Sponsored

Weight limit / size limit on the factory spare tire carrier?

Broncridin

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Does anyone know the weight limit and or size limit on the spare tire carrier that comes on the Bronco? I have a First Edition on order and plan on up sizing to 37 Maxxis Razr MT so I'm not sure if I will need to invest in a heavy duty tire carrier. I haven't even seen a heavy duty tire carrier for the Bronco yet so hopefully it isnā€™t needed. I am having the dealer install a 2in lift and trade in the 35's for 37's so I wondering about my spare and if a heavy duty carrier is needed will they even be out by then.
Sponsored

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure about that, but I do remember there being some limit on the size of the tire that would be able to still have the brake light visible, which could be an insurance/ticket issue, I would think. Don't think there was any 'extender' for that - at least at that point.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If itā€™s anything like Jeep, we wont know what the practical limit is for weight until owners start reporting back that the pinch welds failed after they hung a certain size tire off the back. Ford could state a weight limit for the carrier, but the fact they havenā€™t by now makes me think they wont ever. (Though, the Bronco coming with 35s from the factory is a good sign.)

As far as the brake lightā€¦ I believe the recent Town and Country video showed the 37ā€ tire interfering with the CHMSLā€¦ but again, like Jeep, there will surely be aftermarket extenders or relocation brackets available.

I guess all that is to say, we donā€˜t actually know yet.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How long you plan on owning it? Iā€™ll be going bumper mounted tire carrier for long term durability. I doubt the rear gate and hinges will hold up to 10 years use on the trail with a heavy spare mounted on it.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The reality is hanging a 100+ pounds on a hinge attached to sheet metal long term durability is not good. I will be going aftermarket with a bumper mounted version. I did the same on my FJ. Expy-1 make a great setup that opened and closed with the rear door. Betting they will do the same with the Bronco.

Sponsored

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I thought you were gonna flip yours when it came in? Why put money into it?

OP
OP
Broncridin

Broncridin

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm going to drive it for awhile. Why are you concerned about it?

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone know the weight limit and or size limit on the spare tire carrier that comes on the Bronco? I have a First Edition on order and plan on up sizing to 37 Maxxis Razr MT so I'm not sure if I will need to invest in a heavy duty tire carrier. I haven't even seen a heavy duty tire carrier for the Bronco yet so hopefully it isnā€™t needed. I am having the dealer install a 2in lift and trade in the 35's for 37's so I wondering about my spare and if a heavy duty carrier is needed will they even be out by then.
Put 44s on it. Youā€™ll be good to go

Maineah

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was hoping to find this out as well. Not planning on upgrading the spare but need extra storage and thinking about a spare-top carrier. Basically, exactly like the pick below. Wondering how much weight, in addition to the spare, I would be safe with. Anyone have any realistic numbers, guesses yet?
Ford Bronco Weight limit / size limit on the factory spare tire carrier? mass-spare-tire-platform-2

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

133Lbs

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have 37" KO2s on now and waiting the tire carrier bumper. They are coming...

Stlrfan152

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75C5 16Prius 2dr base sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you're mounting 37s try and see if the raptor has any reinforcement

Richw23

Base
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you're mounting 37s try and see if the raptor has any reinforcement
Yes it does have a tailgate reinforcement on the raptor. Rough country makes a pretty solid version for around $120 and it is the one i ordered. Waiting on that, my 37s, and my rtr tech 6 wheels. Everything takes forever nowadays

Richw23

Base
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was hoping to find this out as well. Not planning on upgrading the spare but need extra storage and thinking about a spare-top carrier. Basically, exactly like the pick below. Wondering how much weight, in addition to the spare, I would be safe with. Anyone have any realistic numbers, guesses yet?
Ford Bronco Weight limit / size limit on the factory spare tire carrier? mass-spare-tire-platform-2
I think its funny people are worried about a 37ā€œ spare yet there is at least 25lbs of gear on that tire empty. Lol. There is a tailgate reinforcement on the raptor.
Sponsored