We might not be missing much by not getting the coyote

Broncofan2020

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 865rwhp
Basically the first engine I had a bad tune on and when I changed the spark plugs they had piston ring shavings on them and the car just started to run really bad. So I traded it in and had the dealership take all my parts off for free. Then got the 18 and put all the parts on the gen 3 motor along with a laundry list of other supporting parts. It had a P1SC1 procharger on it. The 18 ran amazing until the balancer bolt that procharger supplied broke mid pull and snapped the snout off the crankshaft destroying the entire engine top and bottom. So I pulled all the parts off drained the E85 and sent it off to ford and said idk what happened to it. It only had 2,500 miles on it. They warranted the motor and I sold the car and parts.
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
LOL.. "Only" pushed it to 850 at the wheels and wonders why it blew up.............

kdm_42089

Black Diamond
First Name
Kaleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Continental
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Basically the first engine I had a bad tune on and when I changed the spark plugs they had piston ring shavings on them and the car just started to run really bad. So I traded it in and had the dealership take all my parts off for free. Then got the 18 and put all the parts on the gen 3 motor along with a laundry list of other supporting parts. It had a P1SC1 procharger on it. The 18 ran amazing until the balancer bolt that procharger supplied broke mid pull and snapped the snout off the crankshaft destroying the entire engine top and bottom. So I pulled all the parts off drained the E85 and sent it off to ford and said idk what happened to it. It only had 2,500 miles on it. They warranted the motor and I sold the car and parts.
Once again.... douchebags. (I think I accidentally deleted my last comment, luckily someone quoted it)

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
LOL.. "Only" pushed it to 850 at the wheels and wonders why it blew up.............
I would argue that 850 isn't really pushing it on these Coyotes. A proper F.I. kit with supporting mods (fuel, OPG/Crank Sprocker, spark plugs) with a good tune (sounds like he didn't have one) will hold over 800 on a Gen II Coyote and over 1000 on a Gen III, which is what he had in the '18.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would argue that 850 isn't really pushing it on these Coyotes. A proper F.I. kit with supporting mods (fuel, OPG/Crank Sprocker, spark plugs) with a good tune (sounds like he didn't have one) will hold over 800 on a Gen II Coyote and over 1000 on a Gen III, which is what he had in the '18.
Many have blown up at those levels too, it's a crapshoot at those numbers, as they are on the edge of expecting
really good reliability chances. At least go turbo, so you aren't wasting 130+ HP just to get that 850.

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Many have blown up at those levels too, it's a crapshoot at those numbers, as they are on the edge of expecting
really good reliability chances. At least go turbo, so you aren't wasting 130+ HP just to get that 850.
True they have. Turbo's all day if you are chasing big numbers. But a proper whipple/vmp setup on e85 can make 850 or close to it pretty safely especially on a gen III block. Never really looked into the prochargers/vortechs so don't know how well they make power

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wanted a sports car.. looked at Mustang GT and rented 2019 for a few days, it was nice but realized I am just not a sports car guy.. I need my cars to do too many things.

Then I realized that with the aluminum bodies the F150's are pretty light, so I did some research and found that a RCSB (reg cab short bed) F150 4X2 comes in at around 4k lbs. And can still pull my 3,500lb camp trailer, haul motorbikes in the back, and with the e-locker can go most dirt roads I usually go. Not as capable of course off road as 4x4, but after 20+ years of owning a 4x4 I realized that times I actually used it were getting less and less.. and most of those could have been accomplished with an e-locker and decent tires. So I decided to save 400lbs and $6k to experiment with a 4x2.

I wanted the Coyote 5.0 which in the above configuration would have given me a slightly heavy Mustang with all the other capabilities mentioned. But then I drove a 2.7EB.. dang. Completely surprised me that I liked it much better for around town driving. The Coyote loves to rev and felt to me like an inline 4 sportbike.. a little soft on the bottom but as those revs climb it makes sweet noises and pulls great. But the 2.7EB felt like a v-twin sport bike with torque right off the bottom where I need it 90% of the time. With the potential to add +80HP or so with a tune it was a no-brainer, I went with the 2.7EB. Its an '18 so has the 10-speed trans.

I absolutely love this truck.. it is the ultimate "sleeper". My buddy has a BMW M2 manual trans and we drag race, switching who drives which, and the M2 wins but not by much. And the truck is still bone stock. It doesnt scrape on curbs like his M2 and I take it off-road all the time, have bought 2 motorbikes a few hundred miles away I brought home and pull my camp trailer all over. Does everything I could have hoped.

My point in this overly long post.. sorry about that.. is that I agree. Not having the Coyote.. while a very fine engine, I don't think we miss much. Except the sound.. man it sounds sweet.. but for actual 90% usefullness the 2.7 is my choice.

Broncofan2020

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 865rwhp
I had all of the supporting mods.

once again the supplied Through bolt from procharger is what broke and caused the crank to break.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

……………………………………………………………………...

Then I realized that with the aluminum bodies the F150's are pretty light, so I did some research and found that a RCSB (reg cab short bed) F150 4X2 comes in at around 4k lbs. And can still pull my 3,500lb camp trailer, haul motorbikes in the back, and with the e-locker can go most dirt roads I usually go. Not as capable of course off road as 4x4, but after 20+ years of owning a 4x4 I realized that times I actually used it were getting less and less.. and most of those could have been accomplished with an e-locker and decent tires. So I decided to save 400lbs and $6k to experiment with a 4x2.

I wanted the Coyote 5.0 which in the above configuration would have given me a slightly heavy Mustang with all the other capabilities mentioned. But then I drove a 2.7EB.. dang. Completely surprised me that I liked it much better for around town driving. The Coyote loves to rev and felt to me like an inline 4 sportbike.. a little soft on the bottom but as those revs climb it makes sweet noises and pulls great. But the 2.7EB felt like a v-twin sport bike with torque right off the bottom where I need it 90% of the time. With the potential to add +80HP or so with a tune it was a no-brainer, I went with the 2.7EB. Its an '18 so has the 10-speed trans.

……...……...…...…….........…...

First ………..... I had a friend of mine, in 1987 bought a 2WD F-150 brand new. Of course we all made fun of him for not getting a 4X4 but he said " I
just couldn't afford it right now. Don't worry, I can keep up". And of course as you might know we had to eat crow because he did a mighty fine job ! He was also an experienced driver and that makes a difference. And of course the underside did not go unscathed but we were all impressed with how many places that thing would go. If it would get to bad he would just ride with one of us. No sense in destroying the truck just to prove a point.

Second ......…...……… one word PUSHROD !!!!!! pushrod engines make torque but with no power adder(turbo). To complete the circle Godzilla swap will be common in the Bronco if there is enough room to shoe-horn it in there !!! :)

Damn it, I miss my emojies :rockon:

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I need my cars to do too many things.
Not to include getting around easily in the snow, taking off from a stoplight or merging quick into traffic, in the rain,
even mildy entertaining handling, or braking. So you really didn't want a sports car.

Last edited:

Broncofan2020

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 865rwhp
The first one wasn’t tuned properly. The second one was tuned by the best in the business Rob shoemaker the tune maker haha and it ran amazing.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Coyote in the Bronco would be sweet. The Gen 3 (18+) has great potential with just bolt-on's and a tune. Add boost and the sky is the limit. An 800hp full-size Bronco would be nuts.
Sponsored