Sponsored

Warthog vs Rubicon 392 ( Car and Driver)

Mustang_75_99

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone who thinks performance and sound environmental practice are mutually exclusive needs to take a spin in my Tesla. I know it doesn’t make V8 noises, but Randy Pobst lapped one faster than a Ferrari 458 Italia at the Streets of Willow. Also, I actually really like the sound of the electric motors. It sounds like a freaking Tie Fighter from Star Wars when you stomp on it.

Edit: My point is that I have every confidence that the 3.5 eco boost (or even 3.0) will easily whip the 392 in performance and fuel economy.

Edit edit: But the 392 will sound cooler.
I haven’t ridden in a Tesla, but have an acquaintance who has one (not sure what model). According to him, he gets lots of requests to drive it, he says, “sure but I will drive it first to show you what it can do.” After the owner giving people a thrill ride, the passengers often chicken out from driving it...because they are scared of the power.
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think you will all be surprised at the low price of the 392 Wrangler, in the Ram pickups the hemi upgrade from the V6 is only $1500. Not sure why people keep comparing it to the cost of a diesel.
That and the fact they are not scared to stuff a V-8 in almost anything.
Economies of scale will make it cheaper. Now that doesn't mean they won't up charge
it like crazy, especially in the beginning.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am a huge Jeep and Dodge fan mostly because they throw up a collective middle finger to fuel economy. Their answer is always throw a large displacement V8 with a lot of horsepower in an aging products to keep it fresh - see Charger and Challenger. That strategy may come back to bite them with electrification coming and if gas goes up again. Ford canceling all their cars for “SUVs” is another possible bad move. This Jeep 392 is special because we won’t see vehicles like this anymore soon. Also, save the manuals!
Yep lol. Told my wife I was getting into the 392 before the government takes them away. I’ll drive this motor till it dies and then I’m going to rebuild it into a 426 or a 454 and hit over 600hp NA.

BigLig

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m squarely locked into this discussion with my wife...

Before the Bronco was announced, we had decided on a Rubicon. Now that the Bronco is .... pending... the decision was put on hold until we can see and drive one.

Then came the talk of the Warthog.... and the questions about it. Engine, suspension, price, etc.

Now the 392 Rubicon...

Here's where I sit... I don’t want the Badlands because I don’t intend to rock crawl. I want the Wildtrak because I prefer Baja style off-roading.

Yes the Rubicon is a rock crawler...but it is the only one that offered 4.11 gears and the other features we want. The 392 has 3.73s, which is what I have in my F150, so I’m good with those. It has the V8 sound we both love...but are ok without if needed. I am less thrilled about the straight axle, and “loose” steering the Jeep has.

If the Warthog is more Raptor off-road style, go fast over bumps “comfortably”, then that is the direction I want to go. With, or without a V8 (grudgingly).

If price prohibits, then I will eventually turn to aftermarket for a long travel suspension on a Wildtrak.

Sponsored

Space Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 1st Edition, etc...
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm laughing reading the comment section on the article..."Screw the environment! Me! Me! Me!"
It is not about screwing the environment. All the Jeepers that I know,...or care to know, don't leave their trash behind, they stick to approved roads and trails, and live by the axiom, "Pack in. Pack out." Don't leave any trace of human pollution.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I love this planet it happens to be the only one i have expirence with,but that v8 392 would be awesome ?

Deleted member 13817

It is not about screwing the environment. All the Jeepers that I know,...or care to know, don't leave their trash behind, they stick to approved roads and trails, and live by the axiom, "Pack in. Pack out." Don't leave any trace of human pollution.
I usually don't bother with this but since you quoted me, here is the article this thread is about and the comment I referenced below for context:
Ford Bronco Warthog vs Rubicon 392 ( Car and Driver) Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 9.39.23 AM
Ford Bronco Warthog vs Rubicon 392 ( Car and Driver) Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 9.38.41 AM

The article was about the new 6.4 liter engine and clearly a snarky (unreasonable) emissions comment. My post was simply that I laughed reading the "comment section of the article...screw the environment! Me! Me! Me!" Nothing to do with trash, trails, axioms. We all leave behind pollution if we drive. I understand the heart of what you meant.

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bronconheimer

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500 HD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t get to excited about all this HP. With a new regime coming, and the “green new deal” auto manufacturers will be one of the first to be targeted.
They are out for radical change.
Don't believe the hype. The stock market is the best barometer of future business conditions and the market is loving the new regime. NASDAQ is up 20% since the election was called, and as an active investor, I couldn't be happier.

Sponsored

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah the stock market is an indicator of the economy, until it isn't. The stock market increases under Trump and what may be increases under Biden are mostly due to debt increases, both federal and corporate, due to interest rates being kept artificially low by the Fed, which they desperately have to do to try to keep the musical chairs running. Actual productivity hasn't increased nearly enough to account for the stock market rise, it's mostly more quantitative easing/ fake money printing/ (digitally) by the Fed/ corporate stock buy backs financed by the artificially low interest rates. Keep riding it, and hopefully get off before enough people realize it's an everything bubble, and it inevitably crashes. Only the next crash even the Fed nor the IMF will be able to prop up the shell game.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yeah the stock market is an indicator of the economy, until it isn't. The stock market increases under Trump and what may be increases under Biden are mostly due to debt increases, both federal and corporate, due to interest rates being kept artificially low by the Fed, which they desperately have to do to try to keep the musical chairs running. Actual productivity hasn't increased nearly enough to account for the stock market rise, it's mostly more quantitative easing/ fake money printing/ (digitally) by the Fed/ corporate stock buy backs financed by the artificially low interest rates. Keep riding it, and hopefully get off before enough people realize it's an everything bubble, and it inevitably crashes. Only the next crash even the Fed nor the IMF will be able to prop up the shell game.
Agree. The stock market is lagging, Biden is asking for a $1.9 TRILLION COVID relief package, someone will have to pay for that, they are already talking about rolling back all the 2017 tax breaks, plus adding additional capital gains taxes. Couple that with a big hit on the energy sector (oil & coal) and you will see drastic market adjustments. Hopefully it doesn’t crash the retirement portfolios.

JPNC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I excitedly opened this thread thinking someone had something to say about the Warthog. Unfortunately it was a tax discussion.