First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bronco is going to need a diesel to compete with JL Wrangler now. New Defender 110 base engine is I4 turbo with 300hp and a V6 puts you in a Defender at close to $80K and its hybrid. Need to see tq and hp curves and not just peak numbers. 4 cylinder turbos internal combustion engines and my off raod uses just arent compatible. I dont needa vehicle that is "mall rated".

Dave Apker
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bronco is going to need a diesel to compete with JL Wrangler now. New Defender 110 base engine is I4 turbo with 300hp and a V6 puts you in a Defender at close to $80K and its hybrid. Need to see tq and hp curves and not just peak numbers. 4 cylinder turbos internal combustion engines and my off raod uses just arent compatible. I dont needa vehicle that is "mall rated".

Dave Apker
Whichever gasoline V6 Ford ends up going with is going to be better than the diesel V6 in the wrangler, and the F-150 diesel option in nearly every way.

Modern emissions equipment makes diesels a clusterfuck. If you need a HD truck it can be worth dealing with the hassle but for light duty applications diesels suck tbh.

Dave2002ti

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Whichever gasoline V6 Ford ends up going with is going to be better than the diesel V6 in the wrangler, and the F-150 diesel option in nearly every way.

Modern emissions equipment makes diesels a clusterfuck. If you need a HD truck it can be worth dealing with the hassle but for light duty applications diesels suck tbh.
Really??? Over 400 ftlbs of torque in the diesel in the Wrangler which becomes important as folks add things like bumpers, rock rails and other options to make it mall rated. V6 gas engine in the Wrangler is now hybrid and the I4 turbo is owrthless POS for off road. Never emntioned HD truck son.

Dave Apker

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Really??? Over 400 ftlbs of torque in the diesel in the Wrangler which becomes important as folks add things like bumpers, rock rails and other options to make it mall rated. V6 gas engine in the Wrangler is now hybrid and the I4 turbo is owrthless POS for off road. Never emntioned HD truck son.

Dave Apker
Ford Bronco What’s your dealbreaker for new Ford Bronco? 07F79110-FD8E-4647-A0DB-2602D53A0A86

My point about the HD truck is that in those applications dealing with the bullshit a modern diesel requires is worth it because you have such insane capabilities. The 3.0 diesel in the F-150 is *marginally* better than the 2.7 ecoboost with a huge increase in complexity, expense, and maintenance required. There will not be a diesel Bronco because Ecoboost fills the role better.

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My point about the HD truck is that in those applications dealing with the bullshit a modern diesel requires is worth it because you have such insane capabilities. The 3.0 diesel in the F-150 is *marginally* better than the 2.7 ecoboost with a huge increase in complexity, expense, and maintenance required. There will not be a diesel Bronco because Ecoboost fills the role better.
Everyone wanted the diesel wrangler. Then it came out with the same towing capacity and less payload than the 3.6 L variant - when the diesel JT comes out it’s towing capacity will actually be lower than the 3.6L sport.

Add to that the noise and smell on the trail, and maybe the 3.0 ecodiesel isn’t as cool as it sounds.

But the mileage though ...

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Everyone wanted the diesel wrangler. Then it came out with the same towing capacity and less payload than the 3.6 L variant - when the diesel JT comes out it’s towing capacity will actually be lower than the 3.6L sport.

Add to that the noise and smell on the trail, and maybe the 3.0 ecodiesel isn’t as cool as it sounds.

But the mileage though ...
The diesel wrangler is a stopgap until FCA gets their shit together with a FI gas 6 cylinder option.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So it is getting a V6.:unsure:

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco What’s your dealbreaker for new Ford Bronco? 9C7FEF3B-162B-438E-B529-5A9D24367FDB

Saw this over at the JL forum... pretty interesting.

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco What’s your dealbreaker for new Ford Bronco? 9C7FEF3B-162B-438E-B529-5A9D24367FDB

Saw this over at the JL forum... pretty interesting.
Makes sense. Not wise to be spending your entire annual income on a vehicle. The people in the first category are better off looking at older used ones if they want a jeep, would be interesting to see the same poll on a non-JL specific jeep forum.

jimmydaps187

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang and a 1987 foxbody
you can say what you want no v8 no removable hard top option sorry ford ya lost me

topher3134

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Wherever the Army takes me, middle east right now
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250 Superduty FX4, 2012 F150 FX4, 2007 Wrangler unlimited Sahara
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I feel like the deal breaker for me is it won't come to market in the timeframe I am ready to buy a bronco. So that means we will miss each other. Ford really messed this up. I don't want to hear about Wuhan Virus. They took too long to begin with and this shouldnt have been so hard to bring to market. If it fails its because they missed all the sweet spots of flash to bang. I am not sure who in Ford thinks its a good idea to take 5 years or more to bring a vehicle from concept to realization. Unfortunatly I will probably end up with a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited to go with my 2007 Wrangler Sahara that I have over 180k miles on with original motor. I love my f150s and f250s but this was supposed to be my fun ride hard to buy something that doesnt exist. Atleast we get to see tons of photos of the useless baby bronco that no one I know of ever asked for.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I feel like the deal breaker for me is it won't come to market in the timeframe I am ready to buy a bronco. So that means we will miss each other. Ford really messed this up. I don't want to hear about Wuhan Virus. They took too long to begin with and this shouldnt have been so hard to bring to market. If it fails its because they missed all the sweet spots of flash to bang. I am not sure who in Ford thinks its a good idea to take 5 years or more to bring a vehicle from concept to realization. Unfortunatly I will probably end up with a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited to go with my 2007 Wrangler Sahara that I have over 180k miles on with original motor. I love my f150s and f250s but this was supposed to be my fun ride hard to buy something that doesnt exist. Atleast we get to see tons of photos of the useless baby bronco that no one I know of ever asked for.
Ford will be very sad to hear that topher3134 thinks they messed up.
Sponsored