What Build Should I Order?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i X-Drive
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Long story short, I'm an 08/2020 reservation holder and I still have no build date. I spoke with my dealer this past week and they're is telling me that there's a good chance that I'll get a build date over the next month or so if I keep my same build: Outer Banks, Sasquatch, Lux, 2.7L, MIC Hard Top.

The twist here is that I was tired of waiting and bought a Wrangler 4xE a few months ago. It's a great vehicle, has a lot of power, averages 35 mpg, etc. It's a great vehicle but I'm by no means in love to the point where I know I absolutely want to keep it. I live in CO and won't have a problem offloading the Jeep when my Bronco is built.

I have a few questions I would love opinions on:

#1. Is it worth it to swap the Jeep for the Bronco now that they've been on the road for a while?
#2. Should I keep the current build and sell it when it's delivered? I'm not sure how the resale market looks for Broncos right now.
#3. Should I switch my build to a non-legacy Heritage Edition? I think it looks pretty cool and I know they'll be harder to come by and I would hope that would keep resale value higher than a normal build.

Thank you very much!
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

#1. Is it worth it to swap the Jeep for the Bronco now that they've been on the road for a while?
It's hard to answer that question because it all depend on when you take delivery. The automobile market will go down at some point—the way central banks are responding to inflation basically assures that. When rates go up the big purchases are usually the first to stop, and automobiles are most people's second biggest purchase. When that happens it's going to be more difficult to turn a profit.
#2. Should I keep the current build and sell it when it's delivered? I'm not sure how the resale market looks for Broncos right now.
Right now the market is still inflated on the Bronco, although much less inflated than it was this past May/June. There is still some pretty hefty markups on the higher trims, but the lower trims are selling much closer to MSRP than they were a few months ago.

As more people take delivery of their Broncos and interest rates continue to climb, that demand will continue to drop. Unfortunately we're short on crystal balls so don't know how fast it'll drop.
#3. Should I switch my build to a non-legacy Heritage Edition? I think it looks pretty cool and I know they'll be harder to come by and I would hope that would keep resale value higher than a normal build.
You are correct. The resale will likely be higher on the Heritage. The problem is that the Heritage is a late availability trim that likely won't start production until Q2-ish. Which means you're looking at a Q3/Q4 2023 delivery. And we don't know what the market will look like a year from now. My hunch is that you'll be able to break even without too much effort. But... that's just a hunch.

The way I see it... the market is on it's way down so if I was going to use my reservation for the express purpose of flipping it, I'd be ordering a sought-after configuration that has a higher chance of being built sooner rather than later. If I was looking to trade-in my 4xe, I'd just order what I'd personally want and make the decision when the time comes.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i X-Drive
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's hard to answer that question because it all depend on when you take delivery. The automobile market will go down at some point—the way central banks are responding to inflation basically assures that. When rates go up the big purchases are usually the first to stop, and automobiles are most people's second biggest purchase. When that happens it's going to be more difficult to turn a profit.

Right now the market is still inflated on the Bronco, although much less inflated than it was this past May/June. There is still some pretty hefty markups on the higher trims, but the lower trims are selling much closer to MSRP than they were a few months ago.

As more people take delivery of their Broncos and interest rates continue to climb, that demand will continue to drop. Unfortunately we're short on crystal balls so don't know how fast it'll drop.

You are correct. The resale will likely be higher on the Heritage. The problem is that the Heritage is a late availability trim that likely won't start production until Q2-ish. Which means you're looking at a Q3/Q4 2023 delivery. And we don't know what the market will look like a year from now. My hunch is that you'll be able to break even without too much effort. But... that's just a hunch.

The way I see it... the market is on it's way down so if I was going to use my reservation for the express purpose of flipping it, I'd be ordering a sought-after configuration that has a higher chance of being built sooner rather than later. If I was looking to trade-in my 4xe, I'd just order what I'd personally want and make the decision when the time comes.
Thank you for your thorough response, it is much appreciated!
Sponsored