Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What are folks with black or dark paint doing to prevent or deal with water spots? I have a drying aid coming in the mail that is supposed to help speed drying and prevent water spots. Any recommendations?

I bought a black vehicle...the second one I've owned. I knew washing more frequently was going to be part of the deal so I'm trying to get myself set up for easy and quick washes so I can do it more frequently. I must admit that my tan FJCruiser was way easier. Two baths a year and it looked fine most of the time. Paint was good even after 7 years of my neglect.
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Culligan water softener system. It is municipal hard water you may be dealing with. There are gadgets, however, that will soften your robse water at the nozzle.

Old school we used to rinse with kerosene water rinse and finish spraying pressure horizontal to flood it off. Then immediately chamois it

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What are folks with black or dark paint doing to prevent or deal with water spots? I have a drying aid coming in the mail that is supposed to help speed drying and prevent water spots. Any recommendations?

I bought a black vehicle...the second one I've owned. I knew washing more frequently was going to be part of the deal so I'm trying to get myself set up for easy and quick washes so I can do it more frequently. I must admit that my tan FJCruiser was way easier. Two baths a year and it looked fine most of the time. Paint was good even after 7 years of my neglect.
Ceramic Coating is a must

CjDuncan

Badlands
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You don't have to go full on ceramic. Have a good protectant to reduce spotting, like a ceramic or graphene infused spray protectant/sealant (Griots, TW Hybrid Solutions, Maquires, Adams). After washing, use a drying aid from any of those same companies and a good mircofiber drying towel (I like the gauntlet from Rag Company). That should improve your situation.
Turtle wax actually has a Hybrid Solutions product line for black cars, might be worth checking out. Lots of youtube videos on car care products. One guy in Canada name "Pan the Organizer" is a favorite.
There are also small systems that you can run your hose through to treat the water, but I am not sure about their effectiveness or cost.

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Detail it really good and then use the Turtle Wax ceramic that comes in the spray bottles. Takes 15 minutes. Apply two coats. Do that twice a year. It’s hydroponic so more water will roll off, and the spots will come off better after regular washing and drying in between details and reapplications.

Also, black/dark cars look awesome but only if you’re dedicated enough to constantly clean them. Sounds like you know that. I wanted AMB so bad but know myself too well.

OP
OP
NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good suggestions all. I'm digging into a couple. Knowing me, I need to get a solid but easy routine down and I'll keep it clean. It has just been so long since I had to really worry about keeping the paint looking clean. It has been 1995 since I had a black vehicle so it is a whole learning curve for me.

Jawbox

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
All I know is that nothing has ever kept my black Fiat clean for more than a week. It gets dirty parked in the garage.