Sponsored

Weird tinny tail gate creaks? Made new extended bump stops!

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

**UPDATE**

Ok so I drove to the hardware store without the wheel on. Tin sounding click totally gone.... So I got some supplies and made some bumpstops extensions. 7 bucks and about 20 mins. Doing up a little video of what I did and how well it worked. I'll post it here when I'm done editing!
Nice job! This is what the tech forum is for!

Win or lose it is passed along knowledge.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SnowBronco

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
SnowBronco

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep. You should get new bump stops ASAP
Made some bump stop extenders as shown in the video I updated with! Got rid of most of the sound. Think I need to tweak them a little bit. They might be a tad tight. I'm thinking there is going to be a length where it hits perfect balance lol
Good job. I'm not sure if they will fit the Bronco but on my JK I used these.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GH1OPG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_NJFQTA9FQC7NKFQ3JZ1N
Yeah I was looking at those, then when I got the factory ones off the tailgate I had the idea that we could easily make our own removable ones! I'll probably put my stock wheels back on for winter. So this is an easy switch!

LordElberon

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Has anyone yet had a tin sounding ticking sound coming from the back? I don't recall hearing it on the first couple drives... So after looking under the panels for a cable ticking somewhere I started messing with, shaking everything. No luck... Throught back to when I first started hearing the sound and it was right after I switched my spare to my zero offset spare in the back. Now the rubber bumper stoppers do not touch the tire. So I started gently wiggling them lately and was getting a very similar sound... they need to be 3.5" long... The are only just under 2"... Anyone know where to get longer ones? There's no real way to tighten these up. But they are easy to get out... Just wind out the plastic screw. Anyhow, I'll update in the morning when I drive to work to make sure this was it... Just incase others have gotten this sound!
PSX_20210822_071945.jpg

****Update****
Here's my fix video!

OH thanks! I have been searching for this noise all week. I narrowed it down to t he spare tire but could not figure it out!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
SnowBronco

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So my tire already hits the bump stops but it still creeks!

Ford Bronco Weird tinny tail gate creaks? Made new extended bump stops! PXL_20210921_113631191.MP
Hmmm.. try taking the spare off. Going for a drive. And check all the mount assembly bolts to make sure they are tight. Also turn the bump stops. They aren't very sturdy.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thanks man! Here it is.

Ok, nice quick and easy solution, but—since you are in Canada—I am disappointed that you didn’t use the hockey puck method.

OP
OP
SnowBronco

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, nice quick and easy solution, but—since you are in Canada—I am disappointed that you didn’t use the hockey puck method.
Haha... I did look at it... But this was way easier. Work smarter not harder lol

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Haha... I did look at it... But this was way easier. Work smarter not harder lol
Yeah - there surely will be replacement longer bumpers soon. Simple is good!

Sponsored

LordElberon

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hmmm.. try taking the spare off. Going for a drive. And check all the mount assembly bolts to make sure they are tight. Also turn the bump stops. They aren't very sturdy.
I'm determined to figure this out. I took off the spare and the mount to the tailgate. I put never seize on the bolts and put them back in. I tried @SnowBronco 's wooden dowel with chair stops trick tonight. Noting has gotten rid of it. I think next going to try after market stops.

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BroBronco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just noticed the same annoying little ticking sound from road vibration coming from my rear as well. I have 37 inch spare but its also mounted on the bigger 4WP tire holder with bigger bumpstops. I have soft top as well. My wife and I plan to work on this soon, one driving while the other (me) sits in back. Top down or radio on its not an issue. Otherwise it can get rather annoying. Whoever solves this mystery first gets a picture of a cold six pack!! Hahaha

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have the same issue but with normal Sasquatch package, so it can’t be an issue with length of the stops for me
Sponsored