Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Honestly, I assumed I’d have another job pretty soon and wouldn’t need it, so I didn’t even try. Now, it’s all “preexisting” stuff and Cobra wouldn’t cover it.
there is no such thing as a pre-existing condition anymore in the insurance world. One of the few positives from the ACA
Sponsored

OP
OP
njAK84

njAK84

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Seconding USAA, even if only one of your parents served or were a member of USAA you can start an account there. I got a 1.89% through them.
My father-in-law is a 30 year AF veteran, and we have USAA for insurance. I could give this a shot, but I feel like that’s taking advantage of a military benefit a little, isn’t it?

OP
OP
njAK84

njAK84

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
there is no such thing as a pre-existing condition anymore in the insurance world. One of the few positives from the ACA
Good info, I didn’t know that.

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about this. I think you would be better off paying for the Bronco if you have it, because I don't think you will get a loan without a job.

You could see if your insurance from your last job carries over for a while after being laid off.

You may qualify for medicaid, but not if you have a lot of money in the bank because I think they check that. So if you buy the Bronco, and then apply for medicaid, you may qualify, but I'm not positive. Maybe look on the medicaid site and see.

Another option would be to let this one go, and then re-order and make it a 99, if that is possible. I'm sorry I wasn't more help. I hope everything works out for you.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly, I assumed I’d have another job pretty soon and wouldn’t need it, so I didn’t even try. Now, it’s all “preexisting” stuff and Cobra wouldn’t cover it.
The Affordable Care Act did away with pre-existing condition exclusions. Also, as @Rahkmalla mentioned, if your employer had more than 20 employees you should have been offered COBRA and then despite the fact that you would have been paying 100% of the premium it would still be a fraction of the cost it would be to pay for a surgery regardless of how shitty the plan offering might be. If to much time has passed and you missed your election window then that is a horse of a different color. I concur with @gentlemanbronco skip the vehicle otherwise. I play an insurance salesman on TV.

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

COBRA. Normally, you have to pay for it from the day your employment was terminated anyways, so no matter what you should be covered.

Be warned, it's pretty expensive. However, just having insurance of any kind will automatically cut hospital bills dramatically. Always keep health insurance, even crappy insurance, just for the discounts alone. Plus, COBRA will still be cheaper than surgeries.

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
limp over and get your bronco with Your money. and as suggested, apply for medicare. wouldn't most procedures take payments and interest free. i honestly don't know what I'd do in your situation. i'm getting to the point that my health is worth more then a bronco. you sound young (gym soccer) buy your bronco, heal up and get a job to make any payments not covered by our tax dollars. (yours and mine) good luck and enjoy your bronco.

ausherpharmd

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

why is cobra not an option for you? did too much time pass since separation from your job to allow you to get coverage?
That's what I thought. Or ACA coverage.

ATXGuy

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSQ8
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Get some sort of insurance - that surgery will be the cost of a Bronco

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cobra would cover it, you have 60 days to sign up and pay the retroactive premiums. Do it now to get those surgeries covered.

Sponsored

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Look up "Charity Care Policy" for the medical facilities that helped you. These can vary a bit, but many people do not know that if you make 3x the poverty line income and have limited assets, you can get medical debt handled that way, and some are more lenient on assets you have so you don't have to sell off everything first, too (my uncle lost his job last year, had a hernia split, and he got it fixed & paid nothing since his AGI was like $10K for the year). You can also hire a negotiator to negotiate it down then set up a structured payment plan to pay it off.

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sooo…. here’s my last 30 days.

I’ve been saving money for a few years, waiting for the Bronco. (Started the moment I saw The Rock driving that prototype in “Rampage”). Anyway, I’d saved enough to pay cash for this bad boy (which will be here sometime in the next 10-14 days), and then this last month happened.

1) Got laid off (“COVID reasons” 🤦🏼‍♂️🙄).
2) Tore a ligament in my elbow at the gym.
3) In a freak coincidence, a week later I completely ruptured my ACL playing soccer with some friends. (Surgery is next Wednesday).

So, now uninsured, I am forced to pay for two surgeries. I can probably hold off on the elbow one since I can still function, albeit painfully, with the jacked up elbow, but the ACL is a must repair ASAP. As such, I’m unable to look for new work until I can walk again, which is at least a few weeks to a month+ out, and I’m having to use up a big chunk of my saved Bronco money to cover the surgery/rehab costs.

Sob story, I know. Boohoo, poor boy wants his $60k Bronco and life happens. I wouldn’t feel bad for me either. Nevertheless, I’m hoping for some suggested financing options for a guy in my situation? Probably none, I know, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.
You can take COBRA from you employer to cover your medical...

Bjj101

Outer Banks
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX, 2020 Lexus RX450
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP, I'm not sure if you can still get financed but as far as your benefits go, when you are laid off or leave the company, most employers have a policy that extends your benefits thru the end of the month or some will say for 30 days. I would check for this provision and try and schedule the surgeries within the given timeframe so that your insurance will pay. Otherwise the cost will be crazy.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm real sorry to hear this. For those recommending COBRA, I've found it to be terribly expensive. Not as much as paying cash for surgery, for sure. But still a tough pill to swallow.

Bjj101

Outer Banks
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX, 2020 Lexus RX450
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If your pain tolerance is high, you can use the money to get the Bronco, then schedule the surgeries after you find employment and have insurance.
Sponsored