First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 16 JKU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Breakdowns almost always make great stories and great friends.
Glad ya'll were prepared for the cold weather, it would have been scary to leave the Bronco on the trail overnight.
I had to leave my Jeep once over night but felt pretty confident that nobody could get to it.
What an adventure.
Sponsored

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good on you guys for getting the rig out. No joke leaving a vehicle behind this time of year up there.
100% it dumped snow again 10 hours after we got out. Rain too.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I want to know what kind of gear you have to be camping out in those temps.
I want ideas too haha. My Mr. Buddy heater stopped working but I had two layers of thermal base layers and a 30 degree sleeping bag with a down blanket stuffed inside it as well. Kept me warm overnight. During the day I wore like 6 layers. My boots soaked through and I went through 3 pairs of socksā€¦ I definitely need to rethink my winter wardrobe.

M Redwood

Big Bend
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
just bought a mabett skid amzn...139$ tanks for thread

Sponsored

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm an OBX and just added the RCI units after discovering the OEM plates I bought 2md hand didn't cover the pan and just looked like it was asking for a bruising. Really happy with it and their roof rack. A little more than Chinese stuff with the Holiday sale.

20230107_175301.jpg

20230107_174922.jpg

20230107_174900.jpg

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm an OBX and just added the RCI units after discovering the OEM plates I bought 2md hand didn't cover the pan and just looked like it was asking for a bruising. Really happy with it and their roof rack. A little more than Chinese stuff with the Holiday sale.

Ford Bronco We broke a Bronco on the trail! Transmission pan fix 20230107_174900

Ford Bronco We broke a Bronco on the trail! Transmission pan fix 20230107_174900

Dang that looks beefy! In a perfect world I want something that covers my pan, replaces my transfer case skid and my FDU skid as the ford one has a cut out for the unit which exposes it to rocksā€¦ my RC hidden winch mount makes it difficult though. I might design something with my friends at a fab shop soon

805BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Chevy Bolt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do the Sasquatch skid plates cover this?

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do the Sasquatch skid plates cover this?
Negative, the skids actually don't come standard on Sasquatch... It depends on the trim level. I have a Big Bend Sasquatch and didn't come with skids... I had to order them from Ford and install them myself... totally pissed at myself for not catching that when I ordered... But no, they don't cover the transmission pan at all :( You do get some protection from the FDU skid that sits just before the transmission but I think any Bronco without a lift would have hit the same rock with or without factory skids in that same position.

805BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Chevy Bolt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Negative, the skids actually don't come standard on Sasquatch... It depends on the trim level. I have a Big Bend Sasquatch and didn't come with skids... I had to order them from Ford and install them myself... totally pissed at myself for not catching that when I ordered... But no, they don't cover the transmission pan at all :( You do get some protection from the FDU skid that sits just before the transmission but I think any Bronco without a lift would have hit the same rock with or without factory skids in that same position.
Good info! I guess I have the front skid plates due to the modular bumper. (4dr Base Sas). More skid plates are my next add on, thanks to this thread!

camojeeper

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Even though I don't have a pan to puncture, I'm going to go out and hug my trans skid now.
My w/t Sas with full skids does not have the transmission protected the ford engineere should be punched

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Dad was an MD, but he was an Oldsmobile guy; never let an MD fool around with mechanical stuff.
We usedta go hunting in the East Texas piney woods in a (I shit you not) 1970 4 door 455 CID Rocket V8 Olds Ninety Eight.
One day there was a log in the red dirt logging road and my dad, being an Oldsmobile guy, ran over it, denting the TH400 tranny pan on the rim, and leaking all the fluid out.
He and his buddies spent most of a day making a patch for the dented rim out of surgical gauze and thread, which he had in his doctor's bag.
They sent a buddy into town for about six quart jugs of tranny fluid.
We made it home.
I always gave my dad feces about not getting a truck or some kind of 4WD, since we were always out in the woods, but to no avail.
Ya'll's mileage will vary...
You gave your dad ā€˜fecesā€™?? Is this a typo?? Is this some East Texas colloquial custom I donā€™t know about??? Can we get some clarification on this?

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm not going to say an aluminum pan would of held up, but it would of dented before splitting, especially in freezing temps.
C'mon Ford!
Not likely. The aluminum pans are cast and very brittle. You won't get any flex from them. They might take more impact than the plastic pans and that is a big might, but they will not flex/dent.
Sponsored