Sponsored

Washington State: What dealer are you using?

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
you're still screwed on your license and registration though that's based on where you live, but sales tax is based on where you purchased. that's why a lot of people go down to Oregon purchase their vehicle cuz there's no sales tax but you still got to pay vehicle license and registration fees in Wa St
If you purchase out of state, you pay your address sales tax- if you purchase in state, you pay the tax rate of the dealer address. That is why there are lots of car dealers just north of the Skagit/Snohomish county line.

Some areas have special tax rates for vehicles. Snohomish (where Bickford is) has varying rates for general items vs vehicles.

Heck- I manage 25 different facilities and have to keep track of the 25 different sales tax rates even though we have a centralized office/accounts payable
Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm always learning! Thanks people!

Found this Chevy dealer advertising their lower sales tax rate: https://www.northwestchevrolet.com/lowest-sales-tax

If that Morton dealer is part of the Bronco sales, I'll probably switch over. Or use it to see if my Bellevue dealer might cut me some slack. :D

Bronco Finder

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150 , Broncos 76, 75, 72, 72, 68, 67, 66
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This has been discussed many times in this forum and is easy to look up. You pay based on your address. So in his case, taxman will be knockin.
You can't escape sales tax on a big purchase item like that. They just call it "use tax" and hit you with the same costs when you go to register in Washington. Only way to escape it is to never register in Washington, but that's another can of worms.
Well you might be correct on that I just remember you still need to pay tax and license on your registration,but I am correct about purchasing a vehicle in another County and paying that sales tax I just did it 7 days ago And they know I live in Bellevue. And they calculated my license fees to be around 7 to $900 for King County

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep. I could be headed to Morton! (y)

Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well you might be correct on that I just remember you still need to pay tax and license on your registration,but I am correct about purchasing a vehicle in another County and paying that sales tax I just did it 7 days ago And they know I live in Bellevue. And they calculated my license fees to be around 7 to $900 for King County
Correct they are calculating the RTA taxes for the ST3 light rail...

At least we don't have an income tax :(

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is that the way it really works? I always thought Washington state makes you pay based on your home residence, not where your dealer resides. If you are right, that's a damn good tip. Thanks!
The way I understand it, we pay sales tax on the location of the dealership, but licensing is by residence, unless you're buying from out of state, then the state sales tax would be based on your residence.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SMRPILOT? Curious about the meaning.
Well it's kinda just left over from an old email I had when I was getting my pilot's license back in college.

Fordfan

Badlands
First Name
KnD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger Tremor XLT, '22 Roush Bronco "R" Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You guys purchase where you want, I'd rather continue building my relationship with my local dealership. If there is an issues with the vehicle it will make more since to them to take care of me then someone that had not spent a nickel with them. Loyalty does make a difference, I bought my last new Ford from this dealer in 2009 and they still treat me like it was just yesterday. Just remember if you live in my area, mine will be in the service bay if necessary while your vehicle sits in the lot waiting to get in. lol

Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You guys purchase where you want, I'd rather continue building my relationship with my local dealership. If there is an issues with the vehicle it will make more since to them to take care of me then someone that had not spent a nickel with them. Loyalty does make a difference, I bought my last new Ford from this dealer in 2009 and they still treat me like it was just yesterday. Just remember if you live in my area, mine will be in the service bay if necessary while your vehicle sits in the lot waiting to get in. lol
Well let's see what happens when I slip the service manager a $100 every time I go in. I could do that a dozen times and still be ahead.

But I do have to ask, why is your Ford in the service bay in the first place? Maybe we should all be buying Toyotas. All they ever need is an oil change.

:D

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In all seriousness though, I bought my Dodge Challenger in Idaho and the local dealer seems to have zero problem that I didn't buy from them.

Unless you're looking to trade in cars on a regular basis with same dealer, I don't see a reason to curate a relationship. I'm always on to another brand of car anyway.

Having said that, I wouldn't stiff a local dealer over a few bucks, but $1400 is real money.

Last edited:

Fordfan

Badlands
First Name
KnD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger Tremor XLT, '22 Roush Bronco "R" Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well let's see what happens when I slip the service manager a $100 every time I go in. I could do that a dozen times and still be ahead.

But I do have to ask, why is your Ford in the service bay in the first place? Maybe we should all be buying Toyotas. All they ever need is an oil change.

:D
" if necessary " for recall like air bags or such.
I perform my own maintenance so won't be there for that, owned a Toyota once, great vehicle for others but not in our bucket of fun list :)

Bronco Finder

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150 , Broncos 76, 75, 72, 72, 68, 67, 66
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well my wife said that I shouldn't be telling all you guys about our little secret in Morton, now all you guys with earlier reservations the me will get your broncos before me now. Lol

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've got one more thing to say about this. :D

It's not even like this is my true "local dealer". It is across town and I have never stepped foot in the place. It was simply assigned to me by Ford when I placed a reservation. I received one automated email from the salesman and he answered one email question from me. That's it. Not heard anything since. Now, it might turn out that he's a super nice guy and the dealership is great too, and I might decide to stay with them, but right now neither of us has anything at all invested in this "relationship".
Sponsored