First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just ran the VIN within the service portal to see if it could be an issue of a different coding strategy for the Bronco model line.

Nope - 10R60.

1620513751758.png

Which is interesting given SAE's Automotive Industries magazine reported as Bronco having the 10R80 when the vehicle was revealed. Not saying anyone is infallible, but knowing that publication - and that particular editor - fairly well, I'd wager this could have been a late-breaking change.
What the hell is ā€œabsolute blackā€?! How many changes are being made today!? Lol
Sponsored

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The picture of the 60 in no way looks like it will fit in a rear wheel drive. Looks like FWD Tranny to me.
The "R" in 10R60 means it's designed for longitudinal/ rear-drive configurations.
And since it's presently being used in rear-drive Explorers...I don't know what you're seeing? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Canā€™t worry about things we canā€™t change.

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Canā€™t worry about things we canā€™t change.
That's the beauty of the world we live in. I can change it! I can still opt to get a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with proven reliability.

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I can still opt to get a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with proven reliability
Do it!

Just an FYI, as a Wrangler owner, Stellantis has proven many things and reliability ainā€™t one of them.

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do it!

Just an FYI, as a Wrangler owner, Stellantis has proven many things and reliability ainā€™t one of them.
I think he should to. Stick it to Ford for the shitty transmission. Damn you Fooorrrrrd!

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iā€™m not sure why everyoneā€™s complaining. There hasnā€™t been one complaint from any of the ride alongs or from the Baja race the other day about sluggishness. The transmission has been great till everyone found out which model it was. Makes no sense. Cmon people.

OP
OP
Bodge Garage

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m not sure why everyoneā€™s complaining. There hasnā€™t been one complaint from any of the ride alongs or from the Baja race the other day about sluggishness. The transmission has been great till everyone found out which model it was. Makes no sense. Cmon people.
My question is more of long term durability not so much shift quality. Not complaining either just looking for more information. I assume the decision was made by people more in the know than any of us so it is likely ok. Besides what else is there to talk about, shades of green, cupholders and fractions of Squatch lift?

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think its more just a sense of disappointment than anything. Many sources, once thought to be reliable, had previously made assertions that it was the 10R80. Which we know to be the beefier of the two, whether the 10R60 is capable of doing the job is somewhat irrelevant. Time will tell if it holds up, but I agree with others that it seems rather cheapish for Ford to have not opted for the stronger unit for their flagship vehicle at release. It's really just about expectations having been set for so long, and later finding out your expectations aren't being met. Not much we can do about it though...

Last edited:

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It's not about how it feels. The 10 spd feels like shit regardless. But now we know we have a weaker trans than expected.

Man Ford really hates us don't they.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My question is more of long term durability not so much shift quality. Not complaining either just looking for more information. I assume the decision was made by people more in the know than any of us so it is likely ok. Besides what else is there to talk about, shades of green, cupholders and fractions of Squatch lift?
Exactly. The 10R60 is unproven and rated at 75% the torque of the 10R80 so I find this news concerning since I'm planning to push the envelope a little. I'm not going to worry about it too much since the Bronco is really just theoretical at this point. :geek:

You really missed the point.
Care to enlighten me?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There's a way around this for all but the FE crowd out there, if you'll nut up (proverbially for the ladies of course) for it.

Of course us three-pedal folks are also waiting for the news that we're being screwed over too. To quote Chris Rock; "that train is never late".

BroncMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs
Your Bronco Model
Base
Exactly. The 10R60 is unproven and rated at 75% the torque of the 10R80 so I find this news concerning since I'm planning to push the envelope a little. I'm not going to worry about it too much since the Bronco is really just theoretical at this point. :geek:

Care to enlighten me?

Sure, let me broncosplain. even though we future owners are paying 5K more than the average new car (me a 4D basequatch) we expect it to be overengineered just like back in '65. For example, um, hold on a sec