securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm not hung up on engine options. I can live with a 2.3L EcoBoost. Sure, I would like something bigger, but my first vehicle was a GMC Sonoma with a 2.2L naturally aspirated I4. I have no doubt the small EcoBoost would be better than that.

I'm not hung up on transmissions. I hope all of you who who want a manual transmission get your wish, but my knees can't take mashing on a clutch, so I'm getting an auto anyway.

I'm not hung up on suspension in and of itself. I know all of the arguments for and against chair throwing, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Here's what I care about:

1. Capability. If I can go everywhere my friend's FJ Cruiser can go and 95% or so of everywhere an equivalently outfitted Heep Wangler can go, I'm good.

2. Price. I have to be able to afford it without getting rid of my Tundra. I can't not have a pickup truck of some form. If I have to trade the Tundra to get a new vehicle, it would have to be another pickup truck (probably a Ranger, maybe an F-150). Now, part of this is a matter of me saving my pennies, for sure, but not all of it. Ford still has to price it where I can afford the monthly payments after making my down payment without having to carry a retardedly long note (anything longer than 60 months is too long, anything longer than 66 months is retardedly long).

3. Comfort. I don't need it to be super cushy and luxurious, but I need it to not physically hurt me to sit in it. One of the times I had to put my Tundra in the shop, I got stuck with a Camry as a loaner vehicle. My back was killing me by the time I got home. Drove it to work the next day, back was killing me before I made it 5 miles. I suffered through that for 3 days before my Tundra was done. If I'm going to buy a vehicle, I intend to own it for a while. That Sonoma I mentioned earlier? I bought it in June of 2001, traded it for the Tundra in December 2011. So yeah, it needs to be comfortable enough.

4. Unnecessary options. I can suffer through a few unnecessary options to get the upgrades I need, but not many. Part of that goes back to the price discussion. For example, if you configure a Ranger and you want to keep it as base as possible, but add the FX2 or FX4 package, you have to add the 101A group. Fine. I like cruise control and power mirrors (but I can live without them). It also adds the STX appearance package. That adds fog lamps and tow hooks, which are useful, but it also adds decals, aluminum wheels, and "premium" cloth seats. Decals add nothing to the functionality of the vehicle. You can make the argument that aluminum wheels make the vehicle lighter and more nimble (in an "ounces count" sort of way), but what if I just like the steel wheels? Or what if I don't like steel wheels, but I just want that extra inch of sidewall they give me over the aluminum ones? Or what if I have a specific set of aluminum wheels in mind and don't want the Ford ones? And what if I want vinyl seats? I mean, I don't, and especially not black ones, because I don't like sticking to my vehicle in the summer, but there is an argument to be made for vinyl seats (they're water resistant, thus harder to damage and easier to wash after getting them wet and muddy while wheeling). But I also don't need "premium" cloth seats. Point being, tow hooks and fog lamps aren't worth the extra $1000, and I don't want or need anything else in that setup bad enough to pay $1000 for it, especially if that $1000 is going to push it into the "unaffordable" area.
Sponsored

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
hehe. Facts are facts about autos but I agree with you. Manuals are more fun to drive (most of the time). I use to drive a 94 Chevy 454 4 speed. BLAST to drive until your in traffic and an asshat won’t get off your ass. And hill starting with a floor parking brake suuucks.

but like I said. Manual will probably only be on the super base trim and top end “raptor” trim. Would love to drive one. But would hate it for daily use.

ps. It’s a Mercury Grand Marquis!! not a fleet Vic!
I knew it was a Merc... just having fun. BTW... my last automatic was an '85 Mercury Marquis Brougham (Fox platform). It was fun, but only because it was a college beater and I didn't give a damn what happened to it. Probably to this day my favorite car, for that reason.

rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Am afraid that I am going to be something of a 'ricer' with this vehicle. Want 4WD though it will be rare for me to use it and want something with comfortable seating that does not look like every other 'jellybean' SUV on the road.
So for me the killers are appearance (not fat looking, not bland looking), comfortable seating, and not under powered.

Smaller annoyances would be a bulky key fob and not being able to take out the rear seats (in a 2 door) and have a flat cargo space.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

What’s the color option you must have or you’ll walk away?
Since I will not be trekking to escape the Zombie Apocalypse, I don't need ten shades of gray. Please, the Bronco is a fun, adventuresome vehicle, we need some bright, cheery, vivid colors like F-150 Velocity Blue or other similar blues, Antimatter Blue Metallic, being it is almost black does not cut it.

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd like a decent amount of space behind the rear seat for when I go camping with fam, though it may or may not be a dealbreaker. If they phone it in on the off-road cred, that's definitely a dealbreaker. I don't need to do serious rock crawling but I have my eye on some sweet curbs I want to drive over :ROFLMAO:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

At this point from what I've seen of the leaks, the main deal breaker would be price. I don't buy expensive new vehicles. I'd be looking at fun and utility in a base model. The other possible deal breaker, hate to bring it up, is if the IFS is no good in terms of travel and slow speed trail driving. But I'm thinking it will be ok. Other than the delay - I have good vibes about the new Bronco.
I'm with you on price. All I want is a base (XL) with FX4 skid plates and rear locker. I'll deal with getting the tires I want. As for IFS, my son is quite happy with the off road performance of his Tacoma and looking at the front of my F250, there is only about 2" of travel to the jounce stop on it's SFA. I've had 2 BII's an Explorer and F150 with TTB and was quite happy with articulation, my 2000 Explorer with torsion bar IFS and SFA rear was OK, my 2005 Explorer with idependant front and rear was bad, seldom were 4 wheels on the ground in the rough stuff and, well, my 2013 Explorer: worthless

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since I will not be trekking to escape the Zombie Apocalypse, I don't need ten shades of gray. Please, the Bronco is a fun, adventuresome vehicle, we need some bright, cheery, vivid colors like F-150 Velocity Blue or other similar blues, Antimatter Blue Metallic, being it is almost black does not cut it.
Best comment right here. SICK of pavement colored vehicles! My F150 is a nice, bright blue. (well, covered in dust...we need some rain in FL)

Sponsored

Dave2002ti

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Deal breaker no low range available, no skid plates and rock rails, and no lockable rear diff. Other possible deal breakers are turbo charged engines depending on the area under the tq curve and what octane the turbo will run on. I prefer a normally aspairated engine that will run on 87 RON.

Dave Apker

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Deal breaker no low range available, no skid plates and rock rails, and no lockable rear diff. Other possible deal breakers are turbo charged engines depending on the area under the tq curve and what octane the turbo will run on. I prefer a normally aspairated engine that will run on 87 RON.

Dave Apker
I feel like low range is a given.
skid plates are on thr FX4 Ranger so that should be in.
locking rear SHOULD be minimal. Let alone front and rear,

torque curves are spectacular on the 23 and 27. 2700rpm you get full torque.

and I believe they all run fine on 87. but those “peak numbers” are 93/91 numbers

west

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 T-Bird, 71 LTD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would say price, currently Jeep is offering large discounts across their line. I suspect Ford is in no hurry to launch the Bronco at this time.
Sponsored