Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I dont think that's a correct analogy.
Sure is, disc brakes enhance the safety and performance of the vehicle. Same with hard tops: reduced chance of skin cancer (safety) and a hard top only would be lighter than a convertible of sorts and therefore would offer better performance.
Sponsored

SVT-BRONCO

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 F150, 14 GT500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Automatics are fine, but for me going out for a drive, or off-roading is way more enjoyable with a manual. So, may not be important for you, but some of us it is. That's why we are all individuals. lol

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah....for the e-brake.
not so sure. Some cars are going all disk brake with an electrical brake actuator for the e brake. No drum.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can pretty much guarantee that the Bronco will come with auto start/stop.

There are several ways to disable it (keep something plugged into the USB ports, night light plugged into the 110v socket if equipped, ForScan, aftermarket plug-in disablers).

The presence of AS/S should not be a deal breaker. I could see the inability to disable it being a deal breaker, though.
most new cars have a button (near traction control or hazards) to disable it every time you start the car

F150 location
Ford Bronco What’s your dealbreaker for new Ford Bronco? B71E01D5-1EA0-454E-9386-B35E7633AF43

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don’t see how anyone can be anti-manual in this day when automatics are seemingly getting worse each generation. Ignoring the horrors associated with CVTs most of these 8+ speed transmissions are always trying to find the highest (numerical) gear as quick as possible in the name of fuel economy.
We peaked transmission speeds around 6 everything since has been a downward spiral of increasing complexity and costs and decreasing reliability, serviceability, and functionality. I have heard nothing but problems about GMs 8 speed or Fords 10 speed.
It is hard to get a manual transmission wrong as 100% of the programming is in the user.
If you want to an automatic go ahead, but a lot of us younger guys are going for the manual.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
most new cars have a button (near traction control or hazards) to disable it every time you start the car

F150 location
Ford Bronco What’s your dealbreaker for new Ford Bronco? B71E01D5-1EA0-454E-9386-B35E7633AF43
None of my vehicles have start-stop at all, forcing consumers to disable start stop everytime they enter the vehicles is asinine. If I wanted my car to turn off at stoplights I would buy a carbureted 1970s Jalopy, not a brand new vehicle.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

F150 location
Yes, but who wants to have to push that button every time you get in and start it?

There are ways to at least semi-permanently disable it, and those are what I was talking about.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don’t see how anyone can be anti-manual in this day when automatics are seemingly getting worse each generation. Ignoring the horrors associated with CVTs most of these 8+ speed transmissions are always trying to find the highest (numerical) gear as quick as possible in the name of fuel economy.
Agree 100%. Possibly another benefit of eased mileage standards announced today.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
We peaked transmission speeds around 6 everything since has been a downward spiral of increasing complexity and costs and decreasing reliability, serviceability, and functionality. I have heard nothing but problems about GMs 8 speed or Fords 10 speed.
It is hard to get a manual transmission wrong as 100% of the programming is in the user.
If you want to an automatic go ahead, but a lot of us younger guys are going for the manual.
problem with manual today is all of the electronics under the hood. Trying to rev match for you. Closing the throttle late etc. example, the Genesis coupe turbo is HORRIBLE to drive as a manual because you can’t get the timing right now matter how hard you try. I admit when a manual is right it’s great and fun to drive. But I hate manuals in traffic or hilly city roads. Just give me a select shift auto. 10 speed is great for normal driving. I’d you want fun that’s what the S is for.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, but who wants to have to push that button every time you get in and start it?

There are ways to at least semi-permanently disable it, and those are what I was talking about.
True but to any void the warranty because your messing with the ECU and does it pop a light?
I guess I don’t mind because I turn off traction control in my merc every time I get in the car (because 90s traction control SUUUUCK)

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
problem with manual today is all of the electronics under the hood. Trying to rev match for you. Closing the throttle late etc. example, the Genesis coupe turbo is HORRIBLE to drive as a manual because you can’t get the timing right now matter how hard you try. I admit when a manual is right it’s great and fun to drive. But I hate manuals in traffic or hilly city roads. Just give me a select shift auto. 10 speed is great for normal driving. I’d you want fun that’s what the S is for.
My SS sedan is a fantastic Tremec 6 speed manual in a modern car, the problem with the genesis is more than likely the turbo throwing you off, on a linear powertrain like my LS3 is predictable all the way to redline.

