ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was browsing around Broncos for sale and noticed an excessive amount of "used" Broncos and In Stock Broncos at Pilson Auto Centers. After talking to them a bit I found out that they are using their dealer system to buy all the Broncos they can find from other dealers at a $10k+ markup. Then they are listing on their site for 2-3X that much.

https://www.pilsonauto.com/inventor...ke=&model=Bronco&standardbody=&type=used&pg=1

I completely understand paying a premium for a limited inventory vehicle, but this really impacts fair market value IMO. Ford.com doesn't even allow us access to an inventory search, but a dealership can scan the system and pick off any available unit before a consumer has a chance. I feel like prices would be a whole lot more reasonable if it wasn't for dealer shinanigans like Pilson Auto Centers is pulling.
and if they buy at a inflated price and no one wants to pay the price, then they lose money. but since there are not too many who share your moral outrage, they will pay the inflated price. so, you might not be happy but the dealer and the buyer are happy. don't spend your money with the dealer who does not make you happy.. #adulting
Sponsored

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
MSRP = Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price. Dealerships can charge whatever they want and they try to gauge what the market will bear when it comes to higher prices. Some dealerships are intentionally using ridiculous ADMs to keep them from being sold right now, too. A full lot looks better than an empty one.

Even my Bronco has an ADM tied to it ($1000). But that's more than I would lose taking a day off work to go get it elsewhere + costs to travel. Add in the dealership gives me $100 for every person I refer to them who buys a vehicle, it's a wash if I get 10 people to buy a vehicle from them whether its new or used. I don't post about it on social media or anything, I just keep 3 referral cards on me and if it comes up in regular conversation about people looking, I hand them out. This is why the ADM bothers me less and less. I've already made most of it back ($700 worth) without any real skin off my back or pestering people. It helps them, it helps me, and heck, if I were to use my 'salesman voice', I could probably pay for the Bronco this way if I tried hard enough LOL

Bronco615

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet Sonic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only one to blame are the suckers continuing to buy them. When mine comes in I'll drive it until someone gives me an outlandish offer. Or I'll continue to ride it and keep it forever. This community is too negative, I'm sure all of you love that the used bronco you're driving is worth substantially more than what you paid for it but then hate the price gouging?!? We have customers selling their orders on ebay before they arrive and all you guys are hating on dealers
Watch out you will get hate mail for saying this

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
MSRP = Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price. Dealerships can charge whatever they want and they try to gauge what the market will bear when it comes to higher prices. Some dealerships are intentionally using ridiculous ADMs to keep them from being sold right now, too. A full lot looks better than an empty one.

Even my Bronco has an ADM tied to it ($1000). But that's more than I would lose taking a day off work to go get it elsewhere + costs to travel. Add in the dealership gives me $100 for every person I refer to them who buys a vehicle, it's a wash if I get 10 people to buy a vehicle from them whether its new or used. I don't post about it on social media or anything, I just keep 3 referral cards on me and if it comes up in regular conversation about people looking, I hand them out. This is why the ADM bothers me less and less. I've already made most of it back ($700 worth) without any real skin off my back or pestering people. It helps them, it helps me, and heck, if I were to use my 'salesman voice', I could probably pay for the Bronco this way if I tried hard enough LOL
So by becoming a salesman for the dealership you essentially have a "wash" situation for their ADM charge after 10 referrals...nice. Im not sure I could ever have 10 referrals for a car purchase for a dealership without working full time for them.

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So by becoming a salesman for the dealership you essentially have a "wash" situation for their ADM charge after 10 referrals...nice. Im not sure I could ever have 10 referrals for a car purchase for a dealership without working full time for them.
I don't waste any real energy on it. Just if it comes up. I've had the referral cards since last year. The extent of my 'salesmanship' here is that I just hand the card over and say "go talk to this guy and see if he can hook you up" if someone mentions they are looking for something. No real skin off my back there.

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

funny how this capitalism thing only seems to be ok if it benefits one self, but as soon as others make a pile it's gouging and evil, LOL.

Hope none of those that complain ever shop at Starbucks with their 800%+ markup on mediocre coffee that costs them maybe 20ct to make, or buy clothing, even at any of the fake "sales" we get all year.

