Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Jaguar F-TYPE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still not sure why dual top orders (me) can’t be filled with soft tops initially, then when MIC tops are more readily available Ford then could fully fulfill those orders.

That actually would make sense. But i wonder if there is some VIN number thing in their manufacturing that makes them all tied together when making them. So if it made on own its technically an aftermarket part?
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

WTF? If Web-kick me in the face-asto can’t find workers then PAY THEM MORE!!
That is actually an original Henry Ford idea.

There is a false qoute that goes around saying Ford paid his workers more than the competitors because "we need them to buy our products".
When I looked it up, it could not be confirmed by any one.

What could be confirmed was, all the other car makers around Michigan were PISSED at Ford because he was stealing their workers, which was his intent, to attract the best workers so that his plants would be as efficent as possible.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2-door Badlands reservation. I read through these forums everyday and it is still unclear to me why Ford does not allow us 2-door reservation/order holders to option out of the MIC hardtop to a soft-top. Just like the 4-door reservation/order holders got to do. Does anyone know why Ford is not allowing that same freedom for us 2-door folks?
My question also. ?? Coyote
Perhaps because no soft top exists for the 2-door?
I get that a lot of the 2-door folks wish it was an option (and why it was never offered is a valid issue), but not like it's going to suddenly materialize and go into mass production quick enough to make a difference right now. (And if it did, I doubt it would be something you would want.)

To all those complaining that Ford should just drop Webasto, there have been rumors that they have threatened to do just that. So far that hasn't happened, because switching to a new supplier would invariably delay things even more. (Setting up a contract, production lines, training workers, QC, etc. doesn't happen overnight.)

As to the possibility of a second factory, my guess is that possibility was probably floated back when Ford and Webasto first got together and set up the first factory. If the Bronco becomes popular enough, it might warrant a second location to keep up with demand. But I would think that possibility would have been thinking at least 2-3 years after launch. Certainly not any time soon with the existing factory not producing up to par and Webasto's contract hanging by a thread.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't found any solid info on it, but have heard grumblings that 2-doors can't be sold with factory soft top (just like Wrangler) due to some federal regs. The soft tops are an aftermarket thing.
Not sure if you're kidding, but soft tops are standard on Jeep Wrangler.

Sponsored

Coyote

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer, + M.Benz
Your Bronco Model
Base
Perhaps because no soft top exists for the 2-door?
I get that a lot of the 2-door folks wish it was an option (and why it was never offered is a valid issue), but not like it's going to suddenly materialize and go into mass production quick enough to make a difference right now. (And if it did, I doubt it would be something you would want.)

To all those complaining that Ford should just drop Webasto, there have been rumors that they have threatened to do just that. So far that hasn't happened, because switching to a new supplier would invariably delay things even more. (Setting up a contract, production lines, training workers, QC, etc. doesn't happen overnight.)

As to the possibility of a second factory, my guess is that possibility was probably floated back when Ford and Webasto first got together and set up the first factory. If the Bronco becomes popular enough, it might warrant a second location to keep up with demand. But I would think that possibility would have been thinking at least 2-3 years after launch. Certainly not any time soon with the existing factory not producing up to par and Webasto's contract hanging by a thread.

Reply;
Except that a Soft Does does exist for the 2 Door.
But, Only the 4 Door has a conversion kid by FORD,

Just want to know why the kit is not available .

Brocked

Wildtrak
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So to the best of my knowledge / reading, the soft top conversion is ONLY offered on the 4 door model. can anyone confirm,
Yes, 2 Door and ALL Wildtrak Models 2 and 4 doors are Hard top only.

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2-door Badlands reservation. I read through these forums everyday and it is still unclear to me why Ford does not allow us 2-door reservation/order holders to option out of the MIC hardtop to a soft-top. Just like the 4-door reservation/order holders got to do. Does anyone know why Ford is not allowing that same freedom for us 2-door folks?
I don’t think Ford has a factory 2 door soft top, just ones with partners that they have limited control over since they’re accessories. Just a guess though.

gwiacek

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford flex awd ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
lol, that explains the 2023 date for MIC tops. if all the tooling is overseas, combined with the new machines they will need for the second plant, and all the long lead times on anything you order now. i'm guessing if webasto has the plant running by the end of next year they will be lucky. then add the employee shortage problem to that

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Not sure if you're kidding, but soft tops are standard on Jeep Wrangler.
There were enough qualifiers in there. NHTSA regs are sometimes crazy.

For example, there's a ratio of how much of the width of the rear of a vehicle can have lights, which was the cause for Lincoln's light bars to have "dead" led spaces near the tailgate.

And some options you can use B&P to source, must still be installed at the dealership as they can't leave the factory with it. Regs are everywhere....

Ukon

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How long do you think it would take for another company to design the top, test it, and then put together the tooling to make the top and then setup an organization and build a factory and hire the workers to provide the tops to Ford? How much of an investment would be needed do you think?
It could likely be done as contract work with other manufacturers hired to make tops to Webasto’s specs.

The Frisco Kid

Black Diamond
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 F-250, 2015 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A couple observations/thoughts I take from this article:

1. Ford projected that 80% of buyers would get hard tops. When problems with Webasto came up, Ford strongly suggested order holders to switch to soft tops. Which looks to be about 20% of order holders did.
2. Webasto is still struggling to build 60% of the rest of the projected hard top orders.
3. What percentage of hard tops being built are 2 door vs. 4 door? 60/40 or 40/60? I know There’s a higher percent of 4 doors being built by the forum’s order spreadsheet and graphs. But seeing 2 doors currently only have one top option, would that mean they would be take priority over 4 door tops?

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There were enough qualifiers in there. NHTSA regs are sometimes crazy.

For example, there's a ratio of how much of the width of the rear of a vehicle can have lights, which was the cause for Lincoln's light bars to have "dead" led spaces near the tailgate.

And some options you can use B&P to source, must still be installed at the dealership as they can't leave the factory with it. Regs are everywhere....
Gotcha, I understand what you're saying. Just clarifying that 2D Wranglers come with a soft top as standard.
Sponsored