First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A friend of mine received his 4DR MIC top about a month ago and has already been contacted by his (our) dealer about swapping out his "faulty" MIC top for MIC 2.0. Does anyone know what happens to his old top? Can I buy/have it for my BD that I switched to a soft top? I can live with any and all of the issues that the bad tops have had until an aftermarket provider starts selling a hard top. Anyone know? @Zach@Granger?
Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

like anything else:

if the salvage cost (shipping, breakdown, etc.) is lower then new then they will savage.

otherwise destroy, you don't want faulty mic in the wild. looks bad for the brand and a warranty tracking nightmare.

Zach@Granger

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
grangerfordextendedwarranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A friend of mine received his 4DR MIC top about a month ago and has already been contacted by his (our) dealer about swapping out his "faulty" MIC top for MIC 2.0. Does anyone know what happens to his old top? Can I buy/have it for my BD that I switched to a soft top? I can live with any and all of the issues that the bad tops have had until an aftermarket provider starts selling a hard top. Anyone know? @Zach@Granger?
I'm sure we'll need to return the old ones to Ford.

Sponsored

Sean492

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Ford Mustang Boss 302 and 2011 Ford F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since the hardtops were structurally sound, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't going to be recycled and had the finish re-applied.

OP
OP

JDHNRV

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the quick (and consistent) responses!

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think in the case of a repair there are consumer regulations about the customer requesting the replaced part - I do not think that situation applies as this is a warranty/recall. Probably goi g to be a lot of MIC tops in dumps with big holes drilled in them. 🥲

Sponsored

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the quick (and consistent) responses!
What do you want them to say. No one really knows. I agree that they don’t want bad product out there on the market though.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since the hardtops were structurally sound, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't going to be recycled and had the finish re-applied.
Doubtful.
Officially, Ford says the issues are cosmetic, but there's every indication that, over time, those cosmetic issues would likely have impacted the structure. (That honeycomb getting wet could be very problematic.)
I also remember some info indicating that the edges that were just sealed with MIC 1.0 are actually rolled with 2.0, so the difference is not just the finish.

Sounds like they are re-using whatever they can and then destroying the rest. Still curious if they're going to have dealers do it, or ship back to Ford.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not a chance this is going to happen. The issues are not a finish that is applied but fundamental to the construction of the top. They will be destroyed by the dealer or shipped back so that Ford can verify none are in the wild...and then destroyed.

MattyAg

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not a chance this is going to happen. The issues are not a finish that is applied but fundamental to the construction of the top. They will be destroyed by the dealer or shipped back so that Ford can verify none are in the wild...and then destroyed.
I just want to point out that all we heard for months that getting a hardtop after you take delivery of a soft top would be so cost prohibitive due to shipping that FORD would never consider it. Now they will be shipping new tops one way and then maybe shipping the old tops back. So I guess it won't be hard at all to get a hardtop once production gets moving at a better pace...
Sponsored