhesive myself, since I want it in the gas door.
Sounds like honesty folks trying to make a living. $24 is cheaper than they charge to install the aeroskin hood deflector, so that's definitely a loss for the dealer. Glad to hear they reached out so nicely though.

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma(no more) F-250, Hiker Trailer, Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn’t know that, because I don’t have (or need) one. But seriously? You need a dealer to program a simple keypad?

Hmmm...
https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...ess-entry-code-for-my-intelligent-access-key/
It is no different then most vehicles with key fobs you can make extra keys similarly this way too. As long as you have the two original keys you can program extras yourself and save $$$. Problem sometimes is that some key places refuse to cut a program fob unless you pay them to program. Ask around and you can find somebody.
Sponsored