Sponsored

What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..)

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have dual band Ham radios (Kenwood D710s) in our rigs (my 3rd gen 4R, and my wife's 2dr JK, Ford still thinks I'm not worthy of even a build date yet...). I also carry a couple of Baofeng handhelds for back up and spotting etc. While the group we typically go out with all have radios (and Technician licenses), there may be someone else along without a radio so will let them borrow a hand held held. Also have CBs in them (helps with logging traffic)

We've done a couple of long distance rallies (Alcan 5000 Winter and BajaXL) and comms were required. They did use Business Band frequencies though which are just outside of the HAM frequencies, a true Ham radio would be able to monitor those frequencies, but not broadcast on them. The Baofeng handhelds being sort of unregulated do broadcast at those frequencies, Ham radios need to be modified to use them.

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am a fan of radio communications but never really set one up in a vehicle. I have a handheld dual band VHF, but want to mount a mobile radio in the Bronco.
We do a lot of exploring and dispersed camping, mostly solo trips or with one other vehicle.
What are you usually using your radios for? I imagine off road groups may have a preference and that dictates what you have. It seems FRS would be easiest since there is no license, GMRS is probably the best of all worlds now.

Do you chat with only people in your group, is there a common frequency for reaching out to others (like 19 on the CB)?

thanks for your info!
Ford Bronco What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..) 1642864364913

PRC-152
Programmable and powerful.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As others have said, the little radios sold everywhere can be totally FRS (family radio service)or both FRS and GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service). The thing making the difference will be what Channels the radio uses.

GMRS gets you more power, ability to use radios with external antenna, ability to use repeaters.

I encourage everyone who can afford $35 for a 10 year license to become licensed for GMRS.
WHY?? To limit the FCC from regulating this radio band even more. If licensed users grow in number it shows that this is a useful and needed radio band. If only a small percent of users are licensed the next time an industry needs more room to grow their radio band width the FCC could reason that since so very few use GMRS it would be prudent to make their band width even less.
The FCC has tried to take band width away from HAMs and were met with a unified NO.

Last edited:

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes if they are GRMS (not so for FRS) - but nobody is checking you. You would need to consistently interfere with some sort of business communications in your area on a channel they routinely use in order to draw the ire of someone that would complain.

Then - it isn't like a cell phone when you PTT on a handheld that your location is immediately known. They would be looking for a needle in a haystack.

The chances of you ever getting in trouble for not having a license are almost non-existent.

That being said - it's $35 for 10 years and covers your family so support radio communications and toss them the $35.
I encourage everyone who can afford $35 for a 10 year license to become licensed for GRMS.
WHY?? To limit the FCC from regulating this radio band even more. If licensed users grow in number it shows that this is a useful and needed radio band. If only a small percent of users are licensed the next time an industry needs more room to grow their radio band width the FCC could reason that since so very few use GMRS it would be prudent to make their band width even less.
The FCC has tried to take band width away from HAMs and were met with a unified NO.
The lower GMRS license fee hasn’t taken effect yet. The Schedule of Application Fees of the Commission's Rules was published in the Federal Register March 19, 2021. According to the notice, the fees officially take effect once it is sent to Congress and the FCC's systems have been updated. The FCC will then publish a notice of the actual effective date.

As of today, the fee is still $70.

Sponsored

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Radio Service
Frequency Mhz
Channel
Notes
FRS-GMRS
FRS/GMRS shared - 5 watts max​
FRS-GMRS
FRS-GMRS
FRS-GMRS
FRS-GMRS
FRS-GMRS
FRS-GMRS
FRS-GMRS
FRS primary - 500 mW max​
FRS-GMRS
FRS-GMRS
FRS-GMRS
FRS-GMRS
FRS-GMRS
FRS-GMRS
GMRS
simplex or repeater output - 50 watts max​
GMRS
GMRS
GMRS
GMRS
GMRS
GMRS
GMRS

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m running HAM mounted to the vehicle and carry a handheld HAM which can also do GMRS as well as another handheld which only does GMRS. That way if have two ways to enable a second vehicle to talk to me or another group. There is a mod for my Yaesu where you desolder a resistor and unlock it to also talk on GMRS but I’m not inclined to do that.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd love to see more on this install. Do you have a write-up on it?

I do but it’s on our FB group. Not sure if I’m allowed to share here, but here the gist..(disregard the number on the pics. I had them numbered for the FB post)..

