Sponsored

What are you cross-shopping the Bronco against?

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After reading all of the GVWR concerns in starting to look at F-450s.
Sponsored

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So I'm all in on the Bronco, but when it comes time to actually place my order, I will be looking at a few different vehicles to get an idea if the Bronc is really what I want to buy. So tell us, what are you cross shopping the Bronco against and why?

If I order a Bronco, it'll probably be a 2-dr Badlands, 2.7 auto, High Package, Towing Package, Roof rack. Looking at about $50k invoice w/ destination.

Here's what I'm looking at to compare:
2021 F-150 XLT Super Crew w/ 3.5 Hybrid (or 3.5 EB / 5.0 V8) FX4 package - $49k MSRP
2020 F-250 XLT Super Crew w/ 7.3 V8 & Tremor Package - $51k MSRP
2nd Gen. Raptor Super Crew - $45k-$55k depending on miles

And then out of left field:
Jeep TJ soft-top/half doors w/ I6 + 18ft. bowrider boat - $30k-$40k total

The topless cruising that the Bronco and Jeep provide call to me, but also I like big vehicles and big engines, so that F-250 w/ Tremor is really enticing (especially if I can find one with $10k on the hood like most full-size trucks). I have NO need for a truck (but I also have no need for a Bronco).

What will you all be looking at instead of the Bronco? I assume lots of 4Runners and Gladiators?
Is the 7.3 back?!

BigBend1

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, 2012 Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

2021 Ford Ranger Tremor. The more I look at the disappointing tow capacity of 3500# with the Bronco vs the 7500# of the Ranger has me reconsidering my options.

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor. The more I look at the disappointing tow capacity of 3500# with the Bronco vs the 7500# of the Ranger has me reconsidering my options.
If only it had the 2.7. I am banking on the Ranger Raptor having it.

Clint

Base
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Either Wrangler Rubicon or Gladiator Rubicon. Once you drive with the doors off, there's really nothing like it.

Weister

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I may have to go with a Tacoma TRD Off-road. So far I have been less than impressed with Ford’s release of the Bronco. I love the Bronco. I own a 14 year old Tacoma. I have 211,000 on my Tacoma, and I doubt we will ever see that kind of mileage with a turbo V6. I like dependability over “bold and new.” Ford has screwed this up so bad, I just don’t know that I want to spend $55K on an unproven vehicle that has a reveal like this. I think I have 2 more weeks to decide, but I’m thinking of cancelling my reservation based on what I have seen from Ford since July. Makes me nervous when I have a truck that is nearly unbreakable and they have made the basically the same for 14 years.

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been struggling thinking about ditching either my Loaded non-Sas 2dr BD or a BL w/High & 2.7 for either

Ranger XLT Tremor Package
Tacoma TRD-Off Road

I really want the bronco, but for everything I can get on the Bronco I can get a fully equipped offroad truck for the same price or LESS (with more creature comforts, and just without the Front locker or SB disco.) which for me this being my DD and likely only doing offroad 3x a year, has been difficult to decide

NM Design

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2010 Raptor, 2002 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am in the minority of not necessarily needing or wanting a 4 door truck / 4 door bronco but, recently I have found myself comparing a 2021 regular cab short box F-150...

Quick personal preferences for the F-150
N/A V8
Towing Capacity
3.73 Elect. locking rear axle
$14K cheaper (compared to my Bronco Build: 2 DR Badlands high package)

Ford Bronco What are you cross-shopping the Bronco against? F150.PNG

This isn't an apples to apples comparison, I know, as my Bronco build has ALOT more in the positives that amongst the bronco community don't need explained. But I do find myself thinking what cant this truck do the bronco can...

Sponsored

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if things keep rolling like this I’ll take a hard look at a taco

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m an odd ball, but between a basic bronco with sas/2.7 and a golf r,
I’ve been thinking about the new upcoming R myself!

And Taco TRD Pro or 4Runner TRD Pro.

KindaOrange

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None... hurry up Ford!
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looking for a fun car.

Jeep Willys 2dr
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Camaro SS

phnttom

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Audi TTS, '13 Fiat 500 Turbo, '15 VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

UPDATE
So as of yesterday (Sunday), we decided to pull the trigger and order a 2021 JLU. Other than advanced safety group, we got it loaded including the Sky One-Touch roof. Based on various reasons below and a final amazing deal, guaranteed discount (18% below what would would pay for the Bronco BL) and more. Sucked telling my friend who is the Ford dealer GM that we are cancelling, but thankfully, their sister store is a FCA dealer, so I can still work with him.

Original Post
I have had various vehicles in my day including an few SUVs: '88 Bronco II, 2011 Grand Cherokee V8 Overland, 2013 F150 Platinum, 2015 VW Tiguan.

Wife and I are building a custom off-road trailer, so now need a new rig. I have a WT & BL on reservation; however a few things that have started to concern us as potential Clients are below. Please note I work in construction/Engineering/design, so I know how things change a lot during design/construction of buildings, so the same principal applies to vehicles in terms of process.

The following is my opinion and I know this is what is important to me and my observations. The following will not apply to many on this forum.
1) Ford probably released too much incomplete info too early which is never good for a product in design.
2) The fact that pricing keeps being "updated". This is always a red flag for me.
3) The fact that forums such as this and especially Ford's authorized Bronco Nation seem to be the way they are "launching" information instead of emails to customers and via dealers.
4) Dealers seem to be the most in the dark on average from what I can see.
5) While I was ok with a new product, more I'm thinking I don't want the '21 MY.
6) Price seems to be higher and higher and while I have always believe in you get what you pay for, I think with the Bronco, the hype is contributing to the cost.
7) Can't "pet" the product before buying. This is somewhat important to me, but more so to my wife. She has never had a "new" car. I have had many and have bought a few without test driving. So as this is as much her new vehicle as it is mine, this does come into play.

SO...today we took out three JLU Rubicon's for a test drive. '19 with 3.6L V6, and two different '21 2.0L between 2 different dealers.
First Impressions based on the attached image and the final one we took out.
1) On average it will be about 7-8% cheaper for the Rubicon compared to our speced BL, 2.7 w/o Sask.
2) We loved the Sky One-Touch power roof and have connected with a friend of a friend who has had one for 18 months and without issue.
3) Financing interest rate will be better than the Bronco (at least in Canada it appears)
4) We can have one sooner than later including ordering from the factory.
5) Better after-market initial accessories
6) We could test drive it today and the wife could see where ten's of thousands of dollars is going.
7) Less tech than the Bronco, which does a bit suck: smaller screen, more old-school dash,
8) We can get the colour of leather we want (not available on the Bronco), saddle leather...love it and had it in my Audi convertible, always a looker.
9) Easy to get Cold Weather Package. Overall Jeep did a good job on how they split options into packages and individual add-ons. Currently not a fan of adding a lux package to get heated steering wheel. That honestly should be part of a Cold Weather package.

Conclusion:
All-in-All, I think for us, we can't go wrong with either. But have to say, that Sky One-Touch Roof is truly one very appealing reason for my wife and I to choose the Wrangler.

We won't be making any decisions until after order banks open, we get an idea of delivery, final costs and more.

It was a fun way to spend a day during Covid in Alberta. Cheers folks.

Ford Bronco What are you cross-shopping the Bronco against? IMG_5401

Ford Bronco What are you cross-shopping the Bronco against? IMG_5402
Sponsored

Last edited: