Sponsored

Weight of modular top the reason for availability delay ?

broncoSJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i just read on another thread that the modular top is 50% heavier than the MIC. makes me wonder if Ford is holding off on the modular top while they try to solve the GVWR problem. If you can’t add a roof rack on B&P because of weight, you certainly can’t add a heavier modular roof. maybe they are trying to cut weight before selling the modular option.....?
Sponsored

stumpm2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Bronco, 2012 F350, 2019 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think it is purely a supply issue from the roof manufacturer. Manufacturer told Ford we can make 100 MIC roofs or we can make you 30 MIC roofs and 20 black roofs for a total of 50 roofs or something like that. Ford decided to just offer the MIC roofs initially to get orders filled faster.

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My understanding is that they were to be made by Webasto at a new facility in Plymouth MI that was supposed to be up and running by November/December, but construction has been delayed.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding is that they were to be made by Webasto at a new facility in Plymouth MI that was supposed to be up and running by November/December, but construction has been delayed.
That is also what I recall

OP
OP
broncoSJ

broncoSJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

that sounds ominous for those planning to wait...

Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

that sounds ominous for those planning to wait...
Eh. At this point, I'd be happy with one of the last '21s or first '22s. I'm not dead set on having to have the "first". I'd rather have what I want rather than compromise.

stumpm2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Bronco, 2012 F350, 2019 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Bingo. The facility delay has reduced the amount of roofs that can be produced prior to the start of Bronco delivery. The painted roofs take longer to produce than the MIC roofs so they were delayed in order to produce more MIC roofs in this shortened window.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Looks like Webasto is still hiring for management positions for that location most likely for Bronco.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Again, something you would think such a large company that focuses on being "best in class" in their other vehicles would have thought of before rolling out all the 17 different trims, packages, top options to the public. Maybe it was the same group of engineers/designers that gave us the FE interior and the winch blocking the grill camera? Obviously they designed the winch mount and were test fitting it on a base model or model without the 360 cameras, then when it came time to put onto a bronco with the grill camera, it was a "oh crap" moment. So I'm thinking they encounter the gvwr problem until they started playing with a BL or higher trim w/ the 2.7 and additional addons.

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Looks like Webasto is still hiring for management positions for that location most likely for Bronco.
That’s scary, new guy on the job in charge of making my roof lol
Sponsored