Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Modding newb here. I was gifted a pair of 3" ditch lights (previous owner didn't like the look on their truck and doesn't remember brand/specs). There are no labels/logo on the lights.

1. Do any lighting experts recognize these lights?
2. Wattage is unknown. So, I plan to route to AUX 1 / 30A yellow wire in the engine bay. Do I just need to buy some 60 AWG automotive wire to reach the AUX area?
3. The current wires are cut so short that they may not even make it down the gap behind the cowl mount area. Should I try to replace the wires entirely?

Ford Bronco What are these ditch lights? 20221002_162711
Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those look like some chinesium specials from Amazon. Personally I wouldnā€™t run them (especially in a pillar spot), but Iā€™m a snob when it comes to lights. The unfortunate thing about cheap lights is that the beam patterns are generally unrefined, with the lights puking lumens in whatever direction is available.

OP
OP
Bronc6g22

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those look like some chinesium specials from Amazon. Personally I wouldnā€™t run them (especially in a pillar spot), but Iā€™m a snob when it comes to lights. The unfortunate thing about cheap lights is that the beam patterns are generally unrefined, with the lights puking lumens in whatever direction is available.

Thank you! They feel surprisingly hefty (solid steel). You are probably right though. I'll look into other options.

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

also the previous owner cut the wires. usually there would be a connector at the end where you can just use a wire harness to plug it into. if your bronco has the aux switches which is appears that you do, wiring to the bronco is super easy. just go on youtube and there's plenty of tutorials so you can see what you would need to connect the wires.

8cam

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For ditch lights you actually want a broad/shallow pattern which the Chinese imports usually have. Since you got them for free, I'd say go ahead and install them, if nothing else as a trial run. Can't hurt, and you'll learn something. As for the draw, I really doubt they draw all that much. I wouldn't waste Aux1/2 on them, those are for really sizable current draws like a full light bar or rear multi-power requirements. Hook them to aux 3 and see how it works.

Sponsored

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Use the heck out of them but I wouldnā€™t take up Aux 1. Iā€™d throw a relay under the hood and use one of the lower amperage switches as a trigger. I run $23 Amazon lights with Amber and white. For something you might use 10 hours a year I canā€™t justify hundreds of dollars for a brand name.

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with Diode Dynamics SAE driving pattern in amber on my pillars. Something with a narrower pattern doesnā€™t light up the hood as much. I wanted something I could use as a high beam in Cape Cod fog.
Ford Bronco What are these ditch lights? DEA3609E-5CEE-48C8-8C65-837D7C8C95E3
Ford Bronco What are these ditch lights? DDF3E71A-1460-4D36-B3C1-EF08CFB26C1E
Ford Bronco What are these ditch lights? AD77AE70-CD8C-47EE-9114-48C47C8EA5FE
Ford Bronco What are these ditch lights? 757A738D-9432-43CC-9D01-63E7D23495E8
Ford Bronco What are these ditch lights? 5069DF0A-7575-4DEA-9725-0D176B6822F1

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Modding nube here. I was gifted a pair of 3" ditch lights (previous owner didn't like the look on their truck and doesn't remember brand/specs). There are no labels/logo on the lights.

1. Do any lighting experts recognize these lights?
2. Wattage is unknown. So, I plan to route to AUX 1 / 30A yellow wire in the engine bay. Do I just need to buy some 60 AWG automotive wire to reach the AUX area?
3. The current wires are cut so short that they may not even make it down the gap behind the cowl mount area. Should I try to replace the wires entirely?

Ford Bronco What are these ditch lights? Ima
Those are just some "amazon special" lights. Honestly, pretty much garbage. They'll do the job for you but won't focus the light anywhere and will rust within a few months and eventually get water inside.

They'll do the job for you now but honestly if you want a good set of ditch lights check out Baja Designs or Diode Dynamics: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/vehicle-specific/ford-bronco/2021-bronco/

If you do decide to use those, get yourself a harness. THIS harness will work but you'll need to cut the plugs off our harness to give you a positive and negative wire to splice onto those lights: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/crystalux-a-pillar-wiring-harness-2x-wp-2-pin-connectors-baja-designs/

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

china-trump.gif

Sponsored

BostonSasquatch