Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I went into my local discount tire store today and decided to purchase my set of 35” Nitto trail grapplers and fuel covert wheels. After ordering the tires the rep at discount got on the phone to see availability for the fuel covert wheels. The size I was going to get was 17x9 in a -12 offset. The discount tire rep told that the offset wasn’t super aggressive so it wouldn’t poke the wheel out too much. After being on the phone the fuel wheel rep told him that those wouldn’t fit because of the offset and that I would need to get a more negative offset because of the wheels possibly rubbing on the suspension. He said to get like -20 instead. Tell me how that makes any sense to get that aggressive when the bronco Sasquatch is running +35??? They said they were basing it off the ranger suspension and we all know that’s not that same thing as bronco. Anyone else hear anything else like this or had problems with getting wheels yet?
Compared to a Sasquatch, the tire on a -12mm wheel will stick out 1.65" more.
Ford Bronco Weird info from ordering my wheels and tires Screenshot_20210413-094331_Chrome
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Compared to a regular Badlands the -12 wheel and 315/70 tire will stick out a whopping 3.24".
Ford Bronco Weird info from ordering my wheels and tires Screenshot_20210413-094848_Chrome

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Weird info from ordering my wheels and tires Screenshot_20210413-095307_Chrome

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You said it! The vast majority of wheels are cheap and made for multiple applications >> The overwhelming vast majority of wheels, even some high quality ones are overbored and use centering rings shimmed down to the correct size.

You can buy wheels that are made for multiple applications if you wish but why not spend a little bit more to get a wheel that was made for your vehicle?

I run Titan7s on my Raptor. Forged, super light and strong with the correct hub bore. BTW .... Bronco application coming soon.

Ford Bronco Weird info from ordering my wheels and tires 1618325718085

Ford Bronco Weird info from ordering my wheels and tires 1618325790768

Ford Bronco Weird info from ordering my wheels and tires 1618325816001

Why would one hate themselves over that?

The overwhelming vast majority of wheels, even some high quality ones are overbored and use centering rings shimmed down to the correct size.

Every aftermarket wheel I've used has had them, from the cheapos to the BBS's.

I don't see an issue.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems everyone else is talking about fender/ crash bar rub... but the OP said the issue was suspension rub, so that specific wheel had to push out another 8mm. If that’s not the case, just ignore my previous comment (and beautiful diagram) . But, with the factory wheels having up to +55 offset without rubbing the “suspension”, I’m still thinking it’s a matter of wheel cross section. This is just assuming the fuel folks know what their wheels measure though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CDawg297!

CDawg297!

Badlands
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems everyone else is talking about fender/ crash bar rub... but the OP said the issue was suspension rub, so that specific wheel had to push out another 8mm. If that’s not the case, just ignore my previous comment (and beautiful diagram) . But, with the factory wheels having up to +55 offset without rubbing the “suspension”, I’m still thinking it’s a matter of wheel cross section. This is just assuming the fuel folks know what their wheels measure though.
yeah thats what the rep said to me when i was ordering. the problem though is they are basing everything on the ranger platform and idk if that makes much sense to do that. I know the bronco is built on that but the suspension is totally different with IFS compared to solid axle

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ranger is IFS also... I’m pretty sure

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Since they’re telling you the issue has to do with rubbing the suspension, it could be just the design of that wheel. Instead of having a outward tapered barrel, it could be that it is a straighter one with a smaller diameter at the inside bead. Note, they are only suggesting an extra 8mm of offset, so it probably only rubs the suspension at maximum travel. All of this is speculation of course, but with different wheels having different dimensions, there’s more to it than just offset. This is a rough sketch, so don’t laugh, lol.
Ford Bronco Weird info from ordering my wheels and tires 1618325816001
...never thought of that...interesting.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yeah thats what the rep said to me when i was ordering. the problem though is they are basing everything on the ranger platform and idk if that makes much sense to do that. I know the bronco is built on that but the suspension is totally different with IFS compared to solid axle
It's a little muddy, but basically Bronco is built on the next-gen Ranger. Not the current ranger.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good call.

For what it's worth, the 315 width tire on the Sas requires the +30mm offset to clear the UCA. (it seems that the 285 on a +55 is actually slightly closer than the 315 on the +30)

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-close-to-max-size-after-ranger-testing.9432/

Sponsored

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sasquatch wheels are 17x8.5 with +30 offset, which means 5.93” of backspacing.

Your fuel wheels at 17x9 with -12 offset should have 4.53” of backspacing so you should be fine.
Can you explain to me how you figure this out please? It's all so confusing.

OP
OP
CDawg297!

CDawg297!

Badlands
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a little muddy, but basically Bronco is built on the next-gen Ranger. Not the current ranger.
That makes more sense because i was super confused. i have a 2019 Ranger and was like why wouldnt it fit if its the same bolt pattern. I mean i have a negative offset on my truck right now and have zero problems with it.

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are correct on the Overland. I emailed Fifteen 52 to confirm. Also one of those Easter Safari videos had I think 4WP mention too much offset would cause fender rub.

So 0 is as far out as I would go, but something between 0 and closer to +30 is the sweet spot.
Didn't they say that these ones rub.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wheel size is to the bead (inner part of the lip) offset is from the centerline of the wheel... but backspacing is for the overall of the wheel (generally 1” larger than the bead measurement)

So an 8” wheel really measures 9” overall and thus 0 offset is 4.5 (not 4)... so then add or subtract offset converted from millimeters to that number... 25.4 mm per inch for reference
Sponsored