Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I rarely need them, so I've been looking for something more temporary that I can plug into the 12V lighter plugin in the rear and run through the back gate. I know I've seen someone selling a setup like that but have not been able to find it. I'll probably make a bracket for one SS2 or SS3 fog and wire it with a lighter plugin and just install it when I need it.

Just to add more to this. I just bought a set of amber SS2 spots (black Friday deal!) and will now figure out exactly how and where they will go. Probably make a temp mount to the spare as they need to be at or above eye level and not down on the bumper for chase lights.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am learning the reverse light kits from Diode Dynamics can be used as chase lights if you wire to the Aux switch which overrides the reverse or red lights. Diode Dynamics comes with a dedicated harness for the Bronco and wires into the tail lights but you still need to wire into an aux switch and run an amber lense cover to use as chase lights so not ideal.

The Baja Designs kits is only intended to be wired to an aux switch or wired directly with a toggle switch and does not come on automatically when in reverse. you have to manually turn on the switch to light them up. BDs naming on that product is a bit misleading.

so, it looks like if I want chase lights mounted to my roof rack I need to buy individual lights and wire them into the rear up-fitter aux switch located in the passenger side cargo area. Which from what I’ve read is a pain in the ass to locate and use. Other option is to run the wire from the roof into the hardtop behind the bumper and up the frame rail to the engine bay or even along the rack and into the light bar aux option. None of these wiring options are easy in my opinion.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

so, it looks like if I want chase lights mounted to my roof rack I need to buy individual lights and wire them into the rear up-fitter aux switch located in the passenger side cargo area. Which from what I’ve read is a pain in the ass to locate and use. Other option is to run the wire from the roof into the hardtop behind the bumper and up the frame rail to the engine bay or even along the rack and into the light bar aux option. None of these wiring options are easy in my opinion.
I had no problem getting to the aux wiring in the rear of my 2 door. Maybe it's different on the 4 door. The hardest part was connecting the wires behind the glove box as it seems everything was about an inch too short. I will be running a second wire from the glove box to the rear as well to have two switches for rear power.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Diode harness comes with its own 3 way switch. Backlights are tied to the running lights. On the 3 way you have on with reverse, off, and full time on. For this setup you don’t use a aux you use the switch they sent you, fits right next to the window switches.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Someone does make a chase light setup that uses the cigarette lighter plugin. The problem is I can't find it now. Saw it a few months back and can't locate it. That's what I'm planning for mine. A temp setup to keep in the Bronco and quickly attach and plug in for when I need them. I still may end up wiring to an Aux switch, but am leaning toward a temp system that's easy on and off with the cig lighter plugin.

Sponsored

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the same dilemma and ended up with a DD reverse kit. I don't need chase lights with amber every day, so putting on filters is not a problem. But having a good reverse light on a daily basis is a good idea. And I don't have to have 2 sets of pods and wire them.

Wiring to an AUX is not a big deal if you follow the video. Pretty clear.

OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

agree! I don't want to have the guys at the tire shop messing with spare mounted lights when doing a 5 tire rotation or myself at night if on the trail or highway and need to change a tire. Just one less thing to think about.

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Diode harness comes with its own 3 way switch. Backlights are tied to the running lights. On the 3 way you have on with reverse, off, and full time on. For this setup you don’t use a aux you use the switch they sent you, fits right next to the window switches.
The Bronco kit doesn't have a switcher. It's plug in harness plus a wire to the aux.

OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the same dilemma and ended up with a DD reverse kit. I don't need chase lights with amber every day, so putting on filters is not a problem. But having a good reverse light on a daily basis is a good idea. And I don't have to have 2 sets of pods and wire them.

Wiring to an AUX is not a big deal if you follow the video. Pretty clear.
yeah that makes sense. Wondering if i could use the diode lights and harness but mount the lights on the roof rack instead if I extended the wires.

I have used most of my Aux wiring at this point so familiar with wiring to them but the rear is not as easy as front lights. Ill have to check out Diodes instructions to learn more about their approach. Thanks for your feedback much appreciated.

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

agree! I don't want to have the guys at the tire shop messing with spare mounted lights when doing a 5 tire rotation or myself at night if on the trail or highway and need to change a tire. Just one less thing to think about.
Yes, you end up without lights, but it's just two connectors. Just unplug them and remove the bracket. Not as convenient as lights on the rack but the setup is more straightforward and having good reverse lights on a daily basis VS once a year chance a tire in the night...

Sponsored

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yeah that makes sense. Wondering if i could use the diode lights and harness but mount the lights on the roof rack instead if I extended the wires.

I have used most of my Aux wiring at this point so familiar with wiring to them but the rear is not as easy as front lights. Ill have to check out Diodes instructions to learn more about their approach. Thanks for your feedback much appreciated.
You could but you need to find a way to put a connector there. And it does not work with lights on both sides. They should be closer to each other. Check the video, you will get it.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, you end up without lights, but it's just two connectors. Just unplug them and remove the bracket. Not as convenient as lights on the rack but the setup is more straightforward and having good reverse lights on a daily basis VS once a year chance a tire in the night...

The problem I see with using one for both is you end up with something that works for both but maybe not great for either. For chase lights I want eye level and bright. Amber spots to the person immediately behind me in low visibility situations. For backup lights, I want floods bumper level.

I've already replaced my backup bulbs with brighter and will add flush mounted lights into the bumper wired into the reverse lights for dedicated backup lights.

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem I see with using one for both is you end up with something that works for both but maybe not great for either. For chase lights I want eye level and bright. Amber spots to the person immediately behind me in low visibility situations. For backup lights, I want floods bumper level.

I've already replaced my backup bulbs with brighter and will add flush mounted lights into the bumper wired into the reverse lights for dedicated backup lights.
I understand. They work fine. I haven't tested them in the dust, but they work great as required by reverse lights, I mounted them slightly down, and they are on eye level, still.
Sponsored