Sponsored

What armor/skid plates do I need for the 4-door Base?

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I ordered the 2.7 4-door Base w/sas. I don't have it yet, but when I do I will have to buy armor/skid plates before going off road, correct?
I ordered the hd bumper so that comes with a front bash plate.
What other plates do I need, and what is a good company to get them from?
I know, laugh, but I have never done this before so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I believe you can, or will be able to, order OEM plates out of the accessory catalog.

ARB has a plate kit available now (at least I think it is)

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

https://www.ruxerparts.com/oem-parts/ford-kit-skid-plate-mb3z5d032e

I was going to wait on the arb kit but it doesn't include a gas tank skid. Since you already have the front bash plate just keep the packaging and resell it. Up to you but thats what id do.
The 2 door Base comes with a factory gas tank cover, but maybe not the 4 door. They officially call it a 'stone deflector' but I have crawled under there and it is a pretty robust piece of steel. See pic at: https://parts.lakelandford.com/a/Fo...ost-MT/_53891_9424007/Front-Rear/ML21830.html

Last edited:

Sponsored

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mine must be invisible then. I think the link you posted is for the 2 door which has a skid plate. 4 door base models have zero skids.
Ahhh yes you are correct, I was referring to 2 door. I will edit my post thanks

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it isn't 2024 series aluminum, your not doing it right. Aluminum is also easier to recycle when you've used it up. The OEM metal stuff is far too heavy.

OP
OP
tracythemighty

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If it isn't 2024 series aluminum, your not doing it right. Aluminum is also easier to recycle when you've used it up. The OEM metal stuff is far too heavy.
I would think aluminum would crush/indent easier than steel, but then again the Bronco is mostly aluminum, correct? 🤷‍♀️

I did find this video, but it didn't really talk about brands.

Last edited:

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bouncing a 5,000 lb truck off of rocks for any length of time is going to bend skid plates anyway. The key is if that rig is going to weigh 5,245 lbs or 5,500 lbs. and how much you like holding 100 lb skid plates in place as you thread bolts or a 25 lb skidplate... I know what I'd rather do.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tracythemighty

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bouncing a 5,000 lb truck off of rocks for any length of time is going to bend skid plates anyway. The key is if that rig is going to weigh 5,245 lbs or 5,500 lbs. and how much you like holding 100 lb skid plates in place as you thread bolts or a 25 lb skidplate... I know what I'd rather do.
All of this is new to me, so I have a steep learning curve. I saw a video of a couple that used 4WP and it had a big gap in the front skid plate. I will already have the front skid plate though. Is there a brand that is better than others? What did you put on your Bronco?

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All of this is new to me, so I have a steep learning curve. I saw a video of a couple that used 4WP and it had a big gap in the front skid plate. I will already have the front skid plate though. Is there a brand that is better than others? What did you put on your Bronco?
I am still waiting for a high option manual Badlands, which is one of the heaviest configurations. I will be putting this pig on a diet of additional aluminum and carbon and I'll be doing the fabrication myself as time, energy and money allows.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It’ll be fine we’re not taking about full coverage skids. Factory skids on the wranglers work excellent I’m sure Ford will be the same. And I don’t think anyone will be sending their aluminum skids to the recycling place.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’ll be fine we’re not taking about full coverage skids. Factory skids on the wranglers work excellent I’m sure Ford will be the same. And I don’t think anyone will be sending their aluminum skids to the recycling place.
It is more about clawing back payload and range, as the 1500 lbs gets eaten up pretty quickly with 2 or 3 adults and their gear, camping equipment, etc. Even the tongue weight of a trailer on top of that...

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There is not as significant difference between alu and steel skids as some would have you believe. For example, RCI full skid set on a Tacoma is 120lbs in 3/16 steel and 68lbs in 1/4 alu. Aluminum is fine for "overlanding" or trails, but has no business in the rocks. It does not bend, it cracks. Steel can bend if hit hard enough, and it can be bent back and put back on. Alu also does not slide well over rocks. It grabs and gouges. Most of the armor weight on a rig will be sliders and bumpers, but those are 2 areas that I absolutely don't want alu. The point is to protect the rig. Alu is also more expensive and significantly harder for DIY. If you are asking the question about what you need, then it probably doesn't really matter, you will be fine with the OEM set. But don't listen to people on here, me included, or to random people on youtube. Go look at people that drive the kind of trails you will be driving and see what works for them. Rough Country and 4WP parts are...less than top tier. They have their place, which is kids that don't have the money to put anything else on their $2k trucks and just want to hit the trails. Look at Jeep forums, Tacoma, 4runner, etc. They do not get good reviews. The stock armor set is way to thin to provide any meaningful, long term protection from more serious driving, but it will work until someone gets some real armor to market. As far as it being too heavy, that is just ridiculous. If you want REAL armor, wait for White Knuckle, RCI, CBI, BAMF, Poison Spider, or other reputable US fab shops.
Sponsored