Sponsored

What’s your new Bronco break in strategy?

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

:ROFLMAO:

unfortunately, 80% of broncos will only be used for this type of stuff.
Think about it, off roading in the Starbuck's parking lot can be as dangerous, and as tricky as rock crawling in MOAB. Hitting that lot when the yoga mommies are trying to get their Mocha Latte's after pilates class can be very nerve racking. :)

With that, I'm picking my Bronco up 1100 miles from home. We'll be heading farther west from Iowa before heading back east. I'll do as the OM says, and vary speeds as I go along, and stay off the hard breaking. Those old pesky break in miles will be more than over before I turn into my driveway. :)

Last edited:

JBHillCountry

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Land Cruiser, 2022 F250, 2022 Tahoe Z71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You want to avoid sustained constant RPMs (like highway driving) on the engine for the first 1,000. City driving is actually pretty good for breaking in. If you can’t avoid highway driving it’s not the end of the world and you’ll be fine. This is more for the person that wants to maximize the vehicles life.

One of my first cars I had to drive 400 miles highway. I didn’t like it, but had no choice. I managed the rest in city driving. Got that car up to 80k miles before someone crossed the double yellow line on a divided road and hit me head on.
I have had 20 new Ford trucks last 15 years. Mostly Powerstroke Super Duties, but also 5 Raptors. Have put at least 50k miles on each and some up to 75k. Never once have I observed any kind of "break in period". I simply change the oil every 7500 on the Raptors and 10k on the Powerstrokes. No break in needed. None have been in the shop for anything beyond cosmetic or wear/tear issues (brakes, tires, windshield replacements). These are Fords, not Ferraris. Just drive it when you get it and stop worrying.

Last edited:

Get In The Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 1100 mile journey from my hometown dealership to my current home. I know of a bunch of back roads from town to the highway. The biggest problem I will run into is that once I hit the highway the nearest gas station on the way home is 300+ miles away. Carry fuel with me or go back to town and fuel up….hmm…decisions are tough. 🤔

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I will put the hammer down and fly past those who have pulled over to feel the dash materials.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NachoMama

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The OPs break-in recommendations (along with many other peoples’ overly-complex break-in rituals) strike me as being informed by 99% superstition and 1% reality.
Here’s where I get my 1% reality at.

“Eleftherakis and Khalil determined that between the built-in Type 1 and Type II contaminants from break-in, the average new transmission will generate 75 percent of its lifetime contaminants in the first 5,000 miles. That’s a great clue and can be interpreted a couple of ways. Either you need to change that fluid early to get the contaminants out or start filtering better early.”

https://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/tranny-filter-tech/

Differential break-in should be complete after the first 5,000 miles. AMSOIL recom- mends that all vehicle differential gear lube, especially vehicles operating in severe service, be changed shortly after the break-in period of 5,000 miles and no longer than 15,000 miles.”

Personally, I go for a change at 1,000 and 5,000 then off to regular intervals.

http://www.thedifferentialfluid.com/TSBs/TSB DT-2006-06-29 Differential Oil Change After Initial Break-in.pdf
http://www.thedifferentialfluid.com/TSBs/TSB DT-2006-06-29 Differential Oil Change After Initial Break-in.pdf

I can’t find the link to it but, it was an article about how the most engine contamination occurs in the first 100 miles and the oil and filter should be changed at this point then once again at 1000 miles.

Actually, I forgot another thing that’s a good idea by adding a filtermag (or similar) oil filter magnet from day one and a upgraded magnetic oil drain plug at the first oil change. I use Filtermag and have cut open oil my oil filters and they do work. Thankfully, I have never seen anything like the pictures they post on their website of contaminants caught by the magnet :)
The OPs break-in recommendations (along with many other peoples’ overly-complex break-in rituals) strike me as being informed by 99% superstition and 1% reality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NachoMama

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's your money, but in the days of synthetic oil; which is much better than the half real stuff, you don't need to change the oil at 1000 miles and certainly not at 100.

In fact, by draining that break in oil too early before it's able to effectively saturate all of the nooks and crannies you risk having some dry spots where you could have some metal on metal and damaging the engine.

Unless you're either an automotive/mechanical engineer or at least a master mechanic, then please don't try to outsmart the guys that do this for a living at a major car manufacturer who've made cars for over 100 years. Being a Ford engineer is close to an impossible job to get, so I think these guys can be trusted on when to change some damn engine oil.

