Sponsored

What’s your new Bronco break in strategy?

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Flip on rear locker, turn off traction control, left foot firmly on brake, right foot mashing the skinny pedal to the floor.

Get denied warranty repair for damage caused. Follow that up by ugly crying.
Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Break in oil can be purchased from many leading synthetic oil companies and could be changed at 100 miles with another brand.
I’ll correct my OP to recommend using break in oil if anyone decides to change at 100 miles.

if you think what I posted was irresponsible, well then, to each their own :)

On a side note, the op was asking what people’s break in strategies(plans) are.

I only listed what I do with my new cars for break in and no where did I say or recommended that anyone do what I do.

it’s kind of disrespectful (implying that users here are naive or dumb) to users on this forum to assume that posts on a forum by random members is gospel. Anyone can post just about anything on here and anyone on here should do their research and make their own decisions as per anything posted on any forum. 👍
That's all great, but I am coming from a place of realism. So, truth is that readers on this forum come here to not only be entertained, but to learn as well.

We can say that people need to do research, but to many, this is it; others aren't even on this forum.

I don't think its an epiphany that a large number of Americans take what they read on the internets as gospel. So, unless you've been on Mars for the past year, you'd understand without having to have it explained that there is a responsibility to be as accurate or at least express your intent when posting on the internet.

We all post here to be heard, so make sure that what people hear is actually good information. As I pointed out, that break in oil is meant to circulate the engine for a set period of time and there are computers and sensors that keep track of this progress. The goal is also to help to ensure proper lubrication of all engine parts, including the hard to reach areas.

As oil ages, even synthetic, it changes. replacing prematurely alters these changes whereas the sensors are programmed to analyze the oil at a particular phase of the break in period. This is why the vehicle may drive "different" as it calibrates.

Anyway, my post isn't intended to change your mind and actually are not meant for you. My posts are meant for the guys who come here to learn a little or at least better understand options and different perspectives. Mine tells me to follow the advice of the automotive engineers who earn over $400K per year, not randoms on the internet with what may be questionable credentials on a particular topic.

I'm no engineer, but I leave complex stuff to the professionals.

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whole Foods. Home Depot. Bed Bath Beyond if there is time.
Maybe try streaking up the quad. Everybody's doin it.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP's initial post is way overkill. Just vary the speed and don't over do it for the first 1000 miles and you're good. I've had more than one 100K+ mileage vehicle I bought new and I've never changed oil early. No need.

Personally, I'm picking up my Bronco at Stephens in WV then driving back to NC. I'm looking forward to the adventure and will not be thinking about my engine oil at all.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just wondering who has a break in plan for their Bronco when they get it?

For any new car, I change the oil/filter at 100 miles then again at 1,000 Then onto regular oil change intervals.

Alternatively, if you don’twant to mess with the oil in the first 1,000 miles, slap on a oil filter magnet like a filtermag or similar. This would be a great option.

I do diffs &Tcase at 1,000 then 5000 then onto regular intervals.

75% of all transmission wear happens in the first 5,000 miles so, trans fluid will be changed at 5,000 and a magnafine in line filter added.

Also, I don’t baby it or hammer it while driving for the first 1,000 miles. Avoid highway driving as much as possible in the first 1,000 miles (has to do with properly seating in piston rings ).

remember, you only get one shot at this (a proper break in).
For modern vehicle manufactured with industry-standard procedures, this is way over kill. Just follow the manufacturer's suggested break-in and maintenance procedures.

Krisegon

Outer Banks
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GMC Yukon SLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

With that, I'm picking my Bronco up 1100 miles from home. We'll be heading farther west from Iowa before heading back east. I'll do as the OM says, and vary speeds as I go along, and stay off the hard breaking. Those old pesky break in miles will be more than over before I turn into my driveway. :)
I'm doing similar. Heading from Iowa, zigzagging west to Colorado, maybe south to New Mexico, then back to Ohio. I'll use adaptive cruise to vary from 15 under to 5 over. I'm choosing to interpret high speeds as 80+.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm doing similar. Heading from Iowa, zigzagging west to Colorado, maybe south to New Mexico, then back to Ohio. I'll use adaptive cruise to vary from 15 under to 5 over. I'm choosing to interpret high speeds as 80+.

@Krisegon Yeah Kris, that's gonna be fun on the roads that allow 80mph. I guess the best is to stay in the right hand lane. As Barney says, "You give 'em 30, they'll take 35" . :cool:

Plans as of now is we'll be heading west to Cheyenne, then northward to the Deadwood/Rapid City area. We've been there before, but there's so much beauty you just can take it all in during one visit.

Pie Grande

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco (eventually)
Your Bronco Model
Base

pandapaul

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Speaking of oil changes.... I plan on always using the factory oil filter. But I'm also going ot use amsoil signature blend. Anyhow, anyone know the filter number for the 2.7 yet? I want to start stocking up.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just plotted out a 400 mile route home that is mostly backroads and even fire roads for the first 300 miles. After that I'm going to drive it normally and change fluids at recommended intervals.

My last new vehicle was a bike that I tried the thrash it method. No downsides that I experienced.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’d allow the initial fill oil to be in there until the IOLM light comes on and then switch to Motorcraft Full Synthetic.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm just going to run through the tail of the dragon on the way home from Stephens and it'll be broken in by the time I get to Arkansas. :geek:

Reaper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This has some good info for my fellow ignorants -
Sponsored