Sponsored

We drove a local dealers “not for sale” Bronco

dave91gt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250, 1991 Mustang GT, 1992 Mustang LX, 2018 Wrangler JLU, 1998 Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been looking at local dealer inventory for a couple weeks hoping to find a Bronco for the wife and I to see and drive before placing an order. Sure enough- a dealer about 40 miles away advertised one with bold letters ”not for sale”. Called dealer and the confirmed it was available to drive. So Saturday morning, the wife and I along with our 13 year old daughter loaded into our Mopar lifted JLU and headed out for a first impression.
We pulled into the nearly empty lot and there was another couple there about to head out on a test drive. So we just hung out until they returned. Their first words were “I love it and it drives better than any Jeep I’ve ever owned”. Mind you- the wife has on her WV Jeep event shirt and is already on the fence.
So we jump in and I drive first. Head onto the interstate and crank it up to 70. Immediate impressions- steering is amazing! I literally had to just sit there and let it go straight. That’s it. Almost boring compared to the Wrangler I just got out of. Acceleration was good from the 2.7. Typical ecoboost- no drama just smooth powerful acceleration. i pulled off the interstate so the wife cold drive us back. I think she was overwhelmed in such a short drive. Getting the seat adjusted, getting Into heavy traffic, etc.
She auickly commented on the steering being better. Also- the huge touchscreen was a bit of a dramatic change to her Wrangler radio.
We pulled in and the couple was still talking to the salesman.
At this point it got awkward.
As the wife and daughter were going over the Bronco, the other wife was asking lots of questions. Options, features, etc. and the two salesman were clueless. Literally had no knowledge of the biggest vehicle Ford has launched in years.
I couldn’t let it go and politely added myself into the conversation. Basically, the sales staff stood there as I educated this couple on the Bronco. The sales staff was asking ME questions! The wife of the couple thanked me and looked at the sales team and told them I need a commission. I apologized to the sales team again after the couple left. They THANKED me for helping.
I must say I was disappointed they didn’t know anything about the Bronco. I parked it next to our Jeep and went over some differences with the salesman to help him in the future.
Anyway- impressions.
The Bronco was a black OBX non squatch (this hurt my chances with the wife for first impression) with the high package, 2.7, soft top. I swear it was a perfect twin in options (generally) to our Sahara when we bought it stock. Similar wheels, height, literally the same factory tires, cloth, etc.
Our time was brief but standouts to me vs Jeep were seat comfort, tech, steering. Lots going on with each of those categories but I’ve already written a novel. It is a beautiful vehicle and is more comfortable than the Wrangler. It also feels better built. The backseat is more comfortable according to my daughter.
The stereo was adequate. Not having overhead speakers is noticeable. Was it bad? Nope. Good sound overall. Just different experience in acoustics. BTW- the Jeep speakers rattle. Drives me crazy.
As far as the engine- I’m torn. we have had several ecoboosts. All 3.5. They drive very different than a N/A motor. Initial tip in and “pep” wasn’t there for me with this drive. Now once you got moving, it was noticeably more powerful than our Jeep. Much “meatier” mid range. So on the highway, it didn’t downshift to gain speed. the Jeep jumps down a few gears and revs up. From a low speed “pep” standpoint, the Jeep 3.6 is more responsive. The deep gearing in their 8 speed is a super low ratio and with no turbos to spin up, it just goes. The Bronco is more refined. was the Bronco a slug? Not at all. Just different response.
The wife needs to see a Sasquatch version next to her Jeep. She is very much in love with the “looks” of her slightly lifted Wrangler. Coupled with the fact we are well paid down and by the time we could get a Bronco would get back to a big payment is giving her semi cold feet. She liked the drivability. It almost had an opposite effect in that the Bronco drove like a regular SUV. Refined. She’s so used to the Jeep’s shortcomings it’s almost part of the character of the vehicle.
The Bronco was what I expected. A better Jeep. Having researched so much between this forum and YouTube, I knew what to expect. And it lives up to the hype.
I’m sharing all of this honestly and based on a very brief experience. There will be a Bronco in our driveway at some point. My wife has had time to reflect and is starting to comment on how much better it drove. Added safety and tech. Etc.
I’m dangling the fact she is still a Jeeper as her 98 TJ will be going nowhere.
Ford Bronco We drove a local dealers “not for sale” Bronco CA3787A3-F1E2-4B7B-8A23-E5720F32E3AA
