Warthog vs Rubicon 392 ( Car and Driver)

Mattwings

Big Bend
First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I think the Warthog will be priced a bit more affordable, only because the raptor is already in that price range. I don't see why the bronco version would be pricier, unless theres something I'm missing.
Supply and Demand 😉

Advertisement

gentlemanbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Clubs

Supply and Demand 😉
Maybe if you mean in regards to ADM, but the Raptor still sells, isn't nearly as hard to find as they used to be, and maintains its price, so still not sure beyond initial release with ADM, what would make it pricier than a raptor?

Mattwings

Big Bend
First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Maybe if you mean in regards to ADM, but the Raptor still sells, isn't nearly as hard to find as they used to be, and maintains its price, so still not sure beyond initial release with ADM, what would make it pricier than a raptor?
If they have more demand, they will price it higher. Same thing every manufacturer does with every model. Even the engines, transmissions and packages carry different pricing and different content, based on competitive models and demand. A 2.7 costs less in an F150 than in the Bronco, lots of reasons, but the market is a big part of the equation. Raptor will be facing the TRX, they will have to up their game a bit and pricing will be a tad more competitive with an alternative in the market. TRX will be at a premium for the next 8 to 12 months, because no competitive product until the 22 Raptor debuts. Dodge will either adjust pricing or add content when the market changes.

Mustang_75_99

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Anyone who thinks performance and sound environmental practice are mutually exclusive needs to take a spin in my Tesla. I know it doesn’t make V8 noises, but Randy Pobst lapped one faster than a Ferrari 458 Italia at the Streets of Willow. Also, I actually really like the sound of the electric motors. It sounds like a freaking Tie Fighter from Star Wars when you stomp on it.

Edit: My point is that I have every confidence that the 3.5 eco boost (or even 3.0) will easily whip the 392 in performance and fuel economy.

Edit edit: But the 392 will sound cooler.
I haven’t ridden in a Tesla, but have an acquaintance who has one (not sure what model). According to him, he gets lots of requests to drive it, he says, “sure but I will drive it first to show you what it can do.” After the owner giving people a thrill ride, the passengers often chicken out from driving it...because they are scared of the power.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
I think you will all be surprised at the low price of the 392 Wrangler, in the Ram pickups the hemi upgrade from the V6 is only $1500. Not sure why people keep comparing it to the cost of a diesel.
That and the fact they are not scared to stuff a V-8 in almost anything.
Economies of scale will make it cheaper. Now that doesn't mean they won't up charge
it like crazy, especially in the beginning.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer
Clubs

nvabill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara, C-182 Skylane

Bronco4lyfe85

Badlands
First Name
William
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
I am a huge Jeep and Dodge fan mostly because they throw up a collective middle finger to fuel economy. Their answer is always throw a large displacement V8 with a lot of horsepower in an aging products to keep it fresh - see Charger and Challenger. That strategy may come back to bite them with electrification coming and if gas goes up again. Ford canceling all their cars for “SUVs” is another possible bad move. This Jeep 392 is special because we won’t see vehicles like this anymore soon. Also, save the manuals!
Yep lol. Told my wife I was getting into the 392 before the government takes them away. I’ll drive this motor till it dies and then I’m going to rebuild it into a 426 or a 454 and hit over 600hp NA.

BigLig

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
I’m squarely locked into this discussion with my wife...

Before the Bronco was announced, we had decided on a Rubicon. Now that the Bronco is .... pending... the decision was put on hold until we can see and drive one.

Then came the talk of the Warthog.... and the questions about it. Engine, suspension, price, etc.

Now the 392 Rubicon...

Here's where I sit... I don’t want the Badlands because I don’t intend to rock crawl. I want the Wildtrak because I prefer Baja style off-roading.

Yes the Rubicon is a rock crawler...but it is the only one that offered 4.11 gears and the other features we want. The 392 has 3.73s, which is what I have in my F150, so I’m good with those. It has the V8 sound we both love...but are ok without if needed. I am less thrilled about the straight axle, and “loose” steering the Jeep has.

If the Warthog is more Raptor off-road style, go fast over bumps “comfortably”, then that is the direction I want to go. With, or without a V8 (grudgingly).

If price prohibits, then I will eventually turn to aftermarket for a long travel suspension on a Wildtrak.

Space Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 1st Edition, etc...
I'm laughing reading the comment section on the article..."Screw the environment! Me! Me! Me!"
It is not about screwing the environment. All the Jeepers that I know,...or care to know, don't leave their trash behind, they stick to approved roads and trails, and live by the axiom, "Pack in. Pack out." Don't leave any trace of human pollution.

Hoofnmouth

Base
First Name
mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Clubs

I love this planet it happens to be the only one i have expirence with,but that v8 392 would be awesome 👍

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

First Edition
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Seirra, F150, Jeep Wrangler 4-Door
Clubs

It is not about screwing the environment. All the Jeepers that I know,...or care to know, don't leave their trash behind, they stick to approved roads and trails, and live by the axiom, "Pack in. Pack out." Don't leave any trace of human pollution.
I usually don't bother with this but since you quoted me, here is the article this thread is about and the comment I referenced below for context:
Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 9.39.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 9.38.41 AM.png

The article was about the new 6.4 liter engine and clearly a snarky (unreasonable) emissions comment. My post was simply that I laughed reading the "comment section of the article...screw the environment! Me! Me! Me!" Nothing to do with trash, trails, axioms. We all leave behind pollution if we drive. I understand the heart of what you meant.

Dmk08

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Clubs

Advertisement

Advertisement