First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For all the guys who want a manual.... what's so wrong with an auto with selectable gears? Ford did it on their Raptors, what makes you think they can't or won't on their Bronco? I'm looking at it from the perspective of the desert off roading experience. Plenty of Broncos are used for desert running, not just slow speed driving on trails and rocks. With the selectable 6 speed in my Gen 1 Raptor, I've done both and had tons of fun. I don't see why you have to throw a fit about it. I constantly watch rock crawlers with manual transmissions just bombing through sections like maniacs because they can't feather a throttle and work a clutch. Which leads to breaking parts constantly, leaving a mess on the trail, and making everyone's day longer. An automatic is smooth, consistent, and actually are stronger than back in the day. Baja and KOH race teams have gate shifters on automatics.... And for those of us that run fast off road, a faster shifting transmission makes sense.

Yea, driving a manual is fun. I enjoy it for the experience, but what I'm seeing is guys who can't drive worth a damn on the trail. Saying that's a deal breaker is on you. Whatever. But you seem to think manuals are better (not just more fun and engaging which they are) and autos are easily smoother off road. Why wouldn't you be ok with an auto that you can shift?
Sponsored

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For all the guys who want a manual.... what's so wrong with an auto with selectable gears? Ford did it on their Raptors, what makes you think they can't or won't on their Bronco? I'm looking at it from the perspective of the desert off roading experience. Plenty of Broncos are used for desert running, not just slow speed driving on trails and rocks. With the selectable 6 speed in my Gen 1 Raptor, I've done both and had tons of fun. I don't see why you have to throw a fit about it. I constantly watch rock crawlers with manual transmissions just bombing through sections like maniacs because they can't feather a throttle and work a clutch. Which leads to breaking parts constantly, leaving a mess on the trail, and making everyone's day longer. An automatic is smooth, consistent, and actually are stronger than back in the day. Baja and KOH race teams have gate shifters on automatics.... And for those of us that run fast off road, a faster shifting transmission makes sense.

Yea, driving a manual is fun. I enjoy it for the experience, but what I'm seeing is guys who can't drive worth a damn on the trail. Saying that's a deal breaker is on you. Whatever. But you seem to think manuals are better (not just more fun and engaging which they are) and autos are easily smoother off road. Why wouldn't you be ok with an auto that you can shift?
Well.....I think it's more the automatic peeps saying that the auto's are better is the problem. The manual people just want a fvcking manual. Not that hard to ask. It's more fun. Period.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Because I don’t want people to assume that I have a weak left calf and i’m uncoordinated.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“manual is more fun and engaging”.... That’s essentially it. I need that 3rd pedal or I’m out. I don’t care about how much faster new automatics shift or that I can use paddles or select gears, etc. If I’m not rowing gears and it doesn’t have a 3rd pedal, I won’t get one. I don’t live near a desert or drive trails but I do live on an island and the Bronco would see beach duty, camping and mall crawling:)

wrangler comes with a manual option. 1st gen Broncos had manuals. It’s not too much to expect that the 2021 Bronco should have a manual transmission option.

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have nothing against autos and would absolutely get one for my wife, who hates driving stick. Modern autos are great, but I could care less about shift speed and going fast in my off-road vehicle that's shaped like a brick.

I take issue when the auto guys put down people who want a manual. "Only little girls, boys, and old people in my country drive manual." Only insecure douche bags say things like that. Such a weird comment to make.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Even diesel has lost it's price advantage.
At least with diesel, you won't need "93" for a "93 tune".
Just have to watch EGT's..............

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
If no V8 then I’m buying on price so the 4 cylinder needs to be reasonably priced without the Jeep tax FCA uses. If it has the V8 then the sky is the limit.

Also don’t Force e-assist, or hybrid requirements by drivetrains, I’m not a granola eating hippy.

I absolutely do not want auto start stop,

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I absolutely do not want auto start stop,
I can pretty much guarantee that the Bronco will come with auto start/stop.

There are several ways to disable it (keep something plugged into the USB ports, night light plugged into the 110v socket if equipped, ForScan, aftermarket plug-in disablers).

The presence of AS/S should not be a deal breaker. I could see the inability to disable it being a deal breaker, though.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Only granola eating hippies like 4 cylinders, though. :LOL:
Oh I agree, but I would say the same about 6 cylinders too.

Point is, I’ll buy your granola drivetrain but I ain’t paying no more than I must to have the vehicle. Keep the granola purchases to a bare minimum.

My last purchase after all was a 2017 Chevrolet sedan with a 6.2L (with NO start/stop!!!!) - Hopefully that evens out this purchase.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Superds

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
1. gen also had drum brakes. Do you also expect the 2021 Bronco have them?
Gen1 also had a removable roof but we all know the sun causes skin cancer so the new Bronco should have a fixed roof by that thought process then.

crashmc2

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because I don’t want people to assume that I have a weak left calf and i’m uncoordinated.
Do some squats. Crisis averted. And you can be as coordinated as you want, still can't shift faster or smoother. Just an antiquated way to think when owning a modern vehicle to want a manual. Like those guys who wanted a manual in the GT500. It's a fast track car. Why make it slower with a manual? Why make the Bronco a neanderthal on the trails with a manual? My dad says the same though, wants a manual so he has something to do with his hand. But he's a geezer. I guess you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink haha

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do some squats. Crisis averted. And you can be as coordinated as you want, still can't shift faster or smoother. Just an antiquated way to think when owning a modern vehicle to want a manual. Like those guys who wanted a manual in the GT500. It's a fast track car. Why make it slower with a manual? Why make the Bronco a neanderthal on the trails with a manual? My dad says the same though, wants a manual so he has something to do with his hand. But he's a geezer. I guess you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink haha
Are you time attacking trails? For the majority of off-roaders, we want to enjoy our time off-road and outdoors. We want to have fun. Not speed through it as fast as possible. Certainly not with our significant others, kids, pets, etc.

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Please....if your Raptor came with a manual it would be cool as fack! Just to have that option bumps it up a bunch of notches. The RAM SRT 10 was cool because it had a manual and the Viper engine.

People love seeing this in my Lightning and their face when rowing gears in it is priceless. Even my wife loves it!

48803876338_6c96e682be_h.jpg
Sponsored