The select shift driving you mention is a joke, the only people that don’t find it as anything other than a joke are those that have not used manual transmissions for any decent time. Leave the select shift in highest gear and start driving up a mountain and see how long it will hold the gear. That’s only one scenario but the point is that it never shifts the way you want it to.

The user gets over ridden when the computer is not satisfied. Frankly the feature on automatics is a waste of money.

I don’t want automatic rev matching and I don’t want hill assist. Both of those are easily learned skills on manual trans.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My SS sedan is a fantastic Tremec 6 speed manual in a modern car, the problem with the genesis is more than likely the turbo throwing you off, on a linear powertrain like my LS3 is predictable all the way to redline.

The select shift driving you mention is a joke, the only people that don’t find it as anything other than a joke are those that have not used manual transmissions for any decent time. Leave the select shift in highest gear and start driving up a mountain and see how long it will hold the gear. That’s only one scenario but the point is that it never shifts the way you want it to.

The user gets over ridden when the computer is not satisfied. Frankly the feature on automatics is a waste of money.

I don’t want automatic rev matching and I don’t want hill assist. Both of those are easily learned skills on manual trans.
Good manual transmissions are good

Bad automatic transmissions are bad

There is a middle ground, bad manual transmissions do exist (bad shifting feel, bad gear ratio spreads, prone to failure, etc) and good autos do exist (Not all automatics with a manual mode will shift when you don't tell them to, and modern ones do shift faster than a manual)

Given the choice between a good manual and a good auto though, I'll take the manual, knowing the auto is objectively better but the manual is subjectively more fun.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good manual transmissions are good

Bad automatic transmissions are bad

There is a middle ground, bad manual transmissions do exist (bad shifting feel, bad gear ratio spreads, prone to failure, etc) and good autos do exist (Not all automatics with a manual mode will shift when you don't tell them to, and modern ones do shift faster than a manual)

Given the choice between a good manual and a good auto though, I'll take the manual, knowing the auto is objectively better but the manual is subjectively more fun.
Precisely.

Both transmission options have their place, if your buying a Bronco and expecting it to behave and function like a unibody Explorer/Land Rover kiddie hauler then your buying for all the wrong reasons.

DrPerez007

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep TJ; 2015 Dodge Charger (work); 2016 Jeep JKU; 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat; 2019 Jeep JLU
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m just looking for (hoping for) an improvement over my current Jeep JLU. I love my Jeep, it’s the 8th one I’ve owned, but I think/believe/hope that since Ford went into this to create a direct competitor to the Jeep, that they will come out with an awesome vehicle.
As I have stated previously, it has to be a worthy (or, hopefully, better) competitor to the JLU. It also has to have a certain “curb appeal.” The way Jeeps just generally stand out; you know instantly what they are when you see them without having to read an emblem. It cannot be “just another SUV.” That won’t work. It needs its own “Bronco” instant recognition. I am optimistic Ford will make it so.

4WD with AWD up here in God’s country, price, colors, options, and accessories (enough for me to make it “mine”). I am fine with the 2.3 engine in my ‘19 Ford Ranger and would be happy with that or the 2.7 in the Bronco (depending on weight issues). Auto tranny in 4DR, manual in 2DR (and don’t get me started on those ridiculous “paddle shifters” as a suitable manual replacement).

I expect pricing on new vehicles to be all over the board over the next 90 days as we go thru this current crisis. Jeep is currently offering as much as $4500 off on certain 2DR Wrangler models and $3000 on 4DRs. At least on the leftover ‘19s. Plants are closed, but lots are full. Dealers must still pay the bills, so expect to see some discounts.

P.S. I had five Crown Vics before I got my Charger; always loved those boats! And they clear traffic like nothing else.

Last edited:

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I can rev match my 18 mustang gt just fine. I did replace the stock clutch spring (factory was impossible to accurately determine clutch engagement point)with a Steeda, plus turned off brake start assist or whatever it’s called. There is a location on the shifter labeled “N” for traffic. i agree that stop and go can be a pain.
Sponsored