Just putting the changing of oil at 100 miles out there is a bit irresponsible for the other guys who may read it, not know anything about cars and take whatever they read here as gospel. This isn't 1972 and engine technology isn't what it was then by miles, nor is oil.

Changing synthetic oil in a modern car in less than 6000 miles is totally unnecessary and running a car on regular oil these days just isn't the smart way to go to maximize performance and health of the engine.
Break in oil can be purchased from many leading synthetic oil companies and could be changed at 100 miles with another brand.
I’ll correct my OP to recommend using break in oil if anyone decides to change at 100 miles.

if you think what I posted was irresponsible, well then, to each their own :)

On a side note, the op was asking what people’s break in strategies(plans) are.

I only listed what I do with my new cars for break in and no where did I say or recommended that anyone do what I do.

it’s kind of disrespectful (implying that users here are naive or dumb) to users on this forum to assume that posts on a forum by random members is gospel. Anyone can post just about anything on here and anyone on here should do their research and make their own decisions as per anything posted on any forum. 👍

Last edited:
OP
OP
NachoMama

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have had 20 new Ford trucks last 15 years. Mostly Powerstroke Super Duties, but also 5 Raptors. Have put at least 50k miles on each and some up to 75k. Never once have I observed any kind of "break in period". I simply change the oil every 7500 on the Raptors and 10k on the Powerstrokes. No break in needed. None have been in the shop for anything beyond cosmetic or wear/tear issues (brakes, tires, windshield replacements). These are Fords, not Ferraris. Just drive it when you get it and stop worrying.
I guess I should clarify a bit. Changing the fluids is more about removing the high amount of contamination generated and removing them ASAP to prevent wear

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

20 trucks in 15 years, with at least 50k each?

You've driven a million miles in 15 years?

PecOBX

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Fortunately i have a really good mechanic that i have relied on for years for all our cars. His guys keep asking me about the Bronco every time i bring another car in for anything. I will likely within the first couple of weeks take the Bronco to them and let them look it over and then follow their advice. I am hoping to have mine delivered so that i have at least a month before we take a long drive for our fall vacation.

Sponsored

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Drive it like I stole it! JK. Whatever my dealer tells me.
"Break It In Like The Way You Want It To Run" is what I was always told with my 70's muscle cars. And I did - as soon as I got the car I went onto the Interstate and red-lined it in every gear and pegged the speedometer at 130 - and they did run. Not sure if that still applies with today's engines. 😬

JBHillCountry

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Land Cruiser, 2022 F250, 2022 Tahoe Z71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I guess I should clarify a bit. Changing the fluids is more about removing the high amount of contamination generated and removing them ASAP to prevent wear
Absolutely. I live in central Texas and my office is out west in Midland. I am out there every week and have been for 20 years. Once out there, it is usually daily trips to the field of anywhere from 250-350 miles roundtrip daily. Currently I have a 2020 Superduty purchased last August with 55k on it and a 2020 Raptor purchased last February 2020 with 31k on it. Lots of miles. The 2019 Superduty I traded for the 2020 had 66k on it in 11 months. 2022 F350 should be here in August, production scheduled for last week of June.

H0pelessOpus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands; 2022 Maverick Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just wondering who has a breakin plan for their Bronco when they get it?

For any new car, I change the oil/filter at 100 miles then again at 1,000 Then onto regular oil change intervals. If you do this, you can also use break in oil sold by many leading synthetic motor oil companies. I don’t know and couldn’t find if Ford uses break in oil for the first 1,000 miles but, I would personally assume they do and if they don’t, I don’t see how using break in oil could hurt.

Alternatively, if you don’twant to mess with the oil in the first 1,000 miles, slap on a oil filter magnet like a filtermag or similar. This would be a great option.

Here is a little info on break in oil:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.a...ng-break-in-oil-in-powersports-equipment/amp/

diffs &Tcase at 1,000 then 5000 then onto regular intervals.

75% of all transmission wear happens in the first 5,000 miles so, trans fluid will be changed at 5,000 and a magnafine in line filter added.

Also, don’t baby it or hammer it while driving for the first 1,000 miles. Avoid highway driving as much as possible in the first 1,000 miles (has to do with properly seating in piston rings).

remember, you only get one shot at this (a proper break in).
Did you even read the article?

"New cars and trucks don’t need break-in oil."

OP
OP
NachoMama

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150