Sponsored

What’s your new Bronco break in strategy?

Rlack75

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2021 Bronco Owners Manual download:

PDF: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/uploads/2021-Ford-Bronco-Owners-Manual.pdf

BRONCO Owners Manual, Page 297, reads as follows:
"BREAKING-IN
Your vehicle requires a break-in period. For
the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), avoid driving
at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive
shifting or using your vehicle to tow. During
this time, your vehicle may exhibit some
unusual driving characteristics."
“…avoid driving at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive shifting or using your vehicle to tow.”

These are subjective and up for individual interpretations:
High Speeds
Heavy Braking
Aggressive Shifting

This is the only definitive one:
Towing

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Drive it

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco What’s your new Bronco break in strategy? explorer off cl

Oh wait that's what i'm going to do with the Sporttrac

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Honestly not a firm believer in strict break-in procedures. I'll take it easy for the first 500 miles or so but will follow the recommended fluid change schedule. Hasn't failed me in 30 years of driving so....
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The OPs break-in recommendations (along with many other peoples’ overly-complex break-in rituals) strike me as being informed by 99% superstition and 1% reality.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just wondering who has a breakin plan for their Bronco when they get it?

For any new car, I change the oil/filter at 100 miles then again at 1,000 Then onto regular oil change intervals.

diffs &Tcase at 1,000 then 5000 then onto regular intervals.

75% of all transmission wear happens in the first 5,000 miles so, trans fluid will be changed at 5,000 and a magnafine in line filter added.

Also, don’t baby it or hammer it while driving for the first 1,000 miles. Avoid highway driving as much as possible in the first 1,000 miles (has to do with properly seating in piston rings).

remember, you only get one shot at this (a proper break in).
It's your money, but in the days of synthetic oil; which is much better than the half real stuff, you don't need to change the oil at 1000 miles and certainly not at 100.

In fact, by draining that break in oil too early before it's able to effectively saturate all of the nooks and crannies you risk having some dry spots where you could have some metal on metal and damaging the engine.

Unless you're either an automotive/mechanical engineer or at least a master mechanic, then please don't try to outsmart the guys that do this for a living at a major car manufacturer who've made cars for over 100 years. Being a Ford engineer is close to an impossible job to get, so I think these guys can be trusted on when to change some damn engine oil.

Just putting the changing of oil at 100 miles out there is a bit irresponsible for the other guys who may read it, not know anything about cars and take whatever they read here as gospel. This isn't 1972 and engine technology isn't what it was then by miles, nor is oil.

Changing synthetic oil in a modern car in less than 6000 miles is totally unnecessary and running a car on regular oil these days just isn't the smart way to go to maximize performance and health of the engine.

Last edited:

ehssey

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport, Harley-Davidson Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“…avoid driving at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive shifting or using your vehicle to tow.”

High Speeds
Heavy Braking
Aggressive Shifting

Towing
Yeah. The "high speed" one is interesting, considering I have to drive from LA to San Diego and back, to take delivery. However, it is the 5 I'm talking about, so I most certainly will hit traffic, so speed may not be an issue...but then, HEAVY BRAKING. Yeah. I'm screwed.

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to drive mine 200 miles home from the dealership, on the highway, probably going anywhere between 65 and 85 depending on traffic.

I'll probably change the oil somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles then use roughly the oil change schedule or every ≈5000 miles which ever is easier to remember.

This is based on roughly following the guidelines outlined by ford and my knowledge as an engineer and former Ford Master mechanic (honestly the master thing is misleading it just means I completed enough online training modules to be "certified" by Ford to do warranty work).

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

High Speeds
Heavy Braking
Aggressive Shifting

Towing
Although you are correct on how subjective the 3 areas are that you point out, the lack of detail involves the vehicle's computers and how they adjust calibrations during the first 1000 miles. All modern vehicles do this to an extent, meaning it can be felt in the form of "weird" driving in some more than others.

BMWs absolutely go crazy during the break in and will sometimes throw warnings if you do too much so to speak.

RPMs rapidly raising or dropping can cause issues and expose some of the yet to be saturated metal bits which will trip sensors and cause premature wear. A BMW engineer went over some of this during one of my Performance Deliveries where I drove a new Bimmer back from the factory in SC to Alabama some years ago. No, I don't understand all of what was said, but I respect it, and respect it coming from an engineer for such a company. Sort of like when I talk economics to regular folks or family and friends, I don't expect much push back, because I went to school for a long time for this shit, just like that engineer did.

Sponsored

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah. The "high speed" one is interesting, considering I have to drive from LA to San Diego and back, to take delivery. However, it is the 5 I'm talking about, so I most certainly will hit traffic, so speed may not be an issue...but then, HEAVY BRAKING. Yeah. I'm screwed.
Similar to you, I will be taking delivery in San Diego and driving 350 miles to the Central Valley. My plan is to take I-15 up to 138 thru Lancaster/Palmdale and up to Mojave. I’ll be adjusting speed at the speed limit and below which my wife will like.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a few neighbors in my neighborhood that have Wranglers (two have brand new Rubicons) and a couple that have TRD 4Runners. Even though I live at the end of the culdesac, they do slow drives through it all the time when it has been nice out. My plan is to do most of my break in by driving back and forth in my neighborhood for hours daily. I hope they don't mind. 😈

:LOL:

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a few neighbors in my neighborhood that have Wranglers (two have brand new Rubicons) and a couple that have TRD 4Runners. Even though I live at the end of the culdesac, they do slow drives through it all the time when it has been nice out. My plan is to do most of my break in by driving back and forth in my neighborhood for hours daily. I hope they don't mind. 😈

:LOL:
In my neck of the woods we have UTVs flying by every evening and basically all weekend long. I'll definitely be returning the favor like you! 🤠
Sponsored