Sponsored

What’s been your experience buying a car in another state?

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I bought my BMW from a dealer in atlanta and they did a fantastic job of getting the paperwork right and even dealing with the out of state taxes and other BS for me.

...until they didn't, and I had a sales tax bill that was wrong, and registration that couldn't get done because they fucked up the lien holder info.

My only 'advice' would be to find a good local title place with people that you can ask lots of questions of, and pick their brains on how to get it right.
Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting

My out of state dealer implied that I pay my local taxes through him. But you're stating that it's paid when I bring the vehicle back home.

Is it case by case basis? Doesn't matter to me either way
If you are financing with the dealer, I believe they are required to pay the tax to your state/county as part of that deal per Federal law.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you are financing with the dealer, I believe they are required to pay the tax to your state/county as part of that deal per Federal law.
Ah, that makes sense. Guess they're assuming I'm financing through them. I'm getting my own

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Neighboring state is easy they can often handle all the paperwork for you even. Further away more is on you but still not onerous.

One thing to note, not sure anyone mentioned but your dealer should discount you the fee for the inspection in your home state e.g. last time I bought a car in NJ they gave me $90 (or thereabouts) to cover the inspection when I got the car home to PA.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Since AZ lets us do the temp tags online, I'm optimistic that I can do all of that at Granger. I was hoping a couple of Zonies will pick up at Granger before me so we will already know how it goes.

I feel bad for people who live in states that still have inspections and other nonsense they need to do at the MVD. Between the "lifetime license" and online registration, I haven't set foot in the MVD for years (although I do have to get the new "real i.d." before I can fly to Iowa).

Sponsored

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold 😥), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Indiana requires the local LEO to do an in person VIN check.
The dealership folks have always had the taxes worked out, one way or another.
I won't hesitate to do it again.
The BMV can also do them, but they refuse to. It says it right on the paperwork. Pisses me off lol

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve never done it but looks like that will happen for me. Didn’t know if anyone had any experience or tips to share for everyone.

cheers!
It was good. Bought a new '99 C5 Corvette when C5's were still relatively new and in high(er) demand and no local dealers were budging on price (we sell at MSRP and you're lucky to get it for that, if we can even get one). Using corvetteforum for some research reached out to some dealers and found one down near N.O. that was willing to deal. Sent him desired config and what I wanted to pay and he responded back with a fair counter offer and we agreed on a deal. I wanted a very specific build that was an ordered car and not off the lot so placed the order in early '99. Later on got the notice that it was scheduled for delivery in late May so booked a one-way down to the Big Easy for the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and the dealer picked me up at Louis Armstrong and took me back to the dealership. Car was sitting, roped off, in the middle of the showroom and paperwork was ready and waiting to be signed. No last minute surprises, everything was done eazy-peazy and then a thorough walk-through of the vehicle's features. Got in the car, they opened the double doors and I drove out and home to Chicago.

The one hitch was that they told me they could handle the taxes/registration for me. Over a month later I got mail that had a check made out to me for the amount of the taxes that they were supposed to pay to Illinois/Cook County/Chicago on my behalf. Since we only have 30 days to register not only did I have to go down and do it in person (no biggie, it's walking distance from my office - back when we went into offices) but I owed late fee penalties. Going forward I'd plan on doing all the local tax/registration paperwork myself to avoid that happening again.

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting

My out of state dealer implied that I pay my local taxes through him. But you're stating that it's paid when I bring the vehicle back home.

Is it case by case basis? Doesn't matter to me either way
I may have been mistaken on where all of the taxes where collected. No state wants to miss out on their cut.
Sponsored