Sponsored

What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..)

Mdemieville

Badlands
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lincoln MKZ hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been looking at the midland mxt275 HARD. I like that the handheld part of it has the display so the bulk of the unit can be hidden away.

Figure hard mount the midland and pick up a pair of FRS handhelds (to pass out if no one has a gmrs) and I should be covered. I am not super knowledgeable but if I recall the gmrs can be used on the frs freq. The gmrs pay to use is not a huge deal...its not like a full blown test from what I can tell...just some money and register.
I have the same radio and the unit will be installed behind the glove box then the mic will go through a pass through in the dash. Easy to unplug and Noone will ever know its there. During use the mic will be in my tackform mic holder mounted to my Archtype rail.
Sponsored

OP
OP
805BaseSquatch

805BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Chevy Bolt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Gotcha...but, that's for little hand held's too? Like the ones you buy are Bass Pro or whatever?
If they are GMRS yes, if they are FRS then nothing is required. Most the handhelds at the stores are FRS, but they do sell some GMRS as well.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gotcha...but, that's for little hand held's too? Like the ones you buy are Bass Pro or whatever?

I think it's based on the power of the handheld. Above 2 watts (I think) needs a license.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The channel notarubicon productions on youtube has lots of informative videos. For some reason he edits out his eyes blinking, so I can't watch more than one or maybe two videos in a setting before I get freaked out, but if you can get past this and some other quirks, the info he provides is really good.
Haha! I never caught onto the blinks being edited. I like his sense of humor - but, now thatā€™s all Iā€™m going to ever notice. Lots of great info.

Iā€™m rocking a Wouxun KG-UV9G Pro. Iā€™m new to this world (outside of messing around on a CB as a teen). Lots to learn and can get in a bit of a šŸ‡ šŸ•³.

I appreciate setting up comms for small groups access to the SHTF channels - but, if you want any sort of emergency communication youā€™ll need a satellite radio like a Garmin inReach.

OP
OP
805BaseSquatch

805BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Chevy Bolt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think it's based on the power of the handheld. Above 2 watts (I think) needs a license.
Thatā€™s one of various restrictions. The radio has to be specifically certified for GMRS. Also a GMRS bus can also transmit on FRS channels, not vice-versa.

Now letā€™s get back on topicā€¦ seems like GMRS is most popular. Is there a common calling channel used on the trails?

Sponsored
OP
OP
805BaseSquatch

805BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Chevy Bolt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The channel notarubicon productions on youtube has lots of informative videos. For some reason he edits out his eyes blinking, so I can't watch more than one or maybe two videos in a setting before I get freaked out, but if you can get past this and some other quirks, the info he provides is really good.

edit to add: the "official" off road channel seems to be 16 (as in 4x4) in case you need to look for some help/contact out alone. I'm not sure how official this is, 19 seems to be the on road/trucker channel, but that's what a couple videos I watched suggested.
Thanks for all your info! Iā€™ll check out that YouTube channel šŸ˜‚

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

GMRS is most popular for new radios, but there are still a lot of logging areas that require CB radio for position calls. Hoping most of those convert to GMRS soon. 16 seems to be the universal GMRS channel.

OP
OP
805BaseSquatch

805BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Chevy Bolt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

GMRS is most popular for new radios, but there are still a lot of logging areas that require CB radio for position calls. Hoping most of those convert to GMRS soon. 16 seems to be the universal GMRS channel.
Good to know! I have a handheld CB with a magmount antenna I could bring if I ever went to a logging road.

Sponsored

Tmurder1776

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll be adding a CB some point soon reusing my big 102" whip and using the trail sight as a tie down for it (I mount further back and bend it forward like the humvee antennas). I'm looking into getting GMRS and would like to get my ham ticket and add something in that right. Plus adding APRS capability would be really neat.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes if they are GRMS (not so for FRS) - but nobody is checking you. You would need to consistently interfere with some sort of business communications in your area on a channel they routinely use in order to draw the ire of someone that would complain.

Then - it isn't like a cell phone when you PTT on a handheld that your location is immediately known. They would be looking for a needle in a haystack.

The chances of you ever getting in trouble for not having a license are almost non-existent.

That being said - it's $35 for 10 years and covers your family so support radio communications and toss them the $35.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes if they are GRMS (not so for FRS) - but nobody is checking you. You would need to consistently interfere with some sort of business communications in your area on a channel they routinely use in order to draw the ire of someone that would complain.

Then - it isn't like a cell phone when you PTT on a handheld that your location is immediately known. They would be looking for a needle in a haystack.

The chances of you ever getting in trouble for not having a license are almost non-existent.

That being said - it's $35 for 10 years and covers your family so support radio communications and toss them the $35.
That's weird, when I buy those little radios I don't see anything about that requirement, but I"m not really looking at the fine print. Ha

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those little radios are actually FRS (family radio service), while the frequencies are available on GMRS radios, they are set to broadcast at a much lower wattage.