Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I resemble that remark. I mean, if YouBoob and TwitchTok had been around in th' day (early/mid 90's) It'da been a damn shame the videos that'd be out there of me and pretty much all my friends doin' goofy stuff and gettin' caught out.

Thank you Lord, for that grace. 😅 :whistle:
Yep, we had to wonder what would happen if I did such & such . Well wonder no more, as there is already a video on Youtube whose busted his butt doing it.
Sponsored

G-Waggin

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac SRX
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, this seems to be a great example of why a tail gate reinforcement is needed for larger tires. Thoughts? It looked like the tailgate buckled pretty quick - but yes he did send it quite forcefully.
Yeah, I always thought those tailgate reinforcers were a gimmick... turns out they have a purpose. Not sure they would have helped here though, since it looks like he bottomed-out onto his spare, so it was the weight of the whole back of the Bronco on it.

Lolife

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Too much skinny peddle....

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, I always thought those tailgate reinforcers were a gimmick... turns out they have a purpose. Not sure they would have helped here though, since it looks like he bottomed-out onto his spare, so it was the weight of the whole back of the Bronco on it.
There place is more for vibration and shock from being jolted as well as opening and closing the tailgate. Without them over time the door will bend from use. Not going to help in this case.

wizardoforange

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I guess that poor guy feels like a right nitwit. Live and learn, sometimes the hard way.

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Question for you guys. Would putting the spare tire on a roof rack be another option? I know it may throw off the center of gravity, but is it a common/fair option while off-roading?
It's not unusual to see rigs running around with a roof mounted spare. It was more popular before overlanding became a big thing and everyone decided to add a roof tent. You didn't have to buy a tire carrier and a roof rack, just a roof rack. It's common in Australia to have two, a spare on the back and an extra on the roof, simply because there's not many places for it. Still a PITA to get the roof mounted spare regardless of why it's there. A dedicated crawler that needs all the departure angle and the lowest center of gravity possible will often carry a spare inside/mounted to the cage.

For what most anyone would be using a 6G Bronco for offroad, short of entering KOH in the 4600 class, I'd go with a solid tire carrier and a skid or stinger for the hitch, skip the tailgate reinforcements and roof mounts. Far less damage and resistance sliding over rocks with steel or UHMW overlaid skid than a rubber tire, and if your tire does catch it'll damage the carrier rather than the tailgate or frame. If you bend the frame because you hit a hitch mounted skid, you were being a complete tool and going way too damn fast. Skid plates, sliders, and bumpers are meant to be used for sliding across dirt and rock with the goal of minimal impact, they're not there for the kind of impact protection this guy was putting it through. That's reserved for tube chassis rigs.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Question for you guys. Would putting the spare tire on a roof rack be another option? I know it may throw off the center of gravity, but is it a common/fair option while off-roading?
I can barely lift the tire into the back above the bumper as it is.... I'm not about to pretend I can get 150lbs above my head anymore. I'm more into curling 12oz's at a time these days.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lots of BS in the beginning so just go to the 9:30 mark and see the damage

If that ass hat is on the forum, so there's no misinterpretation of my intent, that was stupid. See guys like that all the time, they always blame the vehicle after the fact, but trust that a lot of trail damage is just some guy trying to HP through everything like he has "seen" in motorsport, which is a totally different animal.

Well, whatever. Hope everyone reading learns something from this guy's behavior.

Loren

Base
First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Base Sasquatch 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, this seems to be a great example of why a tail gate reinforcement is needed for larger tires. Thoughts? It looked like the tailgate buckled pretty quick - but yes he did send it quite forcefully.
Yes, I have been considering an inexpensive tailgate reinforcement for my SAS stock 35s and I’m kind of on the fence, but honestly I’m not too sure if an extra plate would’ve prevented the window from shattering and other damage in this case.

Sponsored

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If that ass hat is on the forum, so there's no misinterpretation of my intent, that was stupid. See guys like that all the time, they always blame the vehicle after the fact, but trust that a lot of trail damage is just some guy trying to HP through everything like he has "seen" in motorsport, which is a totally different animal.

Well, whatever. Hope everyone reading learns something from this guy's behavior.
Seems more like a newbie who is just replicating what he sees on tiktok or the YouTube. Unfortunately he learned the hard way to listen to his spotter, hopefully others learn from him as well.

I do have to say, big fan of their recovery truck. 80 series is best series.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can’t believe nobody mentioned the weird pants he was wearing…
I was way more distracted by how badly these guys want to be Matt's Off Road Recovery to notice what kind of pants he was wearing. I couldn't take them seriously knowing they were in the recovery business using OPEN DIFFS on their rig. Nice choice of vehicle to start with though.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Besides the ass-hattery of "My gas pedal goes to 11" - please, people, when you have to pull off the road, especially when you have a 4wd, and a recovery vehicle, PULL OFF THE ROAD.

Ford Bronco Watch this Bronco recovery and the damage the owner did to his Bronco 1678315524947
Ford Bronco Watch this Bronco recovery and the damage the owner did to his Bronco 1678315646795

I Like Soup

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram PowerWagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, I have been considering an inexpensive tailgate reinforcement for my SAS stock 35s and I’m kind of on the fence, but honestly I’m not too sure if an extra plate would’ve prevented the window from shattering and other damage in this case.
Agree! After I watched the smash part again I saw how severe the impact was. Then I watched it over and over like it was the Zapruder film. That was pretty serious carnage. I am still going to reinforce my rear gate hinges and carrier as the 37s go on in 2 weeks :D

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

If this guy screws like he wheels…his wife was already pissed.
You mean coming in to fast? Or slapping his spare tire on the backside?
Sponsored