Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Aren't electronic ignition (no points, long life plugs), fuel injection (nor carb/choke), modular wheel bearings (no annual tear down and lube) and disc brakes grand! Heck I've taken to replacing disc pads at about 85K just to have something to do! (and avoid rotor work)

You could add #9 to my list above: More reliable than any previous Bronco
#10 More recalls than any previous Bronco.
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape '09 Mercury Mariner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's been confirmed that a manual will be available, but I wont need one living near a big city.

I want a 2 door well equipped for below $33,000 or I will get a Jeep instead. AND I DONT WANT ANY RECALLS.
Jeep doesn't sell 2WDs.
My bad, they started out as 221 cid (coincidentally the same as Fords first small block V-8, hence my confusion), then 239 cid, 95 hp and 255 and 337 cid.
Might be wrong but I think the 337 was exclusive to Lincoln. 350 rpm idle 7:1 compression IIRC.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

About number 2. You really cant beat the Ford T-18. However modern drivers probably wouldn't make it around the block before giving up. But yeah you are pretty much right on all that.
Yeah, hard to beat a tranny with a granny, better yet a granny and an OD. I had a 1988 F150 with a 302 and non granny 5spd OD I hated.
I learned how to drive a manual with my Dad’s 85 F-250 300 straight 6. It would easily start out in 2nd gear. No overdrive sucked on the highway and it was thirsty.
granny gear was for pulling stumps or slow off roading without hitting the gas.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

#10 More recalls than any previous Bronco.
Yes, I will agree, but stand by #9. Most recalls will be for something minor that occurs in one out of 5000 vehicles.....ya pay ya money, ya take ya chances.

Many early Broncos should have been recalled for self destructing u-joints and vacuum wipers that were a safety hazard .....not to get into the debate that they were prone to rollover at highway speeds.

OP
OP
Superds

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
About number 2. You really cant beat the Ford T-18. However modern drivers probably wouldn't make it around the block before giving up. But yeah you are pretty much right on all that.
I've always been more partial to the NP435 but the T18 is good too.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

“Easy to work on” is irrelevant at this point
That is exactly my point, the great old 1930's to 1960's technology, or lack there of, was simple to troubleshoot, ignition running rough, just get out your points file. Drive through a water crossing and it dies, just spray the distributor cap with WD-40. Can't stop when your front drum brakes get wet, well, there was no fix for that.

(if this does not break out new leaks then we have to go back to discussing pineapple pizza)

phillyfx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
(if this does not break out new leaks then we have to go back to discussing pineapple pizza)

cruel and unusual punishment :eek:;)

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That is exactly my point, the great old 1930's to 1960's technology, or lack there of, was simple to troubleshoot, ignition running rough, just get out your points file. Drive through a water crossing and it dies, just spray the distributor cap with WD-40. Can't stop when your front drum brakes get wet, well, there was no fix for that.

Ha Ha, my first vehicle was a '55 Jeep Utility Wagon similar to your profile pic. One day driving home after doing some stream crossings 50 mph, downhill, red light....no brakes...exciting!!

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My new dealbreaker is a lack of daredevil mode.

If it can't drive on two wheels at the push of a button, I don't want it.

Or should this been in the gripe thread?

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

cruel and unusual punishment :eek:;)
what about...... Shrimp on pizza? :p

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ha Ha, my first vehicle was a '55 Jeep Utility Wagon similar to your profile pic. One day driving home after doing some stream crossings 50 mph, downhill, red light....no brakes...exciting!!
Exciting indeed, been there, done that, and it was not fun. Back about 1972 while in high school a friend was into old car restoration and I caught the bug. I had a 1932 Ford 5 window coupe and a 1947 Jeep Utility Wagon slip through my fingers. I ended up buying a 1938 Chevy pickup as my first vehicle and did a full frame-off restoration. I had to buy three additional pickups ($75-$300 each) to get enough parts and pieces for the restoration. I changed all the running gear to 1950's versions as it was an almost bolt-in change.

The front axle however was original (SFA) so I completely rebuilt it, new king pins, wheel cylinders, shoes, etc. However, when they got wet, they were terrible. I remember a few storms when the brakes got wet and I unintentionally ran a few stop signs, luckily no one or no cops were around., you had to plan your stops a 1/4 mile in advance. I had a friend with a 1940 Ford and he installed disk brakes on the front, this is the only way to go.

(this pic was not mine but similar)
40224217874_1c3f2426f6.jpg

ben5243

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Must have a manual transmission, not linked to the smallest engine or base trim or I'm out.
Not interested in taking an auto transmission back for 50 recalls or feeling that 10speed hunt for gears like the Raptor. Sorry not sorry, simple is better.

Also anything overly fancy like a variable center diff with a billion weak points and sensors to fail. Just give it a simple hi/lo transfer case, manual lever preferred but not a deal breaker.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If people start a “Bronco wave” i’m out.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Would you change your mind if I told you THIS was the Bronco Wave?

Ford Bronco What’s your dealbreaker for new Ford Bronco? giphy
The right hand needs to be glued to the manual shifter.
Sponsored