Sponsored

What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..)

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I plan to steal your design. I have scrap steel but that alum is more better except I can't weld it.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™ve been running a couple of the new Rugged Radios and three Baofengs (UV5R) for the past year or so on dirt bikes. Been using the rugged radios business bands and just got my GMRS license last week (still $70). Iā€™ve got all of the radios programmed with the same frequencies plus listen only on several S&R channels, police, fire, etc.

As others have said, channel 16 is the 4x4 channel. 19 is becoming the road channel.

ā€˜Iā€™ll be mounting a 50w in the Bronco, Tremor and in our Camper. Also, Iā€™m looking to pick up an 8w HT (walkie-talkie) to add to the fleet. The Ruggedā€™s and UV5Rā€™s are really limited to about 5w.

Although Ham would be nice, itā€™s just easier with a group to use GMRS. There are a bit more Ham repeaters out there than GMRS repeaters. Although there are getting to be more GMRS repeaters.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Last edited:

Jim Walter

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
midland GRMS handhelds for walking the trails or spotting, Midland MTX275 installed. Still have my Cobra ST...old habits hard to break.

EXO Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Audi S4, Raptor (Previously)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi, did you take off that rear panel to run the antenna wire, and is there any room in there to remote mount the MXT275 unit?

Thanks!!

Ford Bronco What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..) 1643052195911

Sponsored

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi, did you take off that rear panel to run the antenna wire, and is there any room in there to remote mount the MXT275 unit?

Thanks!!

Ford Bronco What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..) 1643052195911
I did not remove the panel just because i was in a hurry and wanted to just check length of wire, mounting options, and functionality. The way it is now is still hidden. Yes there should be room in the panels. The issue might be having to fish the wire with bulky PL259 ends. Iā€™ll eventually open up that panel to see. Just been busy with work at the moment. If someone has done this, feel free to post to help us out.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did not remove the panel just because i was in a hurry and wanted to just check length of wire, mounting options, and functionality. The way it is now is still hidden. Yes there should be room in the panels. The issue might be having to fish the wire with bulky PL259 ends. Iā€™ll eventually open up that panel to see. Just been busy with work at the moment. If someone has done this, feel free to post to help us out.
I'm waiting on my bronco so I won't find out for some time but unless I find out otherwise my plan is to run the antenna thru the grey sleeve with the tailgate wiring.

It will require remove and reattach of the antenna connector but that's OK. I think it's worth my effort to do it clean and invisible. Same with remote mounting the brain unit behind a panel.

It needs a RJ45 panel mount connector to wherever you want you mic plug in to be.

Like this,
Ford Bronco What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..) 1643076078485

Or this thing, and run your cat wire
Ford Bronco What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..) 1643076246216

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here's an installed remote plug in a toyota tacoma. This is the way to do it!!
Ford Bronco What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..) 1643076421474