Somebody with extra cash wants something now instead of months from now, somebody else has it for sale for extra cash, they meet and walk away happy. How that gets so many here huffing and puffing is just amusing.

Shop around and don't buy there, simple. Plenty options for everyone and their wallet.

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
funny how this capitalism thing only seems to be ok if it benefits one self, but as soon as others make a pile it's gouging and evil, LOL.

Hope none of those that complain ever shop at Starbucks with their 800%+ markup on mediocre coffee that costs them maybe 20ct to make, or buy clothing, even at any of the fake "sales" we get all year.

Somebody with extra cash wants something now instead of months from now, somebody else has it for sale for extra cash, they meet and walk away happy. How that gets so many here huffing and puffing is just amusing.

Shop around and don't buy there, simple. Plenty options for everyone and their wallet.
Honestly, it is what it is. I think the main issue with dealerships, is it is a stacked deck. There has been a 100+ year dealership PAC that is rock solid that ensures they control the new car market. A customer may luck up and get a car at MSRP or below, but that is pure luck. The dealership controls the market. It's why Tesla is hated so much by Ford, Chevy, etc.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had 1 back in 2018. My dealership pays $200 per referral. The guy bought a Raptor and 2 other vehicles. He bought from my salesman as I suggested.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's why Tesla is hated so much by Ford, Chevy, etc.
but then, Tesla just controls the market themselves, so you can't even find a friendly dealer willing to give you a discount. Not sure where that's better, lots of people here bragging about 'below invoice' and discounts off MSRP. And I have to say, I'm gonna be happy to have a service dept 5 min from my house, always liked that with my Taco, and Ford is just a bit down the road. Probably more expensive than Joe's garage, but even here I have options, with Tesla you have no options at all, use their service dept or park it. Again they control the price, and I'm sure Musk is not a samaritan in how he has those things priced out, he has to buy rocket fuel, LOL

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If a dealership didn't use their Ford system to scoop up all the available inventory and then mark it up again, then private sales wouldn't bring as much either. I think we would have a lot more Broncos for sale at the $10K markup instead of the $20k. If we had the same tools as the dealers to find available units I think pricing would be a lot more reasonable.
Please explain your theory on how having MORE people competing to buy a limited resource from a dealer will lower the price?

Sponsored

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If a dealer sells everything on his lot at a good price but then has an empty lot while others have cars to sell, what has he done to himself? The problem is the supply, not the demand. For now, there is no supply. Same with the RV industry. Eventually the supply will catch up to the demand and if it doesn't then we are all screwed anyway. It's all vehicles. Met a guy yesterday that paid $10K over for a KIA, and he was glad it wasn't $15K. If you want a good deal, you'll have to wait a while.

Mike Zike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acadia Denali ultimate
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Who cares, this is America. If they want to rip people off let them. It’s not like someone has a gun to your head making you buy one of their over priced Broncos.
Super markets and stores did the same thing with toilet paper,it was a shitty thing to do but you bet your ass I bought it.lol

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Who cares, this is America. If they want to rip people off let them. It’s not like someone has a gun to your head making you buy one of their over priced Broncos.
I mean, everyone that it negatively effects should care. This is America. We don't need to tolerate shitty business practices by middleman dealers that only exist because they're protected from legitimate competition by outdated legislation in most states. Fuck dealerships.

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
and if they buy at a inflated price and no one wants to pay the price, then they lose money. but since there are not too many who share your moral outrage, they will pay the inflated price. so, you might not be happy but the dealer and the buyer are happy. don't spend your money with the dealer who does not make you happy.. #adulting
You're right! Thanks for the lesson in economics supply side Jesus

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I mean, everyone that it negatively effects should care. This is America. We don't need to tolerate shitty business practices by middleman dealers that only exist because they're protected from legitimate competition by outdated legislation in most states. Fuck dealerships.
It only affects someone negatively if they choose to take part in the dealings. If there were no begging customers, there would be no dealers trying to keep them happy at a hefty profit. I think the view from the sidelines is uglier than what those customers see. They have a Bronco with much less hassle then others are dealing with. It's kind of like shopping at Wal-Mart. A lot of people go there to save a little. Others wouldn't set foot inside their stores. They shop at a higher end store, even if they have to pay more.
Sponsored