Sponsored

We're going on a ski trip in California this winter. Caltrans says I need to have tire chains on board. Can anyone suggest some?

Murgatroyd

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base 4-door 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 4-door base with Big Bend wheels and tires, so tires are 255/75/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T. Thanks in advance! Don't know that I need the chains but I'd like to have them already. They get marked up a lot if you have to buy them up on the mountain.
Sponsored

wade65

Badlands
First Name
Wade Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 1965 Mercury Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Buy them on Amazon a few weeks before your trip. If you end up not needing them, you return them. As long as they are unused and within 30 days (I think), you are good.

MJBbase22

Base
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo Sider, VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Any brand from your local NAPA or whatever auto parts store. You won't need them but they might ask to see them. I leave mine in the bag in the back when I go up-don't even think they are the right tire size since I changed my wheels.

Separately, as some wheeler's will confirm, actual chains are a useful recovery item in your arsenal for big mud or snow, so maybe not a bad expense if that's your thing.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last time I saw a requirement for chains, All Season tires were an acceptable alternative. Then again, I’ve lived in Houston the last 35 years, so what do I know. Did do the Bridgestone Winter Driving School in Steamboat Springs about 8 years ago. No chains there….

Sponsored

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Honest advice, if you're going into one of the chain control areas you should be running proper snow tires as well.

Reactions: JML

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't have recommendations on a particular set, but my advice is to completely avoid the "new style" snow chains that incorporate any plastic.

Ford Bronco We're going on a ski trip in California this winter. Caltrans says I need to have tire chains on board. Can anyone suggest some? 1663697272503

There are a thousand variations, but they mostly follow this concept.

My buddy and I were out winter camping in a few feet of snow and had to use the only tire chains he had - Amazons recommended. Half plastic, half metal. Short story long, we ended up with a stuck vehicle overnight in temps well below freezing as the tire chain broke and shredded the tire.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not sure about up north. But here is the deal for So-Cal mountains.

When I was a kid, they would regularly check chains and tires when there was snowy weather or a storm was coming.

Now they may check sometimes but the only time I have really seen it enforced is when there is a big storm on its way and they don't want idiots getting stranded up the hill without a way to get back down.

The way locals do it is to get the cheapest chains you can possibly find (literally, does not need to fit your tires) and put the box (can just be an empty box) by the back window. CHP will just shine a light and confirm the chains are there. They won't have you put them on.

Also, I would never actually put chains (or even cables) on the Bronco.

805Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 EB FSB Bronco; 2021 Outer Banks 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Although I don't know CHP's policy when it comes to chain areas, every time I've driven to Mammoth or Tahoe with snow on the roadway, CHP has looked at my A/T tires and just said "You've got All-Terrain tires - you are okay to pass". I'm not at all sure if that is their policy or an anomaly.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Although I don't know CHP's policy when it comes to chain areas, every time I've driven to Mammoth or Tahoe with snow on the roadway, CHP has looked at my A/T tires and just said "You've got All-Terrain tires - you are okay to pass". I'm not at all sure if that is their policy or an anomaly.
This is what happened to my group when I travelled to mammoth years back. I believe they also require 4wd or AWD, obviously not a problem with a bronco.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is fairly typical I think. I'd look up the actual law before spending the money. Sometimes it will read "required unless traction tires are used" or similar verbiage.

805Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 EB FSB Bronco; 2021 Outer Banks 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is what happened to my group when I travelled to mammoth years back. I believe they also require 4wd or AWD, obviously not a problem with a bronco.
I was in my '92 FSB each time, so yes... tires and a Bronco were parts of the equation :)

Reactions: Jdc

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve lived in Reno for 45 years and I’ve never heard of a chain requirement for 4WD vehicles in the Sierras. If you’ve got a 4WD vehicle with snow tires you’re good as long as the road is open. When it gets really bad the requirement is either chains mandatory for 2wd vehicles or 4WD with snow tires. The next step is closure. I don’t know of any all terrain tires that aren’t also rated as snow tires. They also don’t look at you hard is you’re in a 4WD vehicle.

Hoser!!

Big Bend
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT convertible, 2014 ML350, 328i
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I signed something at ford during purchase that you shouldn’t use chains. Use cable only.
Sponsored