Sponsored

What Are the Advantages to a Rooftop Tent?

Roundabout

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As a long time ground tent user, I can see the advantage of the ease of setting up camp with a rooftop tent, but I;m wondering if I'm missing anything else? they're looking really attractive to me, but I'm not sure if the savings of the few minutes it takes me to set up a ground tent warrants the price of a rooftop set up.
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
roof tents are BIG now as it gets you away from a wet ground, bugs, etc.

And you may benefit from better air flow from being up higher.

As a long time ground tent user, I can see the advantage of the ease of setting up camp with a rooftop tent, but I;m wondering if I'm missing anything else? they're looking really attractive to me, but I'm not sure if the savings of the few minutes it takes me to set up a ground tent warrants the price of a rooftop set up.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

when you wake up and roll out of the tent you get to have a concussion from hitting your head on the ground ?

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like it only for the reason that it is off the ground. But what if you want to set up camp for a few days and bounce around. In that case you have to fold it up everyday.

I'm a minimalist when I camp. I've never gone back packing (will one day), but all I need are two trees and my hammock. In the rain I stay dryer and cleaner in my hammock than I do in a tent.

Sponsored

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

when you wake up and roll out of the tent you get to have a concussion from hitting your head on the ground ?
And it eliminates the need for morning coffee, at least until the nurse gets you some.

FishKzor

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ground is often wet when camping. Also don't have to deal with snakes and other things on the ground.
I agree. Being here in the southwest desert, snakes and scorpions are real and common threats. Rooftop tents eliminate (mostly) that chance. I won't be getting, as I'm not an avid camper, but I can see the advantage and lure.

Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

zombies can't climb ladders.

Camped 38 or so days straight traveling/hiking/backpacking/mountain biking while zig zaging across the western us in my early 20s. My Kelty red cloud still serves me well today as my go to long term luggage. I can see the comfort and quick deployment of the rooftop and dig them but their cost turns me away compared to a decent ground tent setup.

radprez

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 VW Tiguan SEL Premium R-Line 4-Motion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How easy is it to steal one of these off the roof? Any locks or something?

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pros:
Gets you off the ground and you're not an easy target for bears, et al. Also looks cool.
A big advantage is: Your mattress, sleep bag, and pillow are already in it. No inflating or stuff bagging... (most models anyway)
Hardshell RTT setup in like 4 seconds...

Cons:
If you're old, a middle of the night pee break is a PITA...
Expensive... relative to ground or popup tents.
Once mounted to your truck, you're likely to leave it there all year round... as its kinda PITA to initially install.
If you or your partner are a restless sleeper, everytime they move, the truck moves as the tires flex. Kinda like a popup trailer or 5th wheel RV without ground supports at corners of your rig.
A small one... You might rather have your Mountain bikes or Kayaks on the top of the truck...

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How easy is it to steal one of these off the roof? Any locks or something?
The Yakima Skyrise offered in DIO has a locking mechanism. Other than that it would be a pain in the ass to try and remove at least the 8 bolts holding onto the rack. Plus the average weight is at least 150lbs.

In any case I will be going with a RTT.
Sponsored