Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am curious to see if they spec a different transmission based on power train or model. It does seem odd to put it in a 2.7 powered vehicle with 35” tires and not in a 800lb lighter Ranger with 30” tires. (Tow rating maybe being the reason).
Sponsored

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Livernois and 5 Star are making well over 500lf/lbs at the wheels with their Explorer ST tunes ... I don't know about you but 150ft/lbs and 100hp increase at the tires is plenty for a trail truck. I'm not concerned that it's near it's threshold if well established tuners are making that much torque with their off the shelf tunes.
This is a good point. As someone that plans on visiting Five Star tuning after getting my Bronco, this makes me feel better.

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doesn't inspire much confidence in this transmission.

"People who own 2020 Ford Explorers have reported a wide range of 2020 Explorer transmission problems, including hard shifting, jerking, and the need for total transmission replacement. It’s clear that the transmission has turned into one of the worst features found in the 2020 Ford Explorer."

Quote taken from the website below:
https://www.cashcarsbuyer.com/2020-explorer-transmission-problems/

There are many other websites that discuss problems with this transmission. You don't have to look very hard to find reports of problems.

I'm really looking for some evidence that Ford has resolved these problems and that the transmission won't be the "weak link" on the Bronco which may cause lingering problems. My number one concern with buying a Bronco has been reliability. I put these concerns to rest months ago thinking that the engine and transmission have been proven in the F-150. It turns out now that this is not the case and instead, the transmission has been very problematic in the Explorer.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't know technical details on an auto trans, but I know there are many things that can be done internally to significant make them perform differently.

Between torque converters, clutch packs, valve bodies, and not to mention ECU controls, alot can be done regardless of the "case" it uses.

we've seen them beat on them, race in the 1,000..so I'm note really worried so much personally. Does seem odd the Bronco doesn't get Ford's "truck" transmission, but I don't see that as a weak link.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well if you want to get on the same train everyone’s complaining about regarding the torque rating, the 7 speed is (on paper) rated to handle less: 550 Nm vs the 10 speeds 600.
I do not. I was pointing out an available alternative for those who find this situation untenable.

Sponsored

OpenAir25

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know technical details on an auto trans, but I know there are many things that can be done internally to significant make them perform differently.

Between torque converters, clutch packs, valve bodies, and not to mention ECU controls, alot can be done regardless of the "case" it uses.

we've seen them beat on them, race in the 1,000..so I'm note really worried so much personally. Does seem odd the Bronco doesn't get Ford's "truck" transmission, but I don't see that as a weak link.
I wonder if those Broncos had the 80 or the 60. Maybe the 60 is a newer “cost savings”.
Anybody have a picture of the door tags from the Moab Broncos?

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Doesn't inspire much ...

...case and instead, the transmission has been very problematic in the Explorer.
This looks like a thin argument on this site. A lot of "people on other sites have said..." and "while there aren't any recalls or problems, watch out...one day there MAY be..." type statements.

A few negative comments (per capita) are not uncommon on public comments. I've read reviews of my favorite restaurant, beach, or vehicle and you'll find 5% saying how awful these things I love are. If there are recalls or reworks or a changed transmission next year, you'll know the comments are more in consensus. That site seems to be ramblings of one guy.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I wonder if those Broncos had the 80 or the 60. Maybe the 60 is a newer “cost savings”.
Anybody have a picture of the door tags from the Moab Broncos?
From a VB Sas at Moab

Ford Bronco 10R60 (not 10R80) 10-speed automatic transmission for 2021 Bronco [update: confirmed in Ford parts system] IMGP5250.JPG

Sponsored

Bronco2021RV

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do you have a source for this? It seems like until this morning we all assumed 10r80 for both, but there's only been evidence put forward for the 10r60.
Doesn't inspire much confidence in this transmission.

"People who own 2020 Ford Explorers have reported a wide range of 2020 Explorer transmission problems, including hard shifting, jerking, and the need for total transmission replacement. It’s clear that the transmission has turned into one of the worst features found in the 2020 Ford Explorer."

Quote taken from the website below:

There are many other websites that discuss problems with this transmission. You don't have to look very hard to find reports of problems.

I'm really looking for some evidence that Ford has resolved these problems and that the transmission won't be the "weak link" on the Bronco which may cause lingering problems. My number one concern with buying a Bronco has been reliability. I put these concerns to rest months ago thinking that the engine and transmission have been proven in the F-150. It turns out now that this is not the case and instead, the transmission has been very problematic in the Explorer.
if.. ford stay with the 10R60 for me will be the last straw. I’m going to wait Till I see my Bronco on the dealership lot and if the bronco has the 10R60 in it I’ll tell the dealer he has a bronco that he will be very happy to sell someone else. I’m not willing to gamble 50k and hope it will be fine.

OpenAir25

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From a VB Sas at Moab

IMGP5250.JPG
Thanks. So it looks like the 60. All the videos from Moab looked like it shifted well. My neighbor has a new Explorer and the thing shifts like *hit. They hate it so much they are going to trade it in. Hopefully they have done something different with the transmission?

Last edited:

Djdmustang

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This SOP for Ford, using "just enough" transmission. It's more unusual that the Ranger has the 80 than that the Bronco does not.
This just enough transmission is not OK in a $60k off road vehicle. It just isn't, when one is doing heavy rock crawling.... Perhaps the 2.3L will be OK with the 60 but the 2.7 needs to have the equal to Ranger setup........ there is no way the Ranger should have a better transmission than a $60k Bronco. But when one thinks that we are "A Fat Pig" vehicle limited to 3,500 lbs towing; it now makes sense that they are using the 60 which is lighter since we cant, don't belong and should never tow more than the Ranger. Maybe the Bronco Raptor will have the F150 transmission.

Djdmustang

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was this thread started to stir the pot?
No Its not, we have been deceived / shined many times by Ford. We (members of this forum) are doing what real reporters should be doing, finding the truth not just taking things that are forced fed by the the people in charge. We want the truth.
Sponsored