Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The bronco in this story is mine! 😅

I ordered the oem rear engine skid plate from ebay (current one is plastic), mabett transmission skid plate, and oem transfer case skid from dealership. And hopefully soon Ill get a fuel skid plate.
Sponsored

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

While reading through all the posts I found myself wondering if there is some protocol for removing/cleaning up all the spilled trans fluid? I know there are a million and one websites telling the proper methods for taking a poop in the woods but I have never really ran across anything talking about something like this where a lot of fluid is spilled so not sure what should be done.

I pretty much stay on logging roads so never do any wheeling, but is there a kit or anything that one should keep in the vehicle for this kind of thing?

Glad you got out okay!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Had this happen to me yesterday - was not a rock but a piece of wood got shoved between my exhaust pipe and my oil pan and cracked it right at the bolt. Thankfully I was with some buddies who had a trailer and was able to get it towed to my local dealership. Dropped it off for them after hours and will be expecting a call on Monday. Makes me relieved to see the part is only $100 ish dollars. Already went ahead and ordered skid plates for the trans and gas tank, not taking any chances. View attachment 468946
Yup! And we changed it on the side of a trail in the snow with basic hand tools in less then 1 1/2 so if they charge more then that for shop time they are full of it lol

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you guys want to hear a dealer horror story I got one for you.

Saturday: Trailered Bronco to dealership and left the keys are the drop box. We had to park at a steep incline as the dealership is on a hill, during this time even more fluid poured out of the rear, so it never went fully dry and as soon as we saw the leak we put it in trailer mode.

Monday: Received a call in the A.M. told them the pan was cracked and leaking and the Bronco does not drive.

Received a second call in the P.M. saying they looked at it and believe I might need a new transmission, and that it would not be under warranty as a stick went into it. I immediately questioned that as the Bronco was driving fine until I parked it with the rear much lower then the front (the crack was in the top back of the pan, and did not leak when level). She then said I could always call my insurance and tell them I hit a branch I could not avoid in the road and they would cover it. I began to push her more on the transmission and I asked to speak to the technician. Upon speaking with the technician I found out that they never even dropped the pan and looked, he said "I don't know if the stick was very long and may have gotten up there and wrapped up." I told him to drop the pan and check, told him that it was driving fine before we noticed the leak and that I know for a fact it does not need a transmission.

Fast forward to today:

Thursday P.M. - Get a call from the same woman, saying I in fact do not need a transmission and that they believe the pan is the only thing that needs changing. She then tells me it is going to be $636.57 , 3 Hours on Diagnosis, $232 in parts, and another 1 1/2 to install it. She told me the parts are: Pan, Gasket, Transmission Fluid. I told her go ahead and order the pan and do the work. I asked about the 3 hours and she states "They had it up on the lift and inspected it, and after the call with you they had to do it all again and check everything."

I plan on going in and raising a bit of concern(hell?) when the vehicle is finished being repaired, I can swallow the parts and the labor to install them, but 3 HOURS OF DIAGNOSIS? I told you what the problem was, you did not even take the pan off and called me to try and get me to have my insurance buy a whole new transmission, and only after I told you I would not do that you went and actually removed the pan to show that there was no damage to the transmission?

I understand that dealerships need to make money, and these parts managers are incentivized to upsell, but I feel like they have tried to take advantage of me twice now, once on the transmission needing "replaced" and that my "insurance will pay for it", and twice with the 3 hours of labor to "put the vehicle on the lift twice and check for damages", after they did not even take the pan off the first time and claim it needed a transmission.

I obviously do not want to be rude to these people, but I am a bit pissed off with this situation.

Let me know what you guys think.
Dang that sounds like a whole thing… we got everything said and done for 220 I parts I believe plus we did the labor ourselves. It’s very easy
Sponsored