1) Start from the rear to run antenna wire. Punched a hole through the grommet to gain access to the other side of the tailgate. (#7 in the pic).

2) From the inside of the tailgate (hopefully you don’t have a tailgate table other wise you will need to remove that), you can fish the with through the the top by removing the plastic piece (if you don’t have a tailgate table). (#8)

3) Follow the rest of the wires and run the antenna wire with it. (#9) i decided to go bellow versus going into the panel. Follow the channel (#10) . When you get to rear passenger, you can pop the plastic and meet the rest of the wires from there and run all the way to the passenger footwell. Under the glove box you can see a bracket sticking out and you can mount the base bracket there.

4) i ran a mic extension from there to drivers side so driver can use it. You can unplug the extension if you want passenger accessibility.

5) For power, i wired directly to the battery so it can be used even if the vehicle is off. I did add a quick disconnect so the base unit can be removed, moved, or stored somewhere for security if need be. (#12).

6) just recently added the JCR Molle panel (center consol) for the mic to hang.

7) for the antenna, someone is making me a custom mount, that will go on the spare tire carrier..

I think that’s it. Let me know if you have questions i can help with..

D4460F14-CE80-4C96-863E-15C7ACEA13FA.jpeg

F820DF45-DA63-4724-A741-D6D062C1ADA1.jpeg

BEF41A86-5EF0-4240-B198-51822279B973.jpeg

3B9D9D54-0414-47EA-8E10-8B5217E1EEB1.jpeg

E39483C6-927A-4163-AC43-38165282797C.jpeg

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do but it’s on our FB group. Not sure if I’m allowed to share here, but here the gist..(disregard the number on the pics. I had them numbered for the FB post)..

1) Start from the rear to run antenna wire. Punched a hole through the grommet to gain access to the other side of the tailgate. (#7 in the pic).

2) From the inside of the tailgate (hopefully you don’t have a tailgate table other wise you will need to remove that), you can fish the with through the the top by removing the plastic piece (if you don’t have a tailgate table). (#8)

3) Follow the rest of the wires and run the antenna wire with it. (#9) i decided to go bellow versus going into the panel. Follow the channel (#10) . When you get to rear passenger, you can pop the plastic and meet the rest of the wires from there and run all the way to the passenger footwell. Under the glove box you can see a bracket sticking out and you can mount the base bracket there.

4) i ran a mic extension from there to drivers side so driver can use it. You can unplug the extension if you want passenger accessibility.

5) For power, i wired directly to the battery so it can be used even if the vehicle is off. I did add a quick disconnect so the base unit can be removed, moved, or stored somewhere for security if need be. (#12).

6) just recently added the JCR Molle panel (center consol) for the mic to hang.

7) for the antenna, someone is making me a custom mount, that will go on the spare tire carrier..

I think that’s it. Let me know if you have questions i can help with..

Ford Bronco What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..) E39483C6-927A-4163-AC43-38165282797C

Ford Bronco What are you using your comms radios for, and what do you have? (VHF, GMRS, FRS etc..) E39483C6-927A-4163-AC43-38165282797C

Fantastic, thank you!

Sponsored

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m running HAM mounted to the vehicle and carry a handheld HAM which can also do GMRS as well as another handheld which only does GMRS. That way if have two ways to enable a second vehicle to talk to me or another group. There is a mod for my Yaesu where you desolder a resistor and unlock it to also talk on GMRS but I’m not inclined to do that.
I would like to run it, as shown on this Jeep, JL.

Rebel Off Road Bak-Pax Spare Tire Delete Kit, Jeep JL Wrangler

Rebel hasn't been very receptive to doing anything Bronco, at this time. I guess we could always "adopt" (drill) the Jeep mount to fit our Bronco, as I have noticed that others have adapted the round Jeep Brake light to fit our bolt pattern.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've seen a couple Bronco posts that show a power source on top of the dash. It is built in.
Is this an after market item available or a do it yourself from scratch?

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you
So far the only thing I don't like about my BD....no LUX package.

That is a handy place for a power source.

OP
OP
805BaseSquatch

805BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Chevy Bolt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have an Anytone handheld dual band. I’m going to get a mobile GMRS radio to mount in the Bronco, and 2 spare handheld GMRS radios.

@mtap that’s a great write up! Thanks

thanks everyone for your thoughts and info
Sponsored