J.M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ford Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where is this 442ft/lb document?

The 10r80 goes in the ZL1 Camaro making 650ft/lbs ... I really think you're crying over speculation at this point 😉
The 10R60 is rated for 600NM. Feel free to do the conversion to lb-ft…or don’t.

Djdmustang

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I own a tuned Explorer ST with 10R60 and it’s a wonderful shifting and intuitive transmission, but it’s weak. Perhaps you had a faulty one. The weak as FUCK tranny rated for just 443TQ and with an E85 tune it breaks. Even aftermarket upgraded trans are having flex plates break because those upgraded parts aren’t available yet.

It’s an absolute disservice to this platform for Ford to charge us $60k and give me shit sandwich, penny-pinching tranny.
Shameful.
Sadly many will read your post and just tell u one of these responses: A. Go get a Jeep and be happy with it or B. Cancel your order so I will jump forward in line. People will gloss over your comment because either they don’t know or care to talk about good mechanical topics for discussion. That’s all we are doing here talking and communicating and raising questions and being informative. Hopefully the people with the A or B answers can bring some good discussion points to the table. I agree with your comment. I think that the 2.7 with the 10R60 is a mistake if one expects reliability when used and abused for off road, heavy rock crawling or towing. It will be OK but for how long? 2 to 5 years or 10? We will not know. Why not just put the Ranger transmission in the 2.7 and the Explorer one in 2.3..... it’s simple in my opinion. They need to separate the trims from the Mall Bronco that doesn’t need the 2.7 to the Hardcore 2.7 that is set up for high abuse. Perhaps Ford just needs to get this Bronco out for the masses, they will learn from this and maybe in 2-3 years they will have more time and resources to fine tune this very capable off roader.

Last edited:

TheObiJuan

Wildtrak
First Name
J.M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ford Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don’t think anyone knows enough to say Ford is deceiving anyone. I can’t find anywhere that they claim it’s anything other than a 10sp (no claims it was the “60” or “80”.I am also not concerned about the shifting properties. Not that it can’t be bad, but my experience and opinion already varies wildly form others rests and impressions of the F150/2.7, so it remains to be seen. I would like to understand the rationale and what Ford has done to validate the performance and durability in the Bronco application. It may be a short lived vehicle in my stable if the truck can’t be used the way I intend, but that’s TBD.
Ford’s own Bronco engineer said 10R80

Attachments

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford’s own Bronco engineer said 10R80
Well that's something, but I don't know that it screams cover up, it was an engineer talking about the transmission over a year ago, not Ford specifying it and then changing. He very well could have just misspoke. I wonder why they changed (if they did)? I guess we still don't even know if they have or for all models, although the current production SQ models having the code does indicate that's the transmission. I have read through a couple of Explorer forums and the issues reported are primarily cold shifting (which if I have on complaint about my current 10SP is when I leave my cabin, getting directly on a 55MPH highway cold, it shifts "poorly"). I am also pleasantly surprised that the ST and the Police Interceptor use the 10R60. They had to put them through fairly severe duty cycle testing and the big motor is 415HP and 400 lb ft of torque and weigh about the same as the Bronco (4700 lbs for ST and probably over 5k for most of the PI models). The Explorer also carriers a 5600 lb tow rating, so that's not likely to be the specific limiting factor on that side of the Bronco specs either. I am sure some people will decide to forgo the Bronco over this issue and I get that. I would rather have the transmission rated for more toque too, but it's still not a deal breaker for me.. I also don't know if it was a cost decision, the "HD" transmission does not necessarily have a significant cost difference, but auto manufacturers are typically trying to "content" everything, so it is safe to assume it was a cost decision. Do we know if the transmission if physically different? The mock up chassis has been around forever, it seems like others would have caught the issue early or maybe we could verify the mock up had the 10R80 vs 60? I should try and find my twitter account password, I would like Mike Levine to respond as to what transmission the Bronco will have and why they made that choice.

madbaird

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ann Guzdial
Quality Launch Vehicle Coordinator at Ford Motor Company
Franklin, Michigan, United States Contact info
  • beta&t=R9v7KRXTv2w3ylg45P5T1wUYu2Dp03BizadOPVUseg4.jpg

