Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well a first happened! Gold Country Bronco’s went out like we usually do to explore some local trails and enjoy some fresh snow after the weeks winter storm!

Started well plowing fresh powder down the trail toward some local hot springs and 7 Broncos were making good progress.

At a certain point the trail dropped down into a rocky gorge that had a snow melt creek running down. The tough part was only about 100 yards long and had small boulders, off-camber sections, and 2 feet of fresh powder.

Unfortunately about 50 feet from the end of the gorge a Outer Banks Bronco without skid plates came down hard on a pointy rock that went straight into the transmission pan which punched a hole and leaked out 8 qts of fluid in about 10 minutes. Thankfully it was seen immediately and the Bronco was turned off and towed down out of the gorge to a flat spot.

We now faced a dilemma… attempt a trail repair or source a new pan? Either way we needed lots of transmission fluid. I climbed up a hill to get service as we were in a small valley at the bottom of the rocky gorge in deep snow. We already knew there was no pulling a dead Bronco up the gorge and a trail fix was the only way and before the next storm comes through scheduled for the evening the following day. At the hill I had 1 bar of service and was able to call a local dealer who had the part! The awesome parts guy saved it for me and set aside the service manual and extra fluid and a pump for the fluid. They were the only dealer in the area with one and had one in stock! We were quoted 3 days everywhere else.

4 of our party left back up the gorge to grab the part the following morning and 3 of us stayed the night with the stranded Bronco. Thankfully we travel prepared and had all the tools and supplies to camp in what was to be a night of 15 degrees and wind. There was a full moon and it was beautiful!

In the morning we took the two working Broncos and drove out to the trailhead where someone was waiting with the part. We then drove back down the gorge (this gorge is part of a marked trail and we were never off trail) and at this point the weather was warming up and snow was melting and the gorge was turning into a creek. The pan was $116 dollars and was held in place with 18 bolts using 8mm and 13mm bolts. It’s a tight fit and slow going with the exhaust in the way but we were able to remove the old pan with simple tools. The new pan went right into place.

On the driver side of the transmission is a full plug that has a dip stick. The manual called for 5 quarts of fluid which shows between 3 and 4 on the dip stick. After that you drive the Bronco till it reached 205-216 degrees on the transmission shown in gauges We didn’t have room to drive around and didn’t want to have issues driving up the gorge so we checked the level at 100 degrees instead as that’s as high as we could get it.

After checking levels we added another 3 quarts of fluid and everything was checking out. At first there was a low whirring noise from the transmission which was just the system purging out the air and went away after 5 minutes of driving. Everything was shifting smooth. We drove out slow taking time on the gorge as it had become fairly gnarly even for Sasquatch Broncos. Everyone made it it safely though and the transmission stayed at the proper level and remained in the operating temp with proper shifting the entire time!

So what could have been a really bad day turned into a cool, eventful snow camping trip! It turns out the pan replacement is not difficult on the trail. I would also guess that if we had a drill bit and 2 part epoxy we could have repaired the pan enough to drive it out but we also needed lots of fluid anyway and the pan was in stock so we went that route.

That being said, get skid plates y’all. Gonna try and make a YouTube vid as I took a ton of video but we will see.

Ford Bronco We broke a Bronco on the trail! Transmission pan fix C9690044-3562-48CA-9D78-1A861A2C08D7

Ford Bronco We broke a Bronco on the trail! Transmission pan fix F89725D1-BA5E-475B-AFF2-612AE4FAD434

Ford Bronco We broke a Bronco on the trail! Transmission pan fix 171BB59B-E109-41F0-99BB-EA385B2AE79C

Ford Bronco We broke a Bronco on the trail! Transmission pan fix FCA9D5A8-670D-48EF-996E-D47D3E09E908

Ford Bronco We broke a Bronco on the trail! Transmission pan fix 769F4E1C-BDCC-43FA-AEBC-7C38D241976D

Ford Bronco We broke a Bronco on the trail! Transmission pan fix 72793CA4-DCB6-4C58-B032-50838DA1FB46
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great story. I know a metal Pan can be torn too.

Whaddya think? Would that have happened here?

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd bet a metal pan would of just bent in this case. Very lucky how well things worked out.

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up. Glad to see you got her fixed. So good to have great friends to help get you out of these kinda jams. I had a moment of stupidity in Colorado Wheeling with only one rig. Rolled two tires off the rims 40 miles from town. But my boys calmed my nerves and made short work of it. Back up and running in an hour!
Ford Bronco We broke a Bronco on the trail! Transmission pan fix D5CBD1FE-18D4-4648-A6D6-4D81C12A293E

Ford Bronco We broke a Bronco on the trail! Transmission pan fix 5031AC1B-2400-4B5C-ABDC-ED712595D597

Sponsored
OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yea I’ve seen those! It looks strong but it’s also aluminum. This pan took a hard hit from a pointy rock while going downhill. It took a lot of weight from the vehicle so I’m sure it would have had least sustained heavy damage. Mabbet makes a skid plate that works with Ford skids for the pan. I just ordered one to test it

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Never leave a Bronco behind.

