Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Draft idea mockup
Ford Bronco Warthog tusks idea - limb riser, brush guard posts warthog-tusk-idea

Benefits:
- brush guard/impact protection for corners/headlights
- more compact/lighter than a full loop brush guard/steel bumper
- removable
- provides mounting point for limb risers, and far enough outboard to allow hood to open (anyone seen whether the advertised limb riser setup on the new Bronc has clearance for hood opening?)

Features:
- steel square tube and plate construction
- acid etch, Raptor epoxy primer, and Raptor liner epoxy coating
- cutouts for tie-downs, post/flag mounting, and no-metal-contact limb riser slot connection for bungees
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Draft idea mockup
Ford Bronco Warthog tusks idea - limb riser, brush guard posts warthog-tusk-idea

Benefits:
- removable
- provides mounting point for limb risers, and far enough outboard to allow hood to open (anyone seen whether the advertised limb riser setup on the new Bronc has clearance for hood opening?)

Features:
- cutouts for tie-downs, post/flag mounting, and no-metal-contact limb riser slot connection for bungees
Patent it now! LOL

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think it needs a thin crossbar that connects the two over headlights and just below or level with the bottom of the hood. But I like the idea. My favorite bumper I ever had had tusks. It was a Runck bumper I had on 2 different CJs. Its "tusks" were 1/4" thick tube. I would just throw a strap loop over them for all but the heaviest pull assists.
hCMvk8nEgfwHaE6?w=297&h=198&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1.jpg

QnVzif-aFqwHaE8?w=297&h=198&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1.jpg

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Tusks usually look badass, but in this case to be spread enough apart to clear the BRONCO on the grille and the kickass headlamps they will likely end up looking really odd.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

80s Broncos often had tusks on the bumpers. That doesn't quite match what you seem to be going for, but could be good inspiration.
Ford Bronco Warthog tusks idea - limb riser, brush guard posts 1616198002532
That 2 time paint is just fabulous. Maybe blue for me but fabulous nonetheless.

OP
OP
norwal42

norwal42

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
80s Broncos often had tusks on the bumpers. That doesn't quite match what you seem to be going for, but could be good inspiration.
Ford Bronco Warthog tusks idea - limb riser, brush guard posts 1616198002532
Oooh, yeah that's great. I'll see if I can translate some of that shape to the corner post idea.

Sponsored

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't hate it.
I'm not sold on the benefits though. Less effective than actual brush guard and the riser connection is redundant (though admittedly it could be superior).

Not sure anyone would look at that and think 'tusks' - which might not be bad, as something more blatant could get stupid in a hurry.

Think I'd be more interested in seeing this integrated into a true brush guard that protects everything (while still allowing the BRONCO to show through).

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Draft idea mockup
Ford Bronco Warthog tusks idea - limb riser, brush guard posts 1616687235934

Benefits:
- removable

Features:
There's already a place to put the limb risers.

OP
OP
norwal42

norwal42

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There's already a place to put the limb risers.
Yep, could be redundant, but I'm not sure yet if you can open the hood with a cable hooked up to the OEM points (from pics/vids I've seen so far, it looks like not likely, unless you had a roof rack/outboard top mounting point that runs parallel to the hood edge).

If I was adding these to my (potential future) Bronc, I'd be in it primarily for the corner protection pushing through a bit of light brush and branches - that's the biggest benefit and why I made my current setup for the trails I run (the 4Runner headlights are more exposed than the Bronc, though). Also I didn't like the weight or look of a full loop bar. If it also got me a limb riser mounting point that allows me to open the hood, bonus.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :)

OP
OP
norwal42

norwal42

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't hate it.
I'm not sold on the benefits though. Less effective than actual brush guard and the riser connection is redundant (though admittedly it could be superior).

Not sure anyone would look at that and think 'tusks' - which might not be bad, as something more blatant could get stupid in a hurry.

Think I'd be more interested in seeing this integrated into a true brush guard that protects everything (while still allowing the BRONCO to show through).
Hey Sean, I can totally see landing on the full brush guard side of things. I built these for my 4Runner in the first place because I didn't want/need the full loop guard, but liked the idea of having a little corner protection (especially for the 4Runner headlights being more exposed on the corners) and a mounting point for limb risers. Might be redundant mounting point for the Bronc, but still adds that corner protection for fender paint and makes the hand-off to route branches up the limb riser, and might be a functional upgrade for limb risers if it allows for hood opening (TBD on that, haven't seen anyone try opening a Bronc hood yet with Ford's limb risers on:).

Not concerned whether they look like tusks or not - actually prefer as minimalist as possible for the functional goals of the piece - it's just what came to mind for how my original ones turned out. :)

I'd prefer a more straight up shape to the first Bronc mockup I posted, but I was thinking a bit of forward rake is necessary to get out ahead of a the corner a bit. while still meeting the mounting points. Backing it up a bit also totally covers the marker light/turn signal there - would be nice to preserve a bit of that visibility for safety if possible.
Ford Bronco Warthog tusks idea - limb riser, brush guard posts 1616690435989

Thanks for your feedback!
Sponsored