redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Coyote in the Bronco would be sweet. The Gen 3 (18+) has great potential with just bolt-on's and a tune. Add boost and the sky is the limit. An 800hp full-size Bronco would be nuts.

Probably won't see the Coyote from the factory. That won't stop someone from shoe-horning one in there or maybe even, dare I say GODZILLA !

If you can V-8 a Wrangler then you can V-8 the new Bronco. ;)
Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably won't see the Coyote from the factory. That won't stop someone from shoe-horning one in there or maybe even, dare I say GODZILLA !

If you can V-8 a Wrangler then you can V-8 the new Bronco. ;)
IF you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not to include getting around easily in the snow, taking off from a stoplight or merging quick into traffic, in the rain,
even mildy entertaining handling, or braking. So you really didn't want a sports car.
After a Utah winter of snow and rain and merging into traffic and stoplights I can say it does all those things great! Modern traction control, locking diff and decent tires are pretty amazing.

Except handling.. it is a truck after all.. but with traction control off it does donuts, which is mildly entertaining

blksn8k

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Bronco 393W/NV3550
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have an '18 F-150 with the Coyote and other than it being a noisy engine at times I have zero complaints. I bought a left-over at the end of '18 but it has all the options I wanted plus. The main things were crew-cab, 4x4, 3.73 gears and E-locker. I pulled my 18 foot enclosed trailer loaded with about 4500 lbs of my sister's furniture and clothing (~8000 lbs total weight) from southern Georgia to central PA last September and it never broke a sweat, even in 101° heat coming through S. Carolina and climbing the mountains on I-81 in Virginia. Awesome powertrain.

Ford Bronco We might not be missing much by not getting the coyote IMG_3199

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would guess it's kind of loud because people can usually tell if I'm accelerating when I'm on bluetooth. But my truck is a 2013, so I don't know if it's the same as the newer 5.0.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My mom thinks I’m speeding anytime I’m on the phone with her in the car lol

blksn8k

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Bronco 393W/NV3550
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
When I said "noisy" I didn't mean loud exhaust. I was referring to all the racket coming from the valvetrain or where ever. I don't think anyone has really pinpointed exactly why the gen 3 Coyote is so noisy but Ford just says it's normal. Doesn't seem to have any effect on performance or durability though. I can't really hear it in the cab but it is a little embarrassing, especially while idling before the engine is up to operating temp.

As far as exhaust sound, I did install a Magnaflow dual side exit exhaust system along with a Magnaflow straight through resonator which, by the way, made surprisingly little or no difference in sound volume or quality over the system without the resonator. I eventually modified that to make it into an "active" exhaust by installing an electric flapper valve in one of the outlet pipes. With the push of a button on the remote control I can go from reasonably quiet to all the hell-raising noise I want.

blksn8k

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Bronco 393W/NV3550
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's not actually a dump valve. All I did was close off one of the two outlet or "tailpipes" that exit the back of the Magnaflow Muffler. The exhaust still has to go through the muffler regardless of whether the valve is open or not. When the valve is open, both tailpipes are being used. When the valve is closed, only one tailpipe is used. It really does reduce the sound level as well as reduce the drone at around 2000 RPM.

I think it's actually a combination of things. You are correct that some of it is coming from the injectors since there are sixteen of them on the gen 3 now that it has both port and direct injection. The gen 3 also went to PTWA which is a sprayed on cylinder liner in lieu of a steel cylinder sleeve as on the previous gen Coyote's. Add in the bump from 11:1 to 12:1 compression ratio and I think you are getting less sound deadening and more noise transfer through those thinner liners in the aluminum block. Some people also claim the cam phasers rattle as well. That complaint is also common on the 3.5L EB. The cam phaser theory has some merit since the Coyote does use a variable displacement oil pump and because the cam phasers operate on oil pressure there could be insufficient oil pressure at low RPM's to cushion the action of the phasers. Lots of theories and Ford just says "It's normal".

I actually installed a Mustang GT engine cover on my truck in the hopes that it would quiet down the injector noise. I even added Dynaliner on the underside. To be honest, it didn't make much difference at all but it does look a little better than stock.

Ford Bronco We might not be missing much by not getting the coyote IMG_3381

Here's a comparison of the stock exhaust and the modified Magnaflow system.
Ford Bronco We might not be missing much by not getting the coyote IMG_2898

Here's the system installed on the truck with a stone shield.
Ford Bronco We might not be missing much by not getting the coyote IMG_2908

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Or DI pump (so the dealers say) . My fusion is super noisy (whiney) on cold engine,
but can't hear it from inside at all.
Sponsored