• Quality Launch Vehicle Coordinator
      Full-time
      Dates EmployedJan 2020 – Present
      Employment Duration1 yr 5 mos
      LocationLivonia, Michigan, United States

Ford, Livonia Transmission Plant, Livonia, MI January 2020-Present
      Quality Launch Vehicle Coordinator on 10R80, 10R60, MHT, 6R and 8F platforms
      New responsibilities include support Program Launch Manager for planning and tracking of prototypes and test vehicles. Prepare and follow up of the related time plans.
      Analysis and correlation of test results of vehicle testing.
      Order prototypes and track the manufacturing and buying process.
      Creation of test requests to problem solve manufacturing and/or design issues.
    • TitleQuality Engineer on 10R80, 10R60 and 10R80 MHT platform
      Full-time
      Dates EmployedDec 2017 – Jan 2020
      Employment Duration2 yrs 2 mos
      LocationLivonia Transmission Plant

Performed daily evaluation of the transmission case and valve body machining on the 10R launch program. Conduct daily evaluation of the work quality improvement plans addressing problem areas and investigating quality issues to provide root cause analysis. Recommend changes to procedures, develop and modify quality control procedure for continuous improvement and ensure effective corrective actions are taken. Manage quality action plans, audits, Dynamic Control Plan meetings and performance monitoring to assist Process Coaches toward industrial standards of excellence.
      Performed daily evaluation of the quality improvement plans on transmissions and input shaft assemblies. These responsibilities include evaluation of the assembly of case, gears, valve bodies, filters, wiring harnesses, speed control sensors, torque converters, snap rings, clutches, front supports and many other transmission component assemblies from Ford’s in-house and outside suppliers. Also, managed quality action plans of various sorts: Team Audits, Performance Job Operation audits, Dynamic Control Plan meetings and performance monitoring to assist Process Coaches for continuous improvement toward industrial standards of excellence.…

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@ 1:54

"It's got a 10r80 10 speed automatic transmission that will be in the production Bronco."
-Ford Performance Engineer

Sponsored

Deleted member 18388

I own a tuned Explorer ST with 10R60 and it’s a wonderful shifting and intuitive transmission, but it’s weak. Perhaps you had a faulty one. The weak as FUCK tranny rated for just 443TQ and with an E85 tune it breaks. Even aftermarket upgraded trans are having flex plates break because those upgraded parts aren’t available yet.

It’s an absolute disservice to this platform for Ford to charge us $60k and give me shit sandwich, penny-pinching tranny.
Shameful.
Well I also think your ST was tuned correctly and had balls. The two that I have driven at work are the 3.3 N/A engines. They are pigs. This is probably the difference.

OpenAir25

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Of all the things that have been complained about(delays, MIC color, paint colors, etc...) this is the only one that bothers me for some reason.

Hopefully we can find out what the actual differences are between the transmissions. I am sure the transmission will be fine, I just would like to have the stronger one.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Th is one is strange..if all of this is accurate. Putting a transmission rated to such a tiny degree above the stock torque rating is baffling. Maybe they changed the spec or the transmission. Maybe they decided the 60 is just a Better transmission than the 80. I would like to hear the rationale. It is just very limiting as far as tunes which is a problem. Maybe I won’t tune, as 330hp with 425ft of torque is already very strong, but I would like the option. Not a deal breaker, but puzzling.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Everyone freaking out about fake, made up transmission torque ratings is peak Bronco6G. Chill out.

The 60=600Nm/lb-ft/rods per horsehoof is made up and doesn't mean what you think it means.

This may be another reason why tow rating is low, perhaps the 60 transmission is maxed out at 3,500lbs + vehicle weight.
The 2020 Explorer weighs 4700lbs and tows 5600lbs, so no.

This SOP for Ford, using "just enough" transmission. It's more unusual that the Ranger has the 80 than that the Bronco does not.
The Ranger is rated to tow more than twice as much as the Bronco.

Not to be that guy, but the 2020 Explorer cannot be flat towed behind a motorhome. I suspect it's because it lacks a 4WD transfer case even though it come in 4WD options.
The Explorer does have a transfer case. It has an assembly that bolts onto the tailhousing of the transmission of AWD models and directs power to the front axle via a driveshaft. It probably just doesn't have a "neutral" mode like traditional 4x4 transfer cases did.
Sponsored