First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I like it says the top speed was theoretical, ? at 80 mph, when was the interstate built?
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

New ones with autos can hit 10's with basic Bolt ons and tune

Never liked the term "bolt on". I "bolted" a Procharger on one of my stangs. so the term "bolt on" can be deceiving. :)

Like I have said things have really changed since the early days of EFI.

Adk_st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Toyota 4runner TRD Pro '57 CHEVY 6400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Never liked the term "bolt on". I "bolted" a Procharger on one of my stangs. so the term "bolt on" can be deceiving. :)

Like I have said things have really changed since the early days of EFI.
Yeah I edited it. Realized how broad the term is. But it doesn't take much to get them in tens. Lots of videos on YouTube. The 10r80 is a game changer. Forced induction makes 8's and 9's easy too in a full weight $50k car with a freakin' warranty.. which is wild to me.

evoaire

First Edition
First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
They could have tested it here. No need for theoretical numbers, ?.

Lommel Proving Grounds (LPG) - Lommel, BelgiumEdit
  • Latitude and longitude: 51°11′52.65″N 5°19′40.02″E
    The
    Lommel Proving Grounds, also known as Ford LPG, were constructed on land rented from the city of Lommel from 1960.
    • Stats: 796 acres (3.22 km²), 49.7 miles (80.0 km) of roads
    • Major facilities: Humidity chambers, salt water/mud baths, straightaway, high speed track, durability road, special surfaces, side wind facility
    • Major testing: Car and light truck durability; performance, ride, and handling

Sponsored

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Well I wanted to compare the old bronc, to the new one. Take the old best preforming Bronco engine option compared to what we think the best option the new bronc will have.
According to my Google-Fu, the 1966 Bronco was released with a 170ci engine that put out 105 gross HP (89 net HP) and had a curb weight of 3200 pounds, giving it a power-to-weight ratio of 0.033 gross HP or 0.028 net HP per pound of vehicle.

In March of 1966, the 289ci Windsor V8 making 200 gross HP (150 net HP) was added as an option. I can't find the curb weight of the '66 with a 289, but the '67 had a curb weight of 3420 pounds. Assuming the '66 was similar enough, that gives us a power-to-weight ratio of 0.058 gross and 0.044 net HP per pound.

I'm going to skip all of the stuff between the '66 and the '96 Bronco, because I'm lazy and this is already going to get long.

The 1996 Bronco came with either a 5.0L V8 (198 HP, 4570 pound curb weight) or a 5.8L (205 HP, 4740 pound curb weight). These both put out a power-to-weight ratio of 0.043.

It's a safe bet that the new Bronco will come with the 2.3L EcoBoost as its base engine. In the Ford Ranger, that 2.3L puts out 270 HP (I'm assuming net). I have no idea what the new Bronco will weigh, and if someone's speculated on it, I haven't seen it. According to Ford's spec sheet, the SuperCrew Ranger 4x4 (heaviest option, lightest is the 4x2 SuperCab) has a curb weight of 4441 pounds. So the Ranger has a power-to-weight ratio of at least 0.061 hp/pound.

Even if the Bronco weighs 5000 pounds, the 2.3L EcoBoost (tuned identically to the Ranger) would still give it a power-to-weight ratio of 0.054 HP/pound, which is not that far behind the '67 with the 289 V8.

I won't be surprised to see the 2.7L EcoBoost in the Bronco. As configured in the F150, the 2.7L puts out 325HP. If we assume that same 5000 pound weight (source: my butt) for the Bronco, we'd be looking at a power-to-weight ratio of 0.065.

I would be surprised (but not disappointed) to see the 3.3L naturally aspirated gas V6 (290 HP) or the 3.0L diesel (250 HP) from the F-150 engine option line-up in the Bronco, but those would give a 5000 pound Bronco power-to-weight ratios of 0.058 and 0.050 respectively.

Regardless, what I'm seeing is that the new Bronco would have to be an absolute porker to not compare favorably (if not straight up exceed) to the power-to-weight ratios of the Broncos of yore.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

According to my Google-Fu, the 1966 Bronco was released with a 170ci engine that put out 105 gross HP (89 net HP) and had a curb weight of 3200 pounds, giving it a power-to-weight ratio of 0.033 gross HP or 0.028 net HP per pound of vehicle.

In March of 1966, the 289ci Windsor V8 making 200 gross HP (150 net HP) was added as an option. I can't find the curb weight of the '66 with a 289, but the '67 had a curb weight of 3420 pounds. Assuming the '66 was similar enough, that gives us a power-to-weight ratio of 0.058 gross and 0.044 net HP per pound.

I'm going to skip all of the stuff between the '66 and the '96 Bronco, because I'm lazy and this is already going to get long.

The 1996 Bronco came with either a 5.0L V8 (198 HP, 4570 pound curb weight) or a 5.8L (205 HP, 4740 pound curb weight). These both put out a power-to-weight ratio of 0.043.

