Sponsored

What changes you think Jeep will make to the Wrangler??

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Competition is a good thing. It keeps everyone on their toes and trying to out-do the other guys. So what changes do you think Jeep will make to the Wrangler in the near future based on what the Bronco is offering??

My two biggest things I think they will change are finally making body mounted mirrors. And making a removable panel for the rear passengers on the four door. Can't see them going IFS. But you never know,
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think they are overly concerned. There have been Broncos, Scouts, Blazers, 4Runners for decades (almost half a century) and the Wrangler remains virtually the same. I think it's more realistic that Ford trims the number of trims they offer, to have a base a high-end and an offroad specific.

Mirror relocation brackets have been available for decades and cost very little. Moving the mirrors is a no-brainer, but more a marketing gimmick by Ford. It was touted as something special, or well-thought out by Ford when in fact it was a non-issue for Jeep. Offered aftermarket for $30.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think they are overly concerned. There have been Broncos, Scouts, Blazers, 4Runners for decades (almost half a century) and the Wrangler remains virtually the same. I think it's more realistic that Ford trims the number of trims they offer, to have a base a high-end and an offroad specific.

Mirror relocation brackets have been available for decades and cost very little. Moving the mirrors is a no-brainer, but more a marketing gimmick by Ford. It was touted as something special, or well-thought out by Ford when in fact it was a non-issue for Jeep. Offered aftermarket for $30.
I could not disagree more.

Jeep will feel the pinch for the next 3 years. They will have to actually innovate once hard core Jeep guys get to drive a Bronco.

SFA is dead, long live IFS!

Misterbear

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Black Diamond, Jeep Wrangler X
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They'll raise their prices because if it's even more expensive, it must be better. They'll add a color called positron purple. Have a committee of Italian engineers redesign the dash layout to be more ergonomic and logical.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@dcg2 yeah, we definitely disagree. I think the Bronco will be nixed before SFA in the Wrangler. SFA is a more robust way to do things, simpler, easier maintenance. It's just better in most cases, especially off road. The "death wobble" and ride quality arguments are mostly marketing. There are differences, but they are not dramatic or drastic, not necessarily amazing versus dismal.

The Bronco will be hugely popular for three years, then the novelty will wear off and it'll just be another "car". It'll handle well, but it won't set itself apart from the competition. GOAT modes have been around already (although not called that), it's not new. IFS has been around forever and provides a good ride in competitor's vehicles, so Bronco isn't offering anything new there either. The competition has been offering lockers, limited slips, automatically controlled braking that creates a limited slip function to all four wheels. The Bronco really isn't offering anything new, but Ford is marketing the sh*t out of the Bronco to make it appear that its technology is something better, which it really isn't. It's good, but not different.

Bronco was built as a Wrangler fighter but that doesn't mean Jeep needs to respond by changing to be more like the Bronco. The Wrangler has been killing the competition by staying true to its roots, for decades.

Sponsored

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IFS will never happen in a Wrangler, against their DNA.

Larger screen in dash
A Rubicon on 35's
Improved powerplants
possibly restructuring of the cage

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@dcg2 yeah, we definitely disagree. I think the Bronco will be nixed before SFA in the Wrangler. SFA is a more robust way to do things, simpler, easier maintenance. It's just better in most cases, especially off road. The "death wobble" and ride quality arguments are mostly marketing. There are differences, but they are not dramatic or drastic, not necessarily amazing versus dismal.
Yea no. Maybe after WW3 when we are kicked back to the stone age. But as long as industry keeps moving forward, more advanced technologies and architectures will continue to get cheaper and more robust. SFA has a huge legacy lead. This has been changing slowly over the past 20 years and its accelerating. Performance matters. Durability is a money/time question, not "is it possible" question.

THAT said. I don't think the Wrangler will nix SFA soon. At least not across the board. There are some benefits. A FAR cry from "most" situations off-road as has been objectively and unequivocally proven, but there are still some. Jeep can build on that because branding sells.

Edit: As for what I think they will change. I think they will offer 35's from the factory ASAP and probably offer 37's as part of some package because the writing is already on the wall with the Warthog on that one. Right now big tires are hot and there is no reason Jeep can't do a mid cycle refresh starting at the feet.

I should also add that I really don't share the same enthusiasm for the 80's and 90's FSB as others here. It seemed like a cheap hack job off the successful full size trucks. That may get everyone on my a$$ now, but there is a reason it was cut. It was not competing in Jeeps space. This time it is, and it came out of the gates swinging and I think jeep is gonna see stars. (or maybe they are slow clapping and whispering its about d*mn time.) Either way they gotta make some changes

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wrangler offers 37" tires.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nailed it Ace. Jeep's set the bar, and it's the Bronco that will need to get over that bar. IMHO

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

@dcg2 yeah, we definitely disagree. I think the Bronco will be nixed before SFA in the Wrangler.... The "death wobble" and ride quality arguments are mostly marketing...
The death wobble and ride quality related to the recirculating ball steering are not just marketing. I drove a brand new JLU with in Sept 2019 for a few days and the steering was atrocious. Completely turned me off from ever buying a wrangler.

...GOAT modes have been around already (although not called that), it's not new. IFS has been around forever and provides a good ride in competitor's vehicles, so Bronco isn't offering anything new there either. The competition has been offering lockers, limited slips, automatically controlled braking that creates a limited slip function to all four wheels. The Bronco really isn't offering anything new, but Ford is marketing the sh*t out of the Bronco to make it appear that its technology is something better, which it really isn't. It's good, but not different....
Yes, other various vehicles have had some of those features, but none have had all of them together and a removeable roof/soft top. That is where the Bronco becomes the first real competitor to the wrangler since the LR Defender in the 90's, which was more the double the price at the time.

The wrangler hasn't had anything that directly competed with it and Jeep hasn't had a true competitor since the Scouts/Broncos competed with the CJs.

Jeep has toyed with going IFS on the wrangler before and if the Bronco cuts into its sales over the next few years like it looks like it might, then Stellantis will have quite a bit of work cut out for it.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@mjcutri I owned two sfa Jeeps and never experienced it.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Jeep is locked into their basic architecture. A wrangler will always look like a Wrangler and will always have SFA. Even if they wanted to do something different with it, the rabid fanbase wouldn't have anything to do with a significant departure. With that in mind ...

I could see them drastically redesigning the suspension. Wranglers have never been comfortable to drive on pavement and with the introduction of the JK, Jeep reached a whole new bro-crawler segment that demands on-road finesse. They tooled around with increasing road comfort throughout the JK run and the JL took a big leap forward but it's still not a particularly enjoyable vehicle to drive around town let alone take long trips in.

Technology is an easy win here. They already added the front camera. They'll probably introduce a "360" camera next. Larger dash screen and a decluttering of the dashboard. A fully digital instrument cluster. Selectable driving modes. These are relatively minor things to accomplish and will please all but the analog diehards.

I bet 35s will be a factory offering and they'll add MOPAR engine tunes to the mix.
Sponsored