First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know there are products that say they can waterproof leather... anyone have any experience with any of them? May be a factor if they only have the dark vinyl
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bee's wax or the marketed brand Sno Seal

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bee's wax or the marketed brand Sno Seal
Don't put these things on upholstery. Boots, yes, upholstery, no. They have a sticky "hand" that will catch lint and grime and will also allow the leather to stretch and get softer - if they penetrate the finish at all.

Car leather is all fully finished (with the exception of something like those rugged brown King Ranch leather seats you see on F series trucks) and will have some type of waterproof treatment already applied, often vinyl or urethane based. So when you sit on leather seats in a modern car? You're actually sitting on vinyl anyway.

Regardless of what you do, vinyl will outlast your leather interior. I had to fully strip and refinish the leather interior on my BMW after 17 years and many parts were completely worn through / suncracked from previous owners parking outdoors with no window tint or car cover. A reasonably thick and well-made vinyl such as I suspect the Bronco will get should hopefully last 25 years or more. I've often seen 40+ year old Benzes with original MB-tex "fake leather" still intact and looking new, provided the foam underneath hasn't dried out and collapsed.

OP
OP
coolrain

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't put these things on upholstery. Boots, yes, upholstery, no. They have a sticky "hand" that will catch lint and grime and will also allow the leather to stretch and get softer - if they penetrate the finish at all.

Car leather is all fully finished (with the exception of something like those rugged brown King Ranch leather seats you see on F series trucks) and will have some type of waterproof treatment already applied, often vinyl or urethane based. So when you sit on leather seats in a modern car? You're actually sitting on vinyl anyway.

Regardless of what you do, vinyl will outlast your leather interior. I had to fully strip and refinish the leather interior on my BMW after 17 years and many parts were completely worn through / suncracked from previous owners parking outdoors with no window tint or car cover. A reasonably thick and well-made vinyl such as I suspect the Bronco will get should hopefully last 25 years or more. I've often seen 40+ year old Benzes with original MB-tex "fake leather" still intact and looking new, provided the foam underneath hasn't dried out and collapsed.
I just hope they have light colors

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just hope they have light colors
A beige or dove gray or off-white vinyl would be amazing. I'm not a fan of dark interiors (they get too hot), especially for vehicles that will spend a lot of time in the sun. But if that's the only way to get the wash-out interior, I'd probably live with it.
Sponsored