Thanks for sharing and sounds like you made lemonade out of lemons - well done!

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Great write up. Glad to see you got her fixed. So good to have great friends to help get you out of these kinda jams. I had a moment of stupidity in Colorado Wheeling with only one rig. Rolled two tires off the rims 40 miles from town. But my boys calmed my nerves and made short work of it. Back up and running in an hour!
Ford Bronco We broke a Bronco on the trail! Transmission pan fix 5031AC1B-2400-4B5C-ABDC-ED712595D597

Haha awesome! Good stories for sure. We had two de-beaded tires on this trip too. We had to air down to 8 PSI just to break trail due to snow.

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well a first happened! Gold Country Bronco’s went out like we usually do to explore some local trails and enjoy some fresh snow after the weeks winter storm!

Started well plowing fresh powder down the trail toward some local hot springs and 7 Broncos were making good progress.

At a certain point the trail dropped down into a rocky gorge that had a snow melt creek running down. The tough part was only about 100 yards long and had small boulders, off-camber sections, and 2 feet of fresh powder.

Unfortunately about 50 feet from the end of the gorge a Outer Banks Bronco without skid plates came down hard on a pointy rock that went straight into the transmission pan which punched a hole and leaked out 8 qts of fluid in about 10 minutes. Thankfully it was seen immediately and the Bronco was turned off and towed down out of the gorge to a flat spot.

We now faced a dilemma… attempt a trail repair or source a new pan? Either way we needed lots of transmission fluid. I climbed up a hill to get service as we were in a small valley at the bottom of the rocky gorge in deep snow. We already knew there was no pulling a dead Bronco up the gorge and a trail fix was the only way and before the next storm comes through scheduled for the evening the following day. At the hill I had 1 bar of service and was able to call a local dealer who had the part! The awesome parts guy saved it for me and set aside the service manual and extra fluid and a pump for the fluid. They were the only dealer in the area with one and had one in stock! We were quoted 3 days everywhere else.

4 of our party left back up the gorge to grab the part the following morning and 3 of us stayed the night with the stranded Bronco. Thankfully we travel prepared and had all the tools and supplies to camp in what was to be a night of 15 degrees and wind. There was a full moon and it was beautiful!

In the morning we took the two working Broncos and drove out to the trailhead where someone was waiting with the part. We then drove back down the gorge (this gorge is part of a marked trail and we were never off trail) and at this point the weather was warming up and snow was melting and the gorge was turning into a creek. The pan was $116 dollars and was held in place with 18 bolts using 8mm and 13mm bolts. It’s a tight fit and slow going with the exhaust in the way but we were able to remove the old pan with simple tools. The new pan went right into place.

On the driver side of the transmission is a full plug that has a dip stick. The manual called for 5 quarts of fluid which shows between 3 and 4 on the dip stick. After that you drive the Bronco till it reached 205-216 degrees on the transmission shown in gauges We didn’t have room to drive around and didn’t want to have issues driving up the gorge so we checked the level at 100 degrees instead as that’s as high as we could get it.

After checking levels we added another 3 quarts of fluid and everything was checking out. At first there was a low whirring noise from the transmission which was just the system purging out the air and went away after 5 minutes of driving. Everything was shifting smooth.
We drove out slow taking time on the gorge as it had become fairly gnarly even for Sasquatch Broncos.

Everyone made it it safely though and the transmission stayed at the proper level and remained in the operating temp with proper shifting the entire time!

So what could have been a really bad day turned into a cool, eventful snow camping trip! It turns out the pan replacement is not difficult on the trail. I would also guess that if we had a drill bit and 2 part epoxy we could have repaired the pan enough to drive it out but we also needed lots of fluid anyway and the pan was in stock so we went that route.

That being said, get skid plates y’all. Gonna try and make a YouTube vid as I took a ton of video but we will see.

View attachment 445091

View attachment 445093

Glad you were prepared! Nice write up!

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is there a gasket? Is it reusable?

You guys definitely looked prepared!

Sponsored

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Damn, great story, and sounds like an adventure.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Last edited:

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Dad was an MD, but he was an Oldsmobile guy; never let an MD fool around with mechanical stuff.
We usedta go hunting in the East Texas piney woods in a (I shit you not) 1970 4 door 455 CID Rocket V8 Olds Ninety Eight.
One day there was a log in the red dirt logging road and my dad, being an Oldsmobile guy, ran over it, denting the TH400 tranny pan on the rim, and leaking all the fluid out.
He and his buddies spent most of a day making a patch for the dented rim out of surgical gauze and thread, which he had in his doctor's bag.
They sent a buddy into town for about six quart jugs of tranny fluid.
We made it home.
I always gave my dad feces about not getting a truck or some kind of 4WD, since we were always out in the woods, but to no avail.
Ya'll's mileage will vary...
Sponsored