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been looking at local dealer inventory for a couple weeks hoping to find a Bronco for the wife and I to see and drive before placing an order. Sure enough- a dealer about 40 miles away advertised one with bold letters ”not for sale”. Called dealer and the confirmed it was available to drive. So Saturday morning, the wife and I along with our 13 year old daughter loaded into our Mopar lifted JLU and headed out for a first impression.
We pulled into the nearly empty lot and there was another couple there about to head out on a test drive. So we just hung out until they returned. Their first words were “I love it and it drives better than any Jeep I’ve ever owned”. Mind you- the wife has on her WV Jeep event shirt and is already on the fence.
So we jump in and I drive first. Head onto the interstate and crank it up to 70. Immediate impressions- steering is amazing! I literally had to just sit there and let it go straight. That’s it. Almost boring compared to the Wrangler I just got out of. Acceleration was good from the 2.7. Typical ecoboost- no drama just smooth powerful acceleration. i pulled off the interstate so the wife cold drive us back. I think she was overwhelmed in such a short drive. Getting the seat adjusted, getting Into heavy traffic, etc.
She auickly commented on the steering being better. Also- the huge touchscreen was a bit of a dramatic change to her Wrangler radio.
We pulled in and the couple was still talking to the salesman.
At this point it got awkward.
As the wife and daughter were going over the Bronco, the other wife was asking lots of questions. Options, features, etc. and the two salesman were clueless. Literally had no knowledge of the biggest vehicle Ford has launched in years.
I couldn’t let it go and politely added myself into the conversation. Basically, the sales staff stood there as I educated this couple on the Bronco. The sales staff was asking ME questions! The wife of the couple thanked me and looked at the sales team and told them I need a commission. I apologized to the sales team again after the couple left. They THANKED me for helping.
I must say I was disappointed they didn’t know anything about the Bronco. I parked it next to our Jeep and went over some differences with the salesman to help him in the future.
Anyway- impressions.
The Bronco was a black OBX non squatch (this hurt my chances with the wife for first impression) with the high package, 2.7, soft top. I swear it was a perfect twin in options (generally) to our Sahara when we bought it stock. Similar wheels, height, literally the same factory tires, cloth, etc.
Our time was brief but standouts to me vs Jeep were seat comfort, tech, steering. Lots going on with each of those categories but I’ve already written a novel. It is a beautiful vehicle and is more comfortable than the Wrangler. It also feels better built. The backseat is more comfortable according to my daughter.
The stereo was adequate. Not having overhead speakers is noticeable. Was it bad? Nope. Good sound overall. Just different experience in acoustics. BTW- the Jeep speakers rattle. Drives me crazy.
As far as the engine- I’m torn. we have had several ecoboosts. All 3.5. They drive very different than a N/A motor. Initial tip in and “pep” wasn’t there for me with this drive. Now once you got moving, it was noticeably more powerful than our Jeep. Much “meatier” mid range. So on the highway, it didn’t downshift to gain speed. the Jeep jumps down a few gears and revs up. From a low speed “pep” standpoint, the Jeep 3.6 is more responsive. The deep gearing in their 8 speed is a super low ratio and with no turbos to spin up, it just goes. The Bronco is more refined. was the Bronco a slug? Not at all. Just different response.
The wife needs to see a Sasquatch version next to her Jeep. She is very much in love with the “looks” of her slightly lifted Wrangler. Coupled with the fact we are well paid down and by the time we could get a Bronco would get back to a big payment is giving her semi cold feet. She liked the drivability. It almost had an opposite effect in that the Bronco drove like a regular SUV. Refined. She’s so used to the Jeep’s shortcomings it’s almost part of the character of the vehicle.
The Bronco was what I expected. A better Jeep. Having researched so much between this forum and YouTube, I knew what to expect. And it lives up to the hype.
I’m sharing all of this honestly and based on a very brief experience. There will be a Bronco in our driveway at some point. My wife has had time to reflect and is starting to comment on how much better it drove. Added safety and tech. Etc.
I’m dangling the fact she is still a Jeeper as her 98 TJ will be going nowhere.
Ford Bronco We drove a local dealers “not for sale” Bronco CA3787A3-F1E2-4B7B-8A23-E5720F32E3AA
The 2.7 and 10sp will break in an “learn” your driving patterns pretty quickly. I would guess your impression would change to the good after some seat time with the 2.7. Great write up and hopefully you get the best of both worlds!

