Sponsored

What’s wrong with the factory installed which?

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think it’s a bit overpriced, although Warn is great. I’m personally holding out for a bumper which will house the winch inside of it. I hate the platform this winch sits on as it sticks out way to far for my liking.
Sponsored

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are giving up some approach angle with this set up as well. Aftermarket will have many more options for similar or less money after a short time. Personally I am holding out for a Warn 8274, hands down my favorite winch.

I agree the 8274 is the best winch. I had one on a previous LC that was 40 years old, leaked all the oil out, and I still used it all weekend long on some very heavy long pulls, never missed a beat. But it is bulky and mounting one to the front of a Bronco is probably going to be tricky.

I disagree though that this factory winch set up hurts approach angle. Thats the thing I like about it the most....

Ford Bronco What’s wrong with the factory installed which? Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 11.58.50 AM

The angle from the bottom of the front tire to the bottom of front bumper extends right along through the bottom of the winch mount.

I think its about as good as it can get.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Factory installed cost of $2,500. The winch and cable better be made out of gold. Overpriced and shitty placement of the control box make me want to do my own at 1/4th the price. (y)

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

What’s really wrong with the factory installed Warn Zeno 10 winch? Good brand, reliable install with a Bronco/Ford mounting solution (assuming it matches the photo below).

The retail price of the winch is $1200 ( https://www.warn.com/zeon-10-winch-88990 ), plus a Warn mounting system is close to another $1000. Add a few hours of labor and a Ford warranty, and you’re close to $2500 with NO aftermarket hassle or waiting for vendors to get mounting systems designed or fabricated (and baked into your financing).

if you're NOT getting the front camera and don’t need to debate synthetic v. steel, what am I missing?
Ford Bronco What’s wrong with the factory installed which? Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 11.58.50 AM
That winch is $1000 with wire rope and $1200 with synthetic.

I can buy a winch and winch mount capable steel bumper on a JL for less than $1000 and it wouldn't block the front camera

So:
a) overpriced for the value
b) blocks the camera looking down on trail obstacles
c) probably reduces entry angle
d) wire rope adds weight

Bullseye

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Trailblazer, '09 Forester Limited
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree the 8274 is the best winch. I had one on a previous LC that was 40 years old, leaked all the oil out, and I still used it all weekend long on some very heavy long pulls, never missed a beat. But it is bulky and mounting one to the front of a Bronco is probably going to be tricky.

I disagree though that this factory winch set up hurts approach angle. Thats the thing I like about it the most....

The angle from the bottom of the front tire to the bottom of front bumper extends right along through the bottom of the winch mount.

I think its about as good as it can get.
I agree with the factory mount being as good as it gets right now. I myself thought, at first, that the factory setup stuck out too much or looked funny, but I think that's because the factory bumper is actually more tucked in than a Wrangler bumper. So given that, Ford had no choice but to have that winch stick out that far (compared to the bumper). If you look at where the winch is right now in the pic above, it's pretty close to the grill and can't be tucked in any further. On a wrangler, a winch could pretty much sit right on top of the factory bumper and look more "flush" with the front end, even though it's no closer to the grill than the Ford.

Ford Bronco What’s wrong with the factory installed which? 1608143711995

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wait till aftermarket the choices will be amazing

Toffs

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Keep in mind that Warn offers a kit that relocates the control module (under hood) providing less obstruction for the front camera. I do not think the price is unreasonable for what you are getting.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The price tag is what's wrong with it. You can get a WARN VR12 (12k lbs) for under a grand, why shell out 2K+ to Ford?

Bullseye

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The price tag is what's wrong with it. You can get a WARN VR12 (12k lbs) for under a grand, why shell out 2K+ to Ford?
You're also comparing a VR series winch with a Zeon. BIG difference.

Ford Bronco What’s wrong with the factory installed which? 1608152767220

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Bullseye

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, we do have to concede that the winch Ford is offering is the steel cable version. Sure, synthetic is only a couple hundred dollars more, but you'd think they could've sprung for that considering the price they are charging.
Again why it pays to read some Wrangler forums and understand how/when/why winches get selected. My guess is more than a few will buy it for the look alone.

OP
OP
sanford

sanford

Black Diamond
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Subaru Crosstrek, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great options and information. The big issue comes down to mounting the damn thing. Will ARB come up with a mounting solution better [and cheaper?] than the Ford version? I trust ARB can do it, but is it worth the time waiting [and not wrapping the cost in the financing package]? Why not bite the bullet? Especially if you're not getting a front trail camera with the MID package/BD? The Ford solution looks nicer and more integrated than we'll get from a third-party (only if the brush bar is low).