Sponsored

What’s been your experience buying a car in another state?

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
I’ve never done it but looks like that will happen for me. Didn’t know if anyone had any experience or tips to share for everyone.

cheers!
Sponsored

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My experience was fairly painless. I live near a state border and purchased in a neighboring state a few miles away. Get your paperwork, go home, get inspection if used, get insurance, go to the DMV and pay sales and property tax, get tag and you are good to go.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Indiana requires the local LEO to do an in person VIN check.
The dealership folks have always had the taxes worked out, one way or another.
I won't hesitate to do it again.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Indiana requires the local LEO to do an in person VIN check.
The dealership folks have always had the taxes worked out, one way or another.
I won't hesitate to do it again.
Same thing here in Colorado when it comes to the VIN as far as i know.

Rebel Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve done it twice, for used cars. Fly in, drive home on temp. tags. Register and pay tax at the DMV near my home. No problems whatsoever.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Even though I'm in SC, I'm pretty close to the Georgia state line with Savannah being the closest big town to me so I've bought my last 3 new cars there with no issue. Have driven to Atlanta as well to buy a used car, same experience, dealer will give you all the documentation and you just take it to your local DMV.

Also have bought online and had shipped across multiple States before, no issues either but once again from a dealer with everything either mailed to me or in the car to take to the DMV.

I'll be flying in and driving home with the Bronco from Granger and am not worried about the process at all. Only tip is to make sure you have all your documents when you show up.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought my last (although hopefully not my last) motorcycle in an adjoining State about 60 miles from my border, they had enough sales in my State to be all set up to collect taxes, even had my State's plates on hand to get me set up there. I think it is pretty common, especially if they have internet sales and do a large volume. Other than that, in Illinois at least, I just will go to the DMV website, download the forms I need the dealer to fill out (or do it at the dealership), tax and transfer type stuff, then when I drive home, go to the DMV locally and pay the exorbitant tax due on my purchase, plus plates and then go home, remove whatever BS dealer nameplate frame is on there even though I tell them it is going in the trash and not to waste their time and money installing it, and plate it up.

Short version; go to your State DMV, read the convoluted instructions for buying out of State (quit after reading them three times because it is just getting more confusing) and then follow the directions. Don't forget to call your insurance company to begin coverage before you leave the dealers lot.

edit; remove the sticker(s) from the windows, any small town that needs ticket revenue might pull you over and ticket you for not having a proof of insurance card even though you have insurance (see short version)

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've done it once, as others have said, no issues. Buy it and bring it home, go to DMV and pay tax and get permanent plates. I added insurance before bringing it home.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve never done it but looks like that will happen for me. Didn’t know if anyone had any experience or tips to share for everyone.

cheers!
I bought two new 4Dr Wrangler Rubicons sight unseen from dealers in different states. Both times I did paperwork through email and wired funds. I had a shipping company pick up each vehicle (CA, PA) and the dealer gave them the keys and certificate of origin. The Jeeps were delivered to me and I registered and paid tax at the DMV. Once in TX, once in MA. It is relatively simple and painless.

pitter_patter

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm military and have bought both used private party and new from the dealer. It's not that complicated. In my case I've never even taken the vehicles to the state I have them registered in and did everything by mail.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've done it myself, and it was EZPZ. The hardest part is standing in line at your local DMV office. BTW, just make sure all of your paperwork is there. You know how friendly those DMV folks can be. :)

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No issues. Honestly the biggest pain in my ass was dealing with my local DMV. The whole experience was probably made worse due to all sorts of covid related service issues at the DMV in general as it was last October. I got a plate fairly quickly, but I actually wasn't able to get the title approved until halfway into January.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My experience was fairly painless. I live near a state border and purchased in a neighboring state a few miles away. Get your paperwork, go home, get inspection if used, get insurance, go to the DMV and pay sales and property tax, get tag and you are good to go.
Interesting

My out of state dealer implied that I pay my local taxes through him. But you're stating that it's paid when I bring the vehicle back home.

Is it case by case basis? Doesn't matter to me either way

Casual Pork

Black Diamond
First Name
Cardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Two prior experiences, that have been memorable.

- My 12 year old first-born son & I flew to Cleveland and returned home in a Honda Pilot. Net savings $2300
- Ordered a BMW; my wife and youngest son picked it up at the Welt in Munich. Visited with my wife's family in Northern & Southern Italy, putting 1300 miles on it across Europe. Saved 12% off sticker and about a grand in overseas car rental fees.

Next trip will be from Danville WV returning home. Hoping our middle-son can get off work to accompany my wife and I. Estimating the net savings to be around $2900. John placed my order for a 2021 BD.
Sponsored