It's a safe bet that the new Bronco will come with the 2.3L EcoBoost as its base engine. In the Ford Ranger, that 2.3L puts out 270 HP (I'm assuming net). I have no idea what the new Bronco will weigh, and if someone's speculated on it, I haven't seen it. According to Ford's spec sheet, the SuperCrew Ranger 4x4 (heaviest option, lightest is the 4x2 SuperCab) has a curb weight of 4441 pounds. So the Ranger has a power-to-weight ratio of at least 0.061 hp/pound.

Even if the Bronco weighs 5000 pounds, the 2.3L EcoBoost (tuned identically to the Ranger) would still give it a power-to-weight ratio of 0.054 HP/pound, which is not that far behind the '67 with the 289 V8.

I won't be surprised to see the 2.7L EcoBoost in the Bronco. As configured in the F150, the 2.7L puts out 325HP. If we assume that same 5000 pound weight (source: my butt) for the Bronco, we'd be looking at a power-to-weight ratio of 0.065.

I would be surprised (but not disappointed) to see the 3.3L naturally aspirated gas V6 (290 HP) or the 3.0L diesel (250 HP) from the F-150 engine option line-up in the Bronco, but those would give a 5000 pound Bronco power-to-weight ratios of 0.058 and 0.050 respectively.

Regardless, what I'm seeing is that the new Bronco would have to be an absolute porker to not compare favorably (if not straight up exceed) to the power-to-weight ratios of the Broncos of yore.
So now go back and do the whole thing all over again for torque - because torque is what matters. And find an EB model year with a 302. :p

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So now go back and do the whole thing all over again for torque - because torque is what matters. And find an EB model year with a 302. :p
But the question wasn't torque-to-weight ratio, it was power...

I'm going to be leaving work in just a few minutes, but that will give me something to do at work tomorrow, assuming I don't get a case of Cranial-Rectal Inversion Syndrome and forget.

evoaire

First Edition
First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Maybe if we retitled this thread, "Tell us about V8 Mustangs" people will go off topic and talk about what would be a deal breaker when ordering a Bronco.?
Off topic? Someone post having a 4cyl, or 6cyl only, would be a deal breaker. On topic? Another replies and says today’s little engines out perform the old bronco engines (Paraphrasing). On topic? I then stated, let’s see some numbers. Give me some weight to power ratios, then vs now. On topic?

I think your post complaining about staying on topic is OFF TOPIC?

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As a professional Ford dreamer, I insist that any and all comparison between a new model and any classic Bronco that the numbers used for the classic be from the Official Blueprint 306 Bronco Crate Motor. Those numbers ard 365 HP and 365 TQ. For the new Bronco to beat that out we need the base engine to be a tuned 2.7 tt. They can use the 2.3 for rental fleets. But the top end has to either be the GT500 motor or a twin turbo Godzilla!
But seriously because we all love broncos here. A "healthy" small block ford always puts out between 250 and 350 hp. Just by eliminating factory restrictions most fords gain 25 hp or so.

Sponsored

evoaire

First Edition
First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Well laid out for the masses to read. And this was my point. To see where they old vs the new would fare out. In response to those who claim the power would not be there. Now I still understand those who won’t buy without the v8, I get it, for many a reasons. But staying “On Topic” I won’t go into the v8’s here, but at least we now have some approximate figures to consider. Thank You.

OP
OP
Superds

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As a professional Ford dreamer, I insist that any and all comparison between a new model and any classic Bronco that the numbers used for the classic be from the Official Blueprint 306 Bronco Crate Motor. Those numbers ard 365 HP and 365 TQ. For the new Bronco to beat that out we need the base engine to be a tuned 2.7 tt. They can use the 2.3 for rental fleets. But the top end has to either be the GT500 motor or a twin turbo Godzilla!
But seriously because we all love broncos here. A "healthy" small block ford always puts out between 250 and 350 hp. Just by eliminating factory restrictions most fords gain 25 hp or so.
I think this is a fair engine to use as a comparison. Fairly affordable and let’s face it, most people with an early Bronco would be looking at a similar option and not staying with the stock engine.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think this is a fair engine to use as a comparison. Fairly affordable and let’s face it, most people with an early Bronco would be looking at a similar option and not staying with the stock engine.
We can even use the weights for the 2dr against the early broncos and the 4 door agains the 78/79s or the OJs. Since they are better compared for interior capacity.

mike.s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
coming from a pentastar wrangler even the 2.3 would be a step up

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape '09 Mercury Mariner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think your post complaining about staying on topic is OFF TOPIC?
Actually it was intended as a sideways glance at the Bronco6G mods.
I was merely making the observation that several posts were being written concerning V8 Mustangs, V8 broncos, drag strip times and aftermarket equipment of those vehicles. Entertaining and informative posts, but have little or nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Yes, there are a small number of those threads that made loose connection to the original subject.
Nine others seemed to have agreed.

Back to topic:
A dealbreaker for me would be either rear seats that don't fold completely flat, (current Ranger SuperCrew) or a practical option to remove them altogether.
Sponsored