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.7 and 10sp will break in an “learn” your driving patterns pretty quickly. I would guess your impression would change to the good after some seat time with the 2.7. Great write up and hopefully you get the best of both worlds!
Also, the 4.7s on the squatch could make an impact compared to the OB as far as the “off the line” feel.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That piece I’m confused on. So you’re supposed to baby it for the 1st 1000 miles, limiting speed and RPMs etc…so how does the transmission “learn” you if you have to limit during break in? Does it change after and relearn after break in, when you can actually drive the thing?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there any way to find out which Ford Dealers have received test drive Broncos, besides cold- calling Dealer to Dealer ?
You can do an Inventory search…

You can also search for other vehicles if you want to check out colors as well (i found a bronco sport in A51 so I could see it in person before ordering).

https://shop.ford.com/inventory/bronco/

A couple things to remember:

The dealer demo FCTP program give them a Bronco, but it’s up to the dealer what they want to do with it. Some aren’t letting people drive or even sit in them.

Also, the inventory that displays in Search populates when the VIN in assigned, so it may look like they have a vehicle but it’s not even on a truck yet.

Either way, you’ll have to eventually call to see if they have it and how available to you it will be.

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You can do an Inventory search…

You can also search for other vehicles if you want to check out colors as well (i found a bronco sport in A51 so I could see it in person before ordering).

https://shop.ford.com/inventory/bronco/
I did check in a 100 miles radius in NH, MA could not find a single Bronco at any Dealer, did you have any luck so far? apart from the Dealer showings a month back.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dave91gt

dave91gt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250, 1991 Mustang GT, 1992 Mustang LX, 2018 Wrangler JLU, 1998 Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice review!!
Thanks! Apologies for spelling errors. Using an ipad sometimes causes my fingers to hit the wrong letters. At least that’s what I’m claiming hehe.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That piece I’m confused on. So you’re supposed to baby it for the 1st 1000 miles, limiting speed and RPMs etc…so how does the transmission “learn” you if you have to limit during break in? Does it change after and relearn after break in, when you can actually drive the thing?
It does. It’s hard to describe but both my F150s and my sons Ranger got better over 1k miles and the mileage improves as well until about 10k miles.

OP
OP
dave91gt

dave91gt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure where in WV you're from.. But there's a red 4 door at Elkins Fordland. that is squatch'd if you fancy another test drive.
Thanks! We are actually in Jackson county so that’s a bit of a drive. Still may do it though.

OP
OP
dave91gt

dave91gt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there any way to find out which Ford Dealers have received test drive Broncos, besides cold- calling Dealer to Dealer ?
In my case I did dealer Inventory searches in my area (actual dealer sites) and searched by model. Several indicated they had a Bronco but there were no stock numbers or window stickers. In this case, they had an actual picture of their Bronco with big letters “not for sale”. So I called and asked if it could be driven. Honestly- as little as they knew about the vehicle they may have not known any better. I’m surprised they didn’t even ask if I had a reservation or if I even wanted one.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well at-least they let you drive theirs. We stopped in to check one out. It’s clearly their demo, it’s on their website, dealer plate, car seat in the back. We got the cold shoulder big time and we’re told no ones allowed drive it. It gets washed and put back on the show room floor. I look forward to more getting out that dealers won’t be stingy with. My gut feeling is they’re gonna hold it for the required 6 months, keep the miles below X for someone who prebought it then sell it for fat ADM.
Sponsored