Sponsored

What! An advantage of IFS in rock crawling??

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nothing like a good 'ol Solid Axle vs. IFS debate :ROFLMAO: My goal here is not to say that IFS is better than solid axles or vice versa. My point is that IFS can have some advantages, even in rock crawling!

For reference, I wheel this, so I know damn well how good solid axles are:
Ford Bronco What! An advantage of IFS in rock crawling?? IMG_2171.JPG

Ford Bronco What! An advantage of IFS in rock crawling?? IMG_5079.JPG

In recent Moab videos you can see the new Bronco IFS in action, where upwards movement of 1 tire (passenger side) has zero impact on the other driver tire. In these instances, IFS is GREAT because you do NOT want that driver tire to change its position unintentionally. If this were a solid axle, the upward movement of the passenger side tire would force the driver tire to change position and be at a more extreme angle to the rock, actually creating a worse situation.

By allowing both tires to articulate freely, IFS creates a more stable and predictable vehicle response in this circumstance. Don't let anyone tell you IFS isn't good for wheeling (y) Oh and btw solid axles are still good i guess :rolleyes:

Ford Bronco What! An advantage of IFS in rock crawling?? 1597118528013

Ford Bronco What! An advantage of IFS in rock crawling?? 1597118016341

Let's see out of hand this thread gets ?
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As you mention with IFS, you will remain better traction/ footprint with the wheel not being tilted on its side as when a solid axle does when one side raises up. There are plenty of advantages to both, but it can be said that a solid front axle is built of stronger components. One thing I really do not like about IFS is that the CV boots seem to tear if you even look at them funny. It's not going to be an immediate axle failure, but something you need to keep an eye on. CV axles also rotate on 2 axis (Tilt & turn) where a solid axle rotates only on turn so axle angle are critical. In either axle full lock is very strenuous on the joints when power is applied & will be most prone to failure.

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Solid front axle: less maintenance intensive and likely able to handle heavier loads over extended use. May not offer most advantageous tire contact in some scenarios.

IFS: more comfortable over most terrain.
More parts and somewhat more maintenance intensive.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just had watched that video elsewhere and one thing I noticed is that the back tires picked up alot and it is a Solid axle... especially in the part where that fool was backing up the whole way!

Sponsored

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Solid front axle: less maintenance intensive and likely able to handle heavier loads over extended use. May not offer most advantageous tire contact in some scenarios.

IFS: more comfortable over most terrain.
More parts and somewhat more maintenance intensive.
Having wheeled both designs I agree with this. How it performs aside, I would pick a solid axle for wheeling and an IFS for street. I've rebuilt my two trucks I've wheeled with IFS a couple of times each. At least A arms are not that expensive or hard to change. Never had that problem with a Dana 44 or 60.

With that said, I have a Badlands reserved.......

Pentagram

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco What! An advantage of IFS in rock crawling?? CVJIFS-XK-LSD
If CV axle breakage is your concern get some of this and forget about CV axle fail with oversize tires and lift...btw they are only for 06-10 Jeep Liberty and Commander cost around $2K

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last time I expressed my opinion on this topic I was called a crackhead and a person of low character among other things. I guess the biggest problem I have w/IFS is the IFS mafia that shouts down anybody who tries to discuss it like an adult. Hooray IFS. Hooray Ford.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but I will throw my 2 cents in the fray.

IFS seems like you are on the skids more often than SFA. Whether it is not enough articulation or what the reason is, but I do notice it a lot when watching the hammers cars, even the drivers will say you're on the skids a lot more in the rough stuff, but much faster on the fast stuff. Most of my experience is with old IFS stuff that was not built beefy enough from the start to withstand the abuse let alone anyone who would build beefier stuff aftermarket back then. Now-a-days things are much different and IFS stuff has come a looooong way and the industry supports it a a lot more. I look for good things to come with the Bronco, long travel IFS kits, SFA swap kits, manual sway bar disconnects, lots of aftermarket support.

I will also add that anyone who thinks IFS cannot compete is just dead wrong you need to watch the Hammers because I see it every race, IFS OR SFA the winner is the one who can survive, and both have won just as much as the other recently.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
RCV makes heavy duty replacements for the Toyota IFS shafts and CV’s. Same stuff they use in 4x4 trophy trucks. Only a matter of time before they have some for the broncos.
Unfortunately they are 10x the price of a stock cv axle. You could break 19 cv axles and still be money ahead. Doubt many Bronco owners will spend $2k on cvs. At that point your d44 swap is mostly paid for.

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco What! An advantage of IFS in rock crawling?? CVJIFS-XK-LSD
If CV axle breakage is your concern get some of this and forget about CV axle fail with oversize tires and lift...btw they are only for 06-10 Jeep Liberty and Commander cost around $2K
Where does this shift the weak link to? If you are wheeling hard, you want your weak link, or "fuse", to be something that's cheap(ish), and that you can fix on the trail. I built my off-road rigs so the drive shaft was the fuse, and then you carry a spare drive shaft that you can replace - on the trail - in about 20 minutes using basic hand tools (had to do it once, when I was young and throttle-heavy). Also used to carry a U-Joint (yeah, I'm in Colorado, but not that kind of joint).

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but I will throw my 2 cents in the fray.

IFS seems like you are on the skids more often than SFA. Whether it is not enough articulation or what the reason is, but I do notice it a lot when watching the hammers cars, even the drivers will say you're on the skids a lot more in the rough stuff, but much faster on the fast stuff. Most of my experience is with old IFS stuff that was not built beefy enough from the start to withstand the abuse let alone anyone who would build beefier stuff aftermarket back then. Now-a-days things are much different and IFS stuff has come a looooong way and the industry supports it a a lot more. I look for good things to come with the Bronco, long travel IFS kits, SFA swap kits, manual sway bar disconnects, lots of aftermarket support.

I will also add that anyone who thinks IFS cannot compete is just dead wrong you need to watch the Hammers because I see it every race, IFS OR SFA the winner is the one who can survive, and both have won just as much as the other recently.
You are right that IFS has come a long way, and that IFS rigs have won many Hammers, but the IFS rigs at the Hammers are WAY overbuilt compared to any IFS in a factory produced vehicle. Even the super-beefy Rapter IFS is weak compared to the Hammers rigs. What an IFS rig can do at the Hammers doesn't have much bearing on how the Bronco IFS will perform. I'm not knocking the Bronco IFS; it will be much better on-road than a Wrangler, and will do really well off-road (based on what we've seen). But its still easier and cheaper to lift a rig on a SFA, and over the long term, a SFA will stand up to abuse better, and when it does need work, it will be cheaper to fix. Which is better for wheeling? Depends on your wheeling. I'd rather run through the desert in a Bronco Wildtrak than in a Jeep Mojave, but for me - I'd still rather rock-crawl with a SFA. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I personally prefer the IFS because of the off-road ride quality. Most of my locations require me to drive down miles and miles of dirt roads to reach the area I like to setup base camp for my kayaking trips. My brother has a modded Wrangler and I’ve been out with him several times and after 10min of driving down a washboard road I am ready to walk the rest of the way ?

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I personally prefer the IFS because of the off-road ride quality. Most of my locations require me to drive down miles and miles of dirt roads to reach the area I like to setup base camp for my kayaking trips. My brother has a modded Wrangler and I’ve been out with him several times and after 10min of driving down a washboard road I am ready to walk the rest of the way ?
Yep. If you're talking about Vegas/Southern Nevada area we've probably been on the exact same trails and I've had the same experience.
Sponsored