Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ya know, I think this is one of the reasons the tow rating is so low at only 3,500. YES, I realize it is an offroad vehicle and has a soft suspension, etc. but this transmission sure doesn't help the case.

I wish it was the 10R80 in the Ranger and then I think the tow rating would be increase some, at least over the measly 3,500 rating matching that of my Ford Edge...
Sponsored

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does anyone even know whatb the actual differences are?

I'm basically seeing 14 pages of why this is such a travesty but no one has any explanation other than it's got a 60 instead of an 80 in its name.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
60 is 20 less than 80, so it's 25% less of whatever makes the 80 better. duh.

OpenAir25

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone even know whatb the actual differences are?

I'm basically seeing 14 pages of why this is such a travesty but no one has any explanation other than it's got a 60 instead of an 80 in its name.
The difference is the torque rating.
10R60 442 foot pounds
10R80 590 foot pounds

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am still not buying the math or the current math if its true, the 60 must have changed specs given the 2.7 is 415tq. no way given how conservative Ford has been historically that they would be that close to the ceiling specs.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am still not buying the math or the current math if its true, the 60 must have changed specs given the 2.7 is 415tq. no way given how conservative Ford has been historically that they would be that close to the ceiling specs.
I'm not buying that Ford has historically been conservative. Ford transmissions suck.

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah I'm not worried about the torque ratings as much as the Explorer forums and complaint reviews online with a ton of these transmissions failing usually from 5-8k miles. Ford has to have resolved these issues and also this transmission is likely different internally to handle how differently the Bronco will need gearing and power delivery - this is just my assumption.

OpenAir25

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From most of the failures on the Explorer it looks like it was the external transmission cooler. It would leak on the "barb" for the hoses (cracked aluminum). Once you loose your fluid you toast your tranny. They seemed to have fixed that though and beefed it up.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From most of the failures on the Explorer it looks like it was the external transmission cooler. It would leak on the "barb" for the hoses (cracked aluminum). Once you loose your fluid you toast your tranny. They seemed to have fixed that though and beefed it up.
Where is their trans cooler mounted? Ive had both manual (in the grill but removed after installing turbo & intercooler) and electric cooler (fan controlled under the tub) on my jeep. Had/have multiple temp sensors installed to keep accurate digital readings on my trans. Manual cooler worked fine when on 33s when I lived in FL but when I jumped to 35s while still living in FL, the additional electric cooler had to be installed.

I guess that’s my biggest fear is this 10r60 trans running hot with larger tires, towing a offroad trailer and here climbing from 6k to 11k+ elevation. Like I did with my jeep, I can always add a larger or different trans cooler but also have to take into account the 2.7 intercooler location & not block too much if the radiator. This is why on gladiators with the diesel the tow rating is less than the 3.6 due to not being able to cool the engine enough.

Auto Paint

Outer Banks
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Expedition Platinum 2020 Volvo XC60 T6R
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As if Ford couldn't fuck this launch up any further.

I'm in a 2021 Platinum Expedition mom car now because I don't trust Ford to put out a reasonably trouble-free “refreshed” 2021 F-150.

I had a 2018 KR 150 that became a pile of shit between 35,000 and 50,000. The shit bird dealership I used to deal with helped by adding an extra quart of transmission fluid to a transmission service I never needed.

This news about the automatic transmission is disappointing because everything about the current Explorer is trash. They can't give them away. Look it up.

I had a few Platinum ones as loaners when King Ford kept fucking up my last truck and the trans shifted like trash. I'm in Marathon now, and I have Limited Explorer that sucks worse than a Platinum Explorer.

In sport mode, the only mode the Platinum got out of its own way, it shifted like some HS kids who played GTA designed the strategy. It totally overwhelmed the 2001 suspension.

I feel bad for these people who want to be the first to post to get their Bronco because they don't know what they are in for being Ford beta testers.

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what I found on that @ 3:08

TheObiJuan

Wildtrak
First Name
J.M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ford Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
After stewing on this a couple days I think Explorer ST and Platinum owners have more of a gripe than Bronco owners. They’re stuck with this trans behind an even more powerful engine with the 3.0T.
Same torque output, with the Bronco pushing much heavier tires (rotational mass)

TheObiJuan

Wildtrak
First Name
J.M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ford Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As an ST owner with one trans under his belt I can tell you it was broken internal parts not due to heating, but torque.

Even with Level 10 upgraded transmissions the factory flex plate shreds and no upgraded ones are available yet.

Will the transmission be a problem for folks who remain stock, even with Squatch? Likely not.
But for folks who tune, add exhausts, intercooler, run E85….yeah the stock trans rated for stock TQ is a bad combo.

TheObiJuan

Wildtrak
First Name
J.M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ford Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And yet Ford did this exact thing with the all-new 2020 Explorer ST. It comes with 415lb-ft and is rated for 443lb-ft.
With only a 93 tune you’re hitting 500lb-ft to the wheels.

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Historically, Ford put a modified Pinto transmission in the first gen Explorer!
Just saying